News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Mysterious Rods

Started by McQ, May 27, 2008, 05:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vichy

Public schools are worse.  At least parents aren't directly paid to lie.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." - Fritz

rlrose328

Quote from: "McQ"I like the GIGO analogy. It's true. It is very easy to notice how children are born with a natural curiosity. They explore, they ask "Why?" all the time. But what do we parents do? We tell them to stop asking so many questions. Ugh! What do most Americans tell the two year old who constantly asks, "Why?" They say, "Stop it! Just because, that's why!"

We've got the opposite problem here... from the earliest days of our son's life, if he asked why, we sat him down and in terms he could understand, we'd explain it.  Now, he never asks why because he doesn't want to listen to us any more. LOL!  I'll see a "why" in his eyes but he won't say it outloud.  He's even asked why then slapped his forehead and said, "Why did I ask that!?!"
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

McQ

Quote from: "rlrose328"
Quote from: "McQ"I like the GIGO analogy. It's true. It is very easy to notice how children are born with a natural curiosity. They explore, they ask "Why?" all the time. But what do we parents do? We tell them to stop asking so many questions. Ugh! What do most Americans tell the two year old who constantly asks, "Why?" They say, "Stop it! Just because, that's why!"

We've got the opposite problem here... from the earliest days of our son's life, if he asked why, we sat him down and in terms he could understand, we'd explain it.  Now, he never asks why because he doesn't want to listen to us any more. LOL!  I'll see a "why" in his eyes but he won't say it outloud.  He's even asked why then slapped his forehead and said, "Why did I ask that!?!"

Good job!

Just to be clear, I did not mean "me" or my family when I said, "What do we parents do?" Yikes! I meant the average citizen here in the U.S. And yeah, they do squelch that curiosity big time. Too bad for our kids and for their future if "we" don't change our tunes.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

jcm

This is a funny bit about kids and "why?"

the whole video is good, but you should start watching 6 minutes & 20 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u2ZsoYWwJA
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs