Re: Chicken and Xian Family Values

Started by Recusant, August 02, 2012, 03:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: MadBomr101 on August 02, 2012, 08:42:05 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 02, 2012, 08:32:54 PM
Quote from: Crow on August 02, 2012, 08:25:06 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 02, 2012, 08:12:52 PM
People do have short memories, but they tend to remember those who have wronged them for a lot longer than not, so probably when things die down and return to normal that food chain would've lost a good number of customers who didn't like the message they endorsed.

As long as the people that disagree enough to not eat at the fast food chain outnumber the don't cares and the homophobes then that could be very damaging. Does anyone know what the general polls say on homosexual marriage in the States.

That's why I tend to think that it was a smart PR move rather than a stupid one, but time will tell.

I think he was just spouting off his standard Xian ignorance and inadvertently managed to spark controversy that polarized people on either side of the issue.  While they will reap some short-term benefits from Xian supporters, that uptick in business isn't likely to offset the loss of their gay and gay supporting clientele.  How much chicken can Xians eat?  

Which goes back to people's memories depending if they've been wronged or not (they don't have to be gay, gay supporters might be equally as offended). I don't have a clue. I think it was a smart PR move, if they keep up their momentum, or it can all fall apart and they've lost the portion of potential customers and money because of that. If they're adaptable, now might be a good time to adapt to reap the maxinum benefits. Depends on what they do. If they're banned in some state or their installation made more difficult, it could also flare up their stunt a little more.

Time will tell. ???
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

MadBomr101

Quote from: Crow on August 02, 2012, 08:49:20 PM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on August 02, 2012, 08:26:01 PM
Of particular interest, at about the 03:00 point, the company issues a statement that is clearly designed to distance themselves from the comments made by the company president, Dan Cathy, that started all the drama.

That's exactly what I meant by "and still there is a lot of spin that can be applied if they do which will be easy to overcome as the mass majority of people have short memories and believe what you tell them". It means bugger all, the statement was issued by the VP of corporate public relations its their job to issue cookie cutter comments that sound like they don't support something but actually doesn't say that at all, what it really says is that even though we may disagree with your lifestyle we will still serve you and we may stop this but I have no control. Otherwise the statement would have come from somebody with power and use words like "will" rather than "intend".

Oh, I totally agree.  Corporate behavior is nothing if not completely predictable and almost universally insincere.  Dan Cathy says something provocative, there's a huge backlash, company issues a statement proclaiming its neutrality, the scandal plays itself out and all the while the company is loving all the free exposure.  If this was all the result of months of marketing strategy to lionize their company to the enormous Xian market it was a ballsy move and one that could easily blow up in their face.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Crow

Quote from: Recusant on August 02, 2012, 08:45:18 PM
According to the most recent polls, it's very evenly matched, with a slight balance in favor.

Thanks, I knew somebody would know. But wtf protestants are divided by race! (pg.3) Whats that all about?
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on August 02, 2012, 08:45:18 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 02, 2012, 08:32:54 PMAbiogensis, or life constantly being generated from non life, is a disproven scientific hypothesis. Not that that would discourage any creationists...

For the benefit of lurkers: I assume that you're thinking of the hypothesis known as Aristotelian abiogenesis, more commonly called "spontaneous generation," which was famously disproved by Pasteur. Modern hypotheses of abiogenesis are much different, and as far as I know the concept is still viable, from a scientific perspective.

Yes, that's why I added the 'constantly being generated'. Back in Pasteur's day it was a very heated debate. Amusingly, serious people were putting 'recipes' out there for making certain lifeforms such as rats :D There's a creationist video on YouTube when a guy uses a can of peanut butter to attempt to disprove evolution by disproving the old hypothesis of abiogenesis ???

