News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

The olympic flame

Started by Tom62, April 13, 2008, 06:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

There has been a lot of uproar lately about the trip of the olympic flame across the world. Silly thing is that the flame is now better protected than any foreign official visiting our country. The Dutch comedian Wim de Bie made two jokes about it, which I find rather funnny (hopefully, nothing gets lost in the translation):

"And now the flame has to travel also through Tibet. Amazing how much that costs. From that money we could offfer thousands of starving people in the world at least one good chinese meal."

"The most disturbing and characteristic news item of 2008 consists of only two sentences:

The Olympic flame arrived in the Argentinian capital Buenos Aires.
The flame was brought immidiately to a secret location after arrival.

Will thet International Red Cross be allowed to visit the flame?"

On the news there are still some officials who claim that sport and politics have nothing to do with each other. That is an illusion, because since the olympic games in Berlin (1936) the olympic games stand very high on the political agenda. There has been a discussion whether or not we should boycot the games, but apparently no country will do that because they don't want to damage their (economicall) relationship with China.

Personally I don't believe that a boycot would work, but the question is what can we and the politicians do to solve the human rights problem in China?
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Will

I think it's funny when a cause becomes trendy. I've been championing Tibet for over 10 years.

There was a political cartoon on Digg the other day that had a man protesting against China wearing clothing made in China. It was kinda funny.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.