Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 8214 times)

Arturo

• Do Something Crazy!
  • Touched by His Noodly Appendage
  • Atheist, Humanist, and Champion
    • You two dig up, dig up dinosaurs?
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2017, 07:37:06 PM »
I just watched Pirates of the Caribbean (2017) on my Dad's tv/computer. Was much better than the previous one with Penelope Cruz. Orlando Bloom had a small but important part to drive the plot as well as the other characters.

There were some plot holes concerning why they needed Jack Sparrow and some missed edits with Captain Barbossa. If you watch the movie to the end you would understand what I mean.

Overall though I would like to see a new one 👍
But, uh...well there it is.
"Nothing's a struggle, but everything is a challenge"-Anon
Hate Is Weakness

BooksCatsEtc

• Surprisingly OK
  • Global Moderator
  • The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is No Cure For Curiosity.
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2017, 07:44:34 PM »
Started watching season 2 of Preacher and have totally surprised myself by liking it, even with all the violence.  It's very funny, and with me that goes a long way.  I'll have to subscribe to Hulu to watch season 1.
Sandy

"I think this is the prettiest world -- as long as you don't mind a little dying, how could there be a day in your whole life that doesn't have its splash of happiness?"  from The Kingfisher, by Mary Oliver

Davin

• Guardian of Reason
  • (o°-°)=o o(o*-°)
    • DevPirates
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2017, 04:05:00 PM »
I just watched Pirates of the Caribbean (2017) on my Dad's tv/computer. Was much better than the previous one with Penelope Cruz. Orlando Bloom had a small but important part to drive the plot as well as the other characters.

There were some plot holes concerning why they needed Jack Sparrow and some missed edits with Captain Barbossa. If you watch the movie to the end you would understand what I mean.

When I watched the first one, I wasn't expecting much, but I really liked it. And while the last two haven't been close to the same level, I still like them. Though I haven't seen the latest one.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

• Guardian of Reason
  • (o°-°)=o o(o*-°)
    • DevPirates
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »
Started watching season 2 of Preacher and have totally surprised myself by liking it, even with all the violence.  It's very funny, and with me that goes a long way.  I'll have to subscribe to Hulu to watch season 1.
I really like that series. I haven't read the comic books, but I've heard a lot of people talk about them. I'll get around to them.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

• Do Something Crazy!
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2017, 09:47:04 PM »
Just watched the first 3-4 episodes of "American Gods." I have to say that I don't see thing going far in terms of seasons but I like it none the less. They characters give subtle clues about who they are in regular conversation and I appreciate that. Except for the leprechaun, he says flat out who he is. There are some interesting scenes with characters that would normally be considered actual "American" Gods like the buffalo, or the wolf, ect.

The main character is African American, and every episode thus far begins with and actual African God doing something, somewhere, in America's history. So far these scenes have nothing to do with the plot. There was also one scene where muhammad [?] has gay sex with a middle eastern man he drove in his taxi. I don't know why this happened. It just happened in the middle of the episode and I didn't understand why.

I am curious as to what the Native American spirits have to do with the plot as they just seem to appear for a moment and not really do much. It is implied there is a war coming between the old gods, and the new gods (also because the description for the tv show says that) and I am wondering where the indigenous american spirits fit into all this. Will they just sit back and watch them tear each other apart and take the people caught in the middle? It's all very interesting as the role they play isn't explicitly stated.

I'd recommend the show to anyone if they don't mind subtle nuance in character descriptions. :thumbsup:
Hate Is Weakness

Davin

• Guardian of Reason
  • (o°-°)=o o(o*-°)
    • DevPirates
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2017, 10:09:51 PM »
Just watched the first 3-4 episodes of "American Gods." I have to say that I don't see thing going far in terms of seasons but I like it none the less. They characters give subtle clues about who they are in regular conversation and I appreciate that. Except for the leprechaun, he says flat out who he is. There are some interesting scenes with characters that would normally be considered actual "American" Gods like the buffalo, or the wolf, ect.

The main character is African American, and every episode thus far begins with and actual African God doing something, somewhere, in America's history. So far these scenes have nothing to do with the plot. There was also one scene where muhammad [?] has gay sex with a middle eastern man he drove in his taxi. I don't know why this happened. It just happened in the middle of the episode and I didn't understand why.

I am curious as to what the Native American spirits have to do with the plot as they just seem to appear for a moment and not really do much. It is implied there is a war coming between the old gods, and the new gods (also because the description for the tv show says that) and I am wondering where the indigenous american spirits fit into all this. Will they just sit back and watch them tear each other apart and take the people caught in the middle? It's all very interesting as the role they play isn't explicitly stated.

I'd recommend the show to anyone if they don't mind subtle nuance in character descriptions. :thumbsup:
The native American gods play a pretty big role in the book. I really liked the book too.

Arturo

• Do Something Crazy!
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2017, 10:28:10 PM »

When I watched the first one, I wasn't expecting much, but I really liked it. And while the last two haven't been close to the same level, I still like them. Though I haven't seen the latest one.

Yes the last two were not my taste but I guess when you are Disney you can shove it down people's throats until they like it. (i.e. cars)
Hate Is Weakness

Arturo

• Do Something Crazy!
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2017, 10:29:53 PM »

The native American gods play a pretty big role in the book. I really liked the book too.

Yes I remember hearing about the book years ago and now I wish to read it.
Hate Is Weakness

Arturo

• Do Something Crazy!
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2017, 01:24:32 AM »

Found this video and lol'd
Hate Is Weakness

Arturo

• Do Something Crazy!
« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2017, 02:07:05 PM »
SHOOT THE MOON!

I would have put this in the good films thread but I think their movies work better as clips.
Hate Is Weakness

Father Bruno

• Deranged Psychopathic Twinkle Toes
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
  • Save water. Shower together!
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2017, 07:52:19 PM »
Lately I've taken to watching "Big Time Amphibian Wrestling" also known as "The BTAW", or as they pronounce it down in Texas were this is really popular, "BEETAW WRESLING"!

By the way that's “Rowdy” Roddy Frogger taking down "Ravishing" Rick Toad!
Every taco is hand rolled with exotic Mexican spices by genuine Mayan Virgins.
Or. Carlos, depending on who's available.

I really, really hate anti-semantics.

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Has Finally Learned to Not Feed The Trolls
  • Angry hippies need to smoke cheap weed.

“I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe.” ~Recusant

"Color me fascinated..." ~Asmodean, The Gray God.

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • On The Warpath
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2017, 01:20:44 PM »
Took another sick day off, so I've got plenty of time to snuggle under the covers and watch bad American Idol auditions.
I'm just a student of the game that they taught me.

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Has Finally Learned to Not Feed The Trolls
  • Angry hippies need to smoke cheap weed.
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2017, 01:59:22 PM »
Took another sick day off, so I've got plenty of time to snuggle under the covers and watch bad American Idol auditions.

“I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe.” ~Recusant

"Color me fascinated..." ~Asmodean, The Gray God.

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • On The Warpath
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2017, 05:26:55 PM »
;D
I'm just a student of the game that they taught me.