News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

FINALLY! Wheeeeeeeeee!

Started by Ali, July 30, 2012, 09:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Article here

The Democratic Party will include a plank backing gay marriage in its official platform at this summer's convention, marking the first time either major party has done so and handing same-sex rights advocates another major victory only months after President Obama came out in favor of marriage equality.

Rep. Barney Frank, who sits on the committee tasked with approving language for the platform, revealed the news to the Washington Blade Monday and party sources quickly confirmed it to other media outlets. Frank said that he and the other 14 panel members unanimously agreed to add the pro-gay marriage plank after a public hearing in Minneapolis over the weekend. The exact wording has not yet been released, but a DNC official told the Blade that it will also call for the repeal of the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, something the president also supports.

Frank, who married his partner in Massachusetts earlier this month, explained that he was prepared to make a forceful case for the plank's inclusion but that, ultimately, his fellow panel mates didn't take much convincing. "There was a unanimous decision in the drafting committee to include it in the platform, which I supported, but everybody was for it," he said.

The final language will be approved next month by a full platform panel in Detroit before the September convention in Charlotte.

I am so freaking happy about this.  Also, I love Barney Frank.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Good sign of the times. Seriously, I don't get why people make such a fuss over letting two consenting adults legally bond and acquire some legal rights and duties to eachother. Talk about weird and primitive priorities.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Firebird

This is huge. So proud to be a Dem right now.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

OldGit

Good.  Now persuade the Republicans.  :'(

Guardian85

Wow.... it's almost like we live in the 21st century.  ;)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Why somebody's gender alignment should be a political issue in the first place shows just how uncivilised parts of the USA really are.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

fester30

Quote from: Ali on July 30, 2012, 09:08:52 PM

I wasn't always his biggest fan until I started to actually pay attention to politics, read for myself, and even see him on CSPAN in the chambers.  He is one of the more intelligent, thoughtful members, and of course courageous for serving as openly gay.  He's rarely nasty in his political discourse, instead choosing to allow his natural demeaner and choice of words to drive daggers into opponents.  He has stepped across the aisle to attempt to make things happen (yes, I know Dodd-Frank wasn't the best legislation in the world).  He is one of the few Democratic voices working hard to get the facts out.  Democrats don't do a really good job of selling their successes even when they have great positive value.

Asmodean

Quote from: Guardian85 on July 31, 2012, 01:22:46 PM
No, you see, we do. They, on the other hand, are a different matter.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

Quote from: fester30 on July 31, 2012, 05:39:53 PM
Quote from: Ali on July 30, 2012, 09:08:52 PM

I wasn't always his biggest fan until I started to actually pay attention to politics, read for myself, and even see him on CSPAN in the chambers.  He is one of the more intelligent, thoughtful members, and of course courageous for serving as openly gay.  He's rarely nasty in his political discourse, instead choosing to allow his natural demeaner and choice of words to drive daggers into opponents.  He has stepped across the aisle to attempt to make things happen (yes, I know Dodd-Frank wasn't the best legislation in the world).  He is one of the few Democratic voices working hard to get the facts out.  Democrats don't do a really good job of selling their successes even when they have great positive value.

Yeah, Barney's a force to be reckoned with. Sadly, he's retiring after the elections this year.

This is one of my favorite videos of him smacking one of those Lyndon LaRouche wackos who called Obama "hitler" over the health care bill.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sweetdeath

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 30, 2012, 09:48:25 PM
Good sign of the times. Seriously, I don't get why people make such a fuss over letting two consenting adults legally bond and acquire some legal rights and duties to eachother. Talk about weird and primitive priorities.

My thoughts exactly.

How dare people not allow me to get offended by their private sexual encounters, and make it my business to stop them.  :P
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Icarus

More on the congressional gay rights thing. This has a different twist and tends to deflate the Westboro Baptist, egregiously anti gay, lunatic fringe. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/02/veterans-bill-military-funerals_n_1733080.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Asmodean on July 31, 2012, 05:44:49 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on July 31, 2012, 01:22:46 PM
No, you see, we do. They, on the other hand, are a different matter.
There is really no question about it they are the finest minds that the fifteenth century mindset can produce.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Icarus on August 05, 2012, 01:34:05 AM
More on the congressional gay rights thing. This has a different twist and tends to deflate the Westboro Baptist, egregiously anti gay, lunatic fringe. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/02/veterans-bill-military-funerals_n_1733080.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
While I like the idea behind this legislation I think that in the end it will be found to be unconstitutional.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Ali

Quote from: markmcdaniel on August 05, 2012, 07:05:54 AM
Quote from: Icarus on August 05, 2012, 01:34:05 AM
While I like the idea behind this legislation I think that in the end it will be found to be unconstitutional.

I agree, I don't think you can revoke somebody's right of assembly and right to peaceful protest on the basis of "being a dick."  I like the idea of the human wall that the article talked about better.