*edited to add link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504

Crow

Quote from: MadBomr101 on August 02, 2012, 08:56:40 PM
Oh, I totally agree.  Corporate behavior is nothing if not completely predictable.  Dan Cathy says something provocative, there's a huge backlash, company issues a statement proclaiming its neutrality, the scandal plays itself out and all the while the company is loving all the free exposure.  If this was all the result of months of marketing strategy to lionize their company to the enormous Xian market, it was a ballsy move.   

How and where was it announced and were there any graphics for it?
Retired member.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Crow on August 02, 2012, 09:00:25 PM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on August 02, 2012, 08:56:40 PM
Oh, I totally agree.  Corporate behavior is nothing if not completely predictable.  Dan Cathy says something provocative, there's a huge backlash, company issues a statement proclaiming its neutrality, the scandal plays itself out and all the while the company is loving all the free exposure.  If this was all the result of months of marketing strategy to lionize their company to the enormous Xian market, it was a ballsy move.   

How and where was it announced and were there any graphics for it?

Saturation advertising on the Trinity Broadcasting Network with a retouched version of the Last Supper showing Jesus and the Apostles happily chowing down on chicken sandwiches and waffle fries.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Crow

Quote from: MadBomr101 on August 02, 2012, 09:05:37 PM
Saturation advertising on the Trinity Broadcasting Network with a retouched version of the Last Supper showing Jesus and the Apostles happily chowing down on chicken sandwiches and waffle fries.

Yeah it definitely has the hallmarks of marketing involvement. It could have been the president saying do this rather than the various teams sitting around coming up with ideas. I can't imagine the PR department being consulted at all unless they are people who enjoy a challenge or fully support the view.
Retired member.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Crow on August 02, 2012, 09:21:49 PM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on August 02, 2012, 09:05:37 PM

Yeah it definitely has the hallmarks of marketing involvement. It could have been the president saying do this rather than the various teams sitting around coming up with ideas. I can't imagine the PR department being consulted at all unless they are people who enjoy a challenge or fully support the view.

Wait, let me be clear, I'm just joking above.  I was only speculating *IF* this whole thing was a marketing strategy, I'm not saying it was.  I don't want there to be any misinformation spread by a communication failure. 
- Bomr

Crow

Quote from: MadBomr101 on August 02, 2012, 09:29:11 PM
Wait, let me be clear, I'm just joking above.  I was only speculating *IF* this whole thing was a marketing strategy, I'm not saying it was.  I don't want there to be any misinformation spread by a communication failure. 

ahhh ok.
Retired member.

En_Route

Quote from: xSilverPhinx link=topic=10359.msg184136#msg184136

Dear lord, I hope not. Selling burgers which spontaneously spawn lifeforms could be bad for business, giving new meaning to "you don't know what's in that meat". Btw, I insist that be the slogan.

Abiogensis, or life constantly being generated from non life, is a disproven scientific hypothesis. Not that that would discourage any creationists...

It beats my effort "More shit for you to swallow".
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: En_Route on August 02, 2012, 09:41:46 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx link=topic=10359.msg184136#msg184136

Dear lord, I hope not. Selling burgers which spontaneously spawn lifeforms could be bad for business, giving new meaning to "you don't know what's in that meat". Btw, I insist that be the slogan.

Abiogensis, or life constantly being generated from non life, is a disproven scientific hypothesis. Not that that would discourage any creationists...

It beats my effort "More shit for you to swallow".

I'll stick with the euphenism, you could sell that line to the competition :D Might just be a bit too blunt and truthfully spoken...

Harmonie

All I can say is that I will never ever eat there again.

I probably would have felt very disinclined to ever go there again from the owner's words alone (he has the right to have that view and speak on it, but I also have the right to not want to have anything to do with his business), however the issue runs much deeper than that with the business's money going directly toward known hate groups. There is no way I'm giving the restaurant even a cent of money when there's a chance of it going toward those awful groups.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Only in America would people turn eating fried chicken to a political movement. 

Youtube "Chow Down On Chick-Fil-A."   Funny.

Ali