News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

The Oncoming Storm

Started by Theta Sigma, July 25, 2012, 05:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markmcdaniel

Theta you might want to reconsider your association with these barbarians. I counted no less than 4 non Doctor Who fans. Welcome anyway.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Asmodean

Quote from: Theta Sigma on July 25, 2012, 05:41:51 PM
Quote from: Ali on July 25, 2012, 05:37:30 PM
Hi and welcome!  What storm?

Thanks.  And it's a Doctor Who reference, as is the name 'Theta Sigma'.
Doctor... Who..? Oh, that thing with the guy and no manner of really cool CGI at all?  :-\
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

The Dalek idea was obviously adapted from The Asmo.

Theta Sigma

Quote from: OldGit on July 26, 2012, 09:23:39 AM

I have no idea what that is.

Quote from: markmcdaniel on July 26, 2012, 04:50:15 AM
Theta you might want to reconsider your association with these barbarians. I counted no less than 4 non Doctor Who fans. Welcome anyway.

That's okay.  They love the Doctor in another timeline.
All of time and space,
     everywhere and anywhere,
every star that ever was,
     where do you want to start?

Tank

Quote from: Theta Sigma on July 26, 2012, 01:06:39 PM

Asmo (short for Asmodean) is the local fetish, a sort of minor godling that watches over HAF. Just offer up the odd baby for sacrifice and he won't crawl into your bed at night and nibble the little toe on your left foot.

Welcome to HAF

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Theta Sigma

Quote from: Tank on July 26, 2012, 01:17:54 PM
Asmo (short for Asmodean) is the local fetish, a sort of minor godling that watches over HAF. Just offer up the odd baby for sacrifice and he won't crawl into your bed at night and nibble the little toe on your left foot.

I usually prepare mine with an herb and garlic marinade.  I hope that's okay.
All of time and space,
     everywhere and anywhere,

Tank

Quote from: Theta Sigma on July 26, 2012, 01:51:23 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 26, 2012, 01:17:54 PM

I usually prepare mine with an herb and garlic marinade.  I hope that's okay.
I expect so, I think Asmo is more concerned about how fresh the offering is  ;D

I think I come under the group heading of Whovian as I've watched DW since I was a kid and I was born in '59. I recall the first doctor and I was TERRIFIED of the Daleks.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Quote from: PuddingI think Old Git must live in a very old house with a patchy roof and an old stuffed dog, typing away on an old keyboard with archaic keys.

No, I posted a link to my excellent keyboard-extension utility in 'Useful Software'.  It's called 'AX', it's a free download, it runs permanently in the background and gives easy access to any characters you set it up for when you install it.

My roof's fine ... but how did you know about the stuffed dog?

Ali

Quote from: Theta Sigma on July 26, 2012, 12:59:19 AM
Everyone knows that the world won't end until the lizardman aliens rise up from their tunnels to enslave the human race... and really, once that happens, who cares about the world ending?

Did you read that book?  I totally read that book, well, listened to it.  I think it was called 2012 and I was definitely expecting something else when I downloaded it from the library, like climate disasters and stuff.  Nope.  Aliens from another dimension enslaving the human race.  Hysterical.

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on July 26, 2012, 05:55:00 PM
Everyone knows that the world won't end until the lizardman aliens rise up from their tunnels to enslave the human race... and really, once that happens, who cares about the world ending?

Did you read that book?  I totally read that book, well, listened to it.  I think it was called 2012 and I was definitely expecting something else when I downloaded it from the library, like climate disasters and stuff.  Nope.  Aliens from another dimension enslaving the human race.  Hysterical.

When you say you totally listened to that book do you mean you listened to all of it or that while you were listening to it , that is all you did? Excuse the inquiry, but I'm not really up to speed with what's going down on the street these days.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Theta Sigma

Did you read that book?

Nah, I've just heard about it and thought the idea was hilarious.  Especially since there are actually people that believe it's true.
All of time and space,
     everywhere and anywhere,

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on July 26, 2012, 05:58:55 PM

When you say you totally listened to that book do you mean you listened to all of it or that while you were listening to it , that is all you did? Excuse the inquiry, but I'm not really up to speed with what's going down on the street these days.

I mean I listened to all of it.  Totally.  I did other stuff (mostly running laps on a track) while I listened to it.

Anyway, Thete, I actually kind of recommend it.  It's exquisitely bad.  There's this part where Ann Coulter is revealed to be a lizard person, AND kind of a conservative Poe.  I died.

Theta Sigma

Quote from: Ali on July 26, 2012, 07:09:34 PM
There's this part where Ann Coulter is revealed to be a lizard person, AND kind of a conservative Poe.  I died.

Haha!  That's hysterical.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit, to be honest.  Perhaps I'll check it out.
All of time and space,
     everywhere and anywhere,

Ali

Quote from: Theta Sigma on July 26, 2012, 07:16:12 PM
Quote from: Ali on July 26, 2012, 07:09:34 PM
There's this part where Ann Coulter is revealed to be a lizard person, AND kind of a conservative Poe.  I died.

Haha!  That's hysterical.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit, to be honest.  Perhaps I'll check it out.

Yes, that was the most realistic part of the book... :P

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Theta Sigma on July 26, 2012, 01:06:39 PM

Quote from: markmcdaniel on July 26, 2012, 04:50:15 AM

That's okay.  They love the Doctor in another timeline.
Alternate timelines don't count. We need to stage an intervention immediately.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche