News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: Chicken and Xian Family Values

Started by Recusant, August 02, 2012, 03:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBomr101

So what does everyone think of the Chik-fil-a brouhaha?  I eat there rarely but next time I find myself in one of their franchise locations I'll be sure to ask for "a chicken sandwich, hold the intolerance."  ...and a side of fries.  The bible thumpers are suddenly really hungry for chicken.   

If you're not familiar with this drama, you can get caught up here - Xian Chicken
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

jumbojak

I don't go for that type of reaction. The employees may work for a bigot, but that doesn't mean they should have to be treated as if they are bigots themselves. In addition, such an attitude, if adopted on a large enough scale, would likely trigger a supporting reaction among conservatives. ( as happened today at Chick-fil-a in Atlanta when a line of customers wrapped around the block )

What would be more effective would be a boycott of the chain. This option would command far greater attention among executives by directly impacting the bottom line. There are possible consequences for the employees, in the form of lost jobs and shifts, however this is unavoidable if the message is to reach top management.

There is no reason to insult employees' dignity, without knowlege of their personal charachter, if such complaints will ultimately never be heard by anyone but them. Common complaint are often 'summed up' to management, and they never seem to understand.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Recusant

It ain't pretty. . . . <~~ Some may consider this NSFW.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

DeterminedJuliet

Well, this image was floating around my facebook

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

MadBomr101

Quote from: jumbojak on August 02, 2012, 03:36:06 AM
I don't go for that type of reaction. The employees may work for a bigot, but that doesn't mean they should have to be treated as if they are bigots themselves. In addition, such an attitude, if adopted on a large enough scale, would likely trigger a supporting reaction among conservatives. ( as happened today at Chick-fil-a in Atlanta when a line of customers wrapped around the block )

That's what's been happening.  Suddenly Xians across the country are jonesing for chicken sandwiches, Xian chicken sandwiches made with wholesome biblical family values.

Recusant: AAAUUUGGHH!!!   :o

DJuliet:  LOL   ;D
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

markmcdaniel

Quote from: MadBomr101 on August 02, 2012, 05:31:18 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on August 02, 2012, 03:36:06 AM

That's what's been happening.  Suddenly Xians across the country are jonesing for chicken sandwiches, Xian chicken sandwiches made with wholesome biblical family values.

Recusant: AAAUUUGGHH!!!   :o

DJuliet:  LOL   ;D
I suspect that is exactly what the owners wanted to happen. I have never eaten at this chain and now I probably never will.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Firebird

There wasa big brouhaha about it in Boston because the mayor sent a letter to the Chik-fil-a president saying he wasn't welcome in the city, and said he would try to block them from opening a store there. More here if you're curious.

I was cheering the mayor on, and still do in many ways, but I admit it makes me queasy to see him trying to block a business from opening because of their personal views, even if their views are ignorant and bigoted. Now, if they fired someone or refused to serve a customer over their sexual orientation, then I'd be happy to see them get shut down.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Firebird on August 02, 2012, 06:59:26 AM
There wasa big brouhaha about it in Boston because the mayor sent a letter to the Chik-fil-a president saying he wasn't welcome in the city, and said he would try to block them from opening a store there. More here if you're curious.

I was cheering the mayor on, and still do in many ways, but I admit it makes me queasy to see him trying to block a business from opening because of their personal views, even if their views are ignorant and bigoted. Now, if they fired someone or refused to serve a customer over their sexual orientation, then I'd be happy to see them get shut down.
However, at this point, Chic-fil-a views were no longer personal. They crossed the line into a very pubic attempt to influence policy and while they should be allowed to express their views local governments and officials are free to express their displeasure. This includes deciding that they are not the type of business that they want in there cities.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

OldGit

I'd love to see a firm try that in the UK.  :D

Crow

I imagine that would be rather popular.

USA + homophobia + Christianity + protest with minimal effort + fast food = WIN
Retired member.

DeterminedJuliet

I do find it kind of funny that so many people are taking up food that is clearly bad for you in "protest". You want to impact your health to make a point? Go for it.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

jumbojak

We really shouldn't be suprised by their position. Chick-fil-a is the only business I know of that doesn't open on Sundays. Hell if they're willing to lose money by not staying closed fifty-two days a year, mabye a boycott won't be effective after all.

No loss to me: their chicken is good but way too greasy. My advice to anyone who hasn't eaten at Chick-fil-a and wants to try it, just to see what all the fuss is about, would be to make sure you have access to a bathroom after you leave.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Ecurb Noselrub

The best way to try to influence someone is through dialogue and reason.  This sort of reaction has the effect of galvanizing the store's position.  It's supporters rallied and gave it one of the best business days it ever had yesterday.  What was accomplished?

xSilverPhinx

:D At first I was thinking you were talking about another type of chicken, but it seems not.

That chain must be having some of the best buisiness in some parts ever. What great PR it is for a private business to get involved in a heated debate. Banning it would only make it stronger.

If I ever open a business I might consider herding some people who cling onto primitive second-hand opinions into it...:D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crow

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 02, 2012, 03:58:02 PM
The best way to try to influence someone is through dialogue and reason.  This sort of reaction has the effect of galvanizing the store's position.  It's supporters rallied and gave it one of the best business days it ever had yesterday.  What was accomplished?

It will have had an increase in sales and rallied people of a similar mindset to the brand over competitors. For the ideology it hasn't done a thing but in terms of business it has been very successful, and it has shown that intolerance in the States can actually be a good marketing plan for business. it has done a huge amount of damage actually for the perception of the American people being progressive and tolerant.
Retired member.