News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

"New" Thylacine Footage

Started by Recusant, May 19, 2020, 10:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

I thought there was an existing Tasmanian tiger/thylacine thread but had no joy with the search function. Perhaps it disappeared in the Lacuna event.

A clip from a travelogue made in the mid-30s shows the last known living thylacine. Not cheerful footage, but then really none of the footage we have of thylacines is. The only YouTube version I found is from Guardian News, who plastered their obnoxious large captions onto it. Not recommended. A better version is available at ABC, linked below.

"Newly discovered footage of last-known Tasmanian tiger released" | ABC

QuoteNew vision of Tasmania's last-known thylacine has been unearthed by tiger enthusiasts digging through the National Film and Sound Archives (NFSA).

The 21-second clip, which shows the male thylacine, sometimes referred to as Benjamin, in its enclosure in Hobart's Beaumaris Zoo, is believed to be the last footage of the animal.

"This is the only one in captivity in the world," the film's narrator says, as onlookers are seen to rattle the marsupial's cage.

"The Tasmanian tiger is now very rare, being forced out of its natural habitat by the march of civilisation."

According to the NFSA, fewer than 10 films of the thylacine have survived, with just minutes of footage in total.

[Continues . . .]

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

that is absolutely cool. but sad, you know.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Bluenose

There are occasional reports of Thylacine sightings in parts of Tasmania and even on the mainland at times.  I doubt the mainland sightings are legit, but there is a slight possibility for the Tasmanian ones, as much of that state is remote and a fair bit is pretty much heavily wooded.  Nevertheless, that is really a bit of a forlorn hope in my opinion.  Much more likely is the possible resurrection of the species from DNA in some of the preserved samples, but I don't think the state of the art is quite there yet.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett