News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Do You Write Poetry?

Started by Nam, March 07, 2016, 07:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

My point stands, though. They were literal writers. Which ironically, why Christians tend not to understand the Bible because they view it as being literal when it's mainly not. Why there are so many versions, incorrect translations etc., of the Bible because what is literal is taken literal but what is figurative or allegorical is also taken literal. I've read and heard Christians read parables (allegories) from the Bible and taken them as being literal.  I responded once, "That's an oxymoron." and the person responded back, "Who you callin' a moron?".

Idiots.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Nam on April 13, 2016, 09:59:04 PM
My point stands, though. They were literal writers.

Which is indeed why I like and understand them.  I don't do symbolism.

QuoteWhich ironically, why Christians tend not to understand the Bible because they view it as being literal when it's mainly not. Why there are so many versions, incorrect translations etc., of the Bible because what is literal is taken literal but what is figurative or allegorical is also taken literal. I've read and heard Christians read parables (allegories) from the Bible and taken them as being literal. 

Lewis Black does a bit on this in his act, pointing out that if Xtian fundies would just ask Jewish rabbis -- part of the group who first told these stories -- they would be told they were always metaphorical, and ignorant goat-herders 2,000 years ago would have laughed at the fundies for taking them literally.

The first time I read the bible all the way thru, I read it literally, as I'd been taught to, and much of it was so absurd and appalling that it helped start me on the road to atheism, which is why I always encourage people to read the bible.  The second time I read it, many years later, I read it as fairy tales and fables, and it actually made a lot more sense -- not complete sense, but more sense than it did when read literally.  Xtians often complain when atheists call their bible fairy tales, and perhaps we should be glad they don't realize how much of an improvement that makes in it.

But back to the subject at hand.  No, I do not write poetry, but I have sometimes tried to put a haiku together because that seems to me more like working a jigsaw puzzle than writing poetry.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Nam

For all you haters of poetry, I wrote this over four years ago:

Drowkcab

uoy rof gnivah m'I sgnileef eseht
nicks ym tsniaga pu gnihsurb era
thguoht yreve thaerb yreve htiw
sdnop delppir ni setarbiv taht

uoy htiw efil a enigami nac I
odneunni tghils dna spiuq fo serutseg ni
gnivil htrow efil a llits tey
rof gnithgif htrow evol a dna

traeh ym dnuora gnivaew era
tguoht yreve dna htaerb yreve htiw
luos ym etarebrever taht

David Garrett Arnold
January 26 2012

-Nam

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 13, 2016, 11:20:57 PM
While we're on the topic, a rant on modern art, which I agree with:

Bunch of people standing and staring at something and saying vacuous crap like

QuoteAs spatial forms become frozen through studious and academic practice, the viewer is left with a hymn to the darkness of our future.
(Generated using Siz's Arty Bollocks Generator) :grin:

QuoteMy work explores the relationship between the Military-Industrial Complex and urban spaces.
(Generated using Siz's Arty Bollocks Generator) :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Nam on April 14, 2016, 12:32:45 AM

Drowkcab

luos ym etarebrever taht

David Garrett Arnold
January 26 2012

-Nam

I hate you and your dna.
Sandy

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Nam

I wrote a quiz on poetry (actually it's my third or fourth one there), play "Page Format" that way you can take your time, if a member don't forget to rate it.

http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Literature/What-Poem-are-These-Verses-From-380398.html

-Nam

Nam

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 14, 2016, 02:54:25 AM
I hate you and your dna.

Get in line. It's pretty long, bring a chair.

;)

-Nam

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Nam on April 14, 2016, 12:32:45 AM

Drowkcab

luos ym etarebrever taht

David Garrett Arnold
January 26 2012

-Nam

That would probably resonate with Bruce.  :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Your poem gave me an idea, Nam. I've adapted some of my favourite verses (by William Blake).

To see a wrold in a grian of snad,   
  And a haeevn in a wlid flwoer,   
Hlod inifinty in the palm of yuor hnad,   
  And etrneity in an huor.

Nam

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 14, 2016, 03:18:52 PM
Your poem gave me an idea, Nam. I've adapted some of my favourite verses (by William Blake).

And etrneity in an huor.

That's not difficult to read since people do not actually read every letter in a word.

-Nam

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Nam on April 14, 2016, 03:21:12 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 14, 2016, 03:18:52 PM

And etrneity in an huor.

That's not difficult to read since people do not actually read every letter in a word.

-Nam

Exactly :grin: I like typoglycemia.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Nam on April 14, 2016, 02:54:41 PM
I hate you and your dna.

;)

-Nam

I'll bring cookies too, we might get hungry.  By the way, your poem sounds like song lyrics, are you sure you didn't write "Feelings"?
Sandy

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 14, 2016, 11:32:43 PM
Quote from: Nam on April 14, 2016, 02:54:41 PM
I hate you and your dna.

;)

-Nam

I'll bring cookies too, we might get hungry.  By the way, your poem sounds like song lyrics, are you sure you didn't write "Feelings"?

Can I come to your party?
You see, I came here because I thought this was about "The Art of Poetry Recitation," but..um...most people went to the other room to talk about other stuff.  :shifty: I think I like it here better, with you two.

BCE, remember the other poetry thread we had a while back? I think we spoke there for the first time...When Asmo posted his poems... :rofl:
...I'm sorry, Asmo... :grin:
Anyways, we started talking about Asmo and a piñata, and hitting the piñata and watching all of Asmo's candy and confetti....
Nevermind, it was fun.  ;D 

What I'm saying is that I think poetry brings us, you and me, closer...who knows why. Maybe because we both have issues with it.  :grin:

Go ahead, Nam. Post another one, please.  :tellmemore:

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on April 15, 2016, 06:19:36 AM

Can I come to your party?
You see, I came here because I thought this was about "The Art of Poetry Recitation," but..um...most people went to the other room to talk about other stuff.  :shifty: I think I like it here better, with you two.

Of course, join right in!  Can you bring the punch?

QuoteBCE, remember the other poetry thread we had a while back? I think we spoke there for the first time...When Asmo posted his poems... :rofl:
...I'm sorry, Asmo... :grin:
Anyways, we started talking about Asmo and a piñata, and hitting the piñata and watching all of Asmo's candy and confetti....
Nevermind, it was fun.  ;D 

Oh gosh, I have only vague memories of yearning for a Trump pinata at some point.  I think the Asmo poetry may have caused me to blank everything from my mind.   :o

QuoteWhat I'm saying is that I think poetry brings us, you and me, closer...who knows why. Maybe because we both have issues with it.  :grin:

Go ahead, Nam. Post another one, please.  :tellmemore:

I think you are right so, yes, please Nam, roll out another one.
Sandy