News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Thoughts on energy

Started by myleviathan, June 07, 2008, 11:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: "Tom62"My selfishness is telling me that if I rather spend my money on myself than handing it over to the oil-, electricity,- gas- and water companies  ;)
Ah, but the whole point of money is spending it. And personally, I have nothing against dumping mine into state coffers (well, I do when it comes to taxes, but when I do get what I want in return, that's a whole different story)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Will

Ultimately, everyone is responsible for themselves. If things do become bad, I know how to survive (I've got this place picked out in Canada that's amazing). I can build a makeshift cabin over a summer and survive indefinitely assuming I can get a few decent seasons of crops. The only real problem would be dealing with withdrawal fro eating meat, but I have several books on veganism.

I can't stop our corporations and governments from insisting on burning fossil fuels, though I do expend some effort trying to stop them. And that's okay. It's simply the situation I live in. Baring thermonuclear war, I'll probably live a full life. If I don't I'm happy with the life I've lived so far (except for seeing the Alexander the Great movie, my one great regret).

I think we've already established that, overall, atheists are generally more realistic and even intelligent, so it makes sense that we'd find it easier to see the whole picture. This also means that we have a penchant for taking the weight of the world on our shoulders because it seems no one else is working to fix all the great problems.

I'm constantly reminded of the famous Spider-Man quote "With great power comes great responsibility", and a keen intellect is indeed great power. It's important to temper this responsibility with pragmatism, though. In my life, I will probably not be given the opportunity to save the world. If that opportunity DOES present itself, great. If not, that's fine.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

rick

You've brought up a subject that's been on my mind a lot lately myleviathan. I've recently read a book called "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and it was quite an eye-opener. As a result, I've gone organic (I thought I would be the last person to do so) and begun killing my own meat. Of course, all this has to do with food almost strictly, but it's interesting how food and energy are intertwined. I'm a huge fan of oil, but I hate that we are beholden to Islamic thugs as a result of our dependence on it.

I don't know, it's just as if I've been subconsciously preparing myself for a post-apocalyptic world. I almost wish for one for the sake of returning to an emphasis on simplicity.

:banna: (Nothing to do with the topic, I just think the dancing banana is cool.)

myleviathan

Quote from: "Willravel"Ultimately, everyone is responsible for themselves. If things do become bad, I know how to survive (I've got this place picked out in Canada that's amazing)

Dude. Canada? It gets cold there. I would choose central Florida for survival any day of the week. Longer crop season, a lot warmer, vast network of artesian springs for water supply... Plus getting a gun here is not much more difficult than buying candy.

Quote from: "rick"and begun killing my own meat.

My mom and I have discussed starting a meat co-op. Everybody invests in calves, helps raise them, slaughter them, and shares meat.

QuoteI almost wish for one for the sake of returning to an emphasis on simplicity.

I hear you there. I feel a sense of loss, even though we live in a great civilization, a longing for a return to that emphasis on simplicity. We need to be responsible for ourselves, which we are for the most part, but not in the most basic ways. Like food, water, heat, clothing, shelter.

Quote from: "rick":banna: (Nothing to do with the topic, I just think the dancing banana is cool.)

That's just awesome. He's kind of, like, humping the air. That banana sure must be horny.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Will

Quote from: "myleviathan"Dude. Canada? It gets cold there. I would choose central Florida for survival any day of the week. Longer crop season, a lot warmer, vast network of artesian springs for water supply... Plus getting a gun here is not much more difficult than buying candy.
Global climate change isn't predictable and I know how to survive in cold better than heat. Not only that, but I've been involved with contractors who are moving into earth sheltering-based construction in the SF Bay area (specifically Los Altos), and I'm familiar with constructing a home partially underground. Combine that level of insulation with a reasonable wood burning stove and you can keep toasty.

As for meat, it's too inefficient. The feed for livestock, poultry or fish could be going to feed yourself or your family, and you can get protein from elsewhere without getting sick. Plenty of very healthy people lead vegetarian or even vegan lifestyles today. Don't get me wrong, I'll miss bacon, but I'll live.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

rick

Quote from: "Willravel"As for meat, it's too inefficient.
Cows eat grass. Pigs eat bugs, worms, bark, rotting carcasses and garbage. Chickens eat grubs, bugs, and worms (such as are pervasive in cow and pig dung.). Meat is actually quite efficient and much easier to store and migrate on the hoof. Many farms are doing it and it works well.

Virginia for me, please. Not too hot, not too cold, lots of fertile soil for agriculture and lots of oceanfront for blue crab and stripers.

Will

Quote from: "rick"Cows eat grass.
Grass doesn't grow in the winter.
Quote from: "rick"Pigs eat bugs, worms, bark, rotting carcasses and garbage.
Bark and garbage during the winter, maybe, but no bugs and no worms. More importantly, the amount of food necessary to cover the colder months (even in Virginia) would be rather large.
Quote from: "rick"Chickens eat grubs, bugs, and worms (such as are pervasive in cow and pig dung.).
None of which are available in colder months.
Quote from: "rick"Meat is actually quite efficient and much easier to store and migrate on the hoof. Many farms are doing it and it works well.
Kill all animals in the fall, have no animals in the spring. OR feed the animals through the winter and be inefficient.
Quote from: "rick"Virginia for me, please. Not too hot, not too cold, lots of fertile soil for agriculture and lots of oceanfront for blue crab and stripers.
I'd probably have issues with all the Hillary supporters there...  :confused:

myleviathan

Quote from: "Willravel"As for meat, it's too inefficient. The feed for livestock, poultry or fish could be going to feed yourself or your family, and you can get protein from elsewhere without getting sick.

There's always the option of eating the bugs and worms yourself. Insects have a very high protein level for the energy it takes to either collect them or to raise colonies. Much more efficient than livestock, and better for you nutritionally. Not as tasty as bacon though.

In the colder areas of the world, it is possible to collect grubs in bark and trees even in winter. I even knew a guy who kept a 'worm bin' in his house that had compost-eating worms. They thrive all winter long keeping them inside.

Quote from: "Willravel"Global climate change isn't predictable and I know how to survive in cold better than heat.

Our ancestors have been surviving in winter for ages. It's just easier where it's warm.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

crocofish

Quote from: "rick":banna: (Nothing to do with the topic, I just think the dancing banana is cool.)
For some reason, the banana stopped dancing for me.  Dancing banana is a classic "smiley", and it became a big web celebrity in the Peanut Butter Jelly Time video (approaching 7 million views).  Family Guy even made a reference to it with Brian the dog as the dancing banana.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled energy discussion.....
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown