News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Newly registered on HAF

Started by Non Quixote, July 18, 2012, 03:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I may regret asking this but, what is a biomedical engineer?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Non Quixote

Quote from: Tank on July 18, 2012, 07:55:38 PM
lol...not at all.

Biomedical engineers work with medical devices.  Design, maintenance, repair, trials, etc.

Anything from a little suction pump up to MRI machines, although major equipment like that is highly specialized.

edit: The job I just left (to pack up and move) was in a birthing hospital.  To give you some idea I had about 1700 pieces of equipment that I was responsible for.

I was also the sole biomed responsible for maintaining one of the largest OB TraceVue systems in the world.  Basically a large network of monitoring devices that record mother and baby vitals.  My system has 115 fetal monitors attached to several clients which are in turn connected to a couple of large servers and an optical platter jukebox (stone age) for final recording.  All of this is spread out over 3 floors and connected on a virtual network that rides on the IS network.  When that system hiccups every anus in the hospital hierarchy clenches.  I have made several late night/early morning trips to the hospital because someone somewhere thought that maybe there was a slight chance that OB TraceVue wasn't recording properly.

Love it.  Wouldn't want to do anything else.
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

Tank

Quote from: Non Quixote on July 18, 2012, 08:03:23 PM
lol...not at all.

Biomedical engineers work with medical devices.  Design, maintenance, repair, trials, etc.

Anything from a little suction pump up to MRI machines, although major equipment like that is highly specialized.
We'd call them a medical technician in the UK.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Non Quixote

Quote from: Tank on July 18, 2012, 08:09:45 PM
lol...not at all.

Biomedical engineers work with medical devices.  Design, maintenance, repair, trials, etc.

Really?  Med techs in the US are the people who clean up poop and other fun stuff.

Well, that isn't quite fair, they take vitals and things too I think.  Like BP and temp.
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

Tank

Quote from: Non Quixote on July 18, 2012, 08:17:52 PM
lol...not at all.

Really?  Med techs in the US are the people who clean up poop and other fun stuff.

Well, that isn't quite fair, they take vitals and things too I think.  Like BP and temp.
Best not get them confused then!  :D

Non Quixote

Quote from: Tank on July 18, 2012, 08:19:54 PM
Best not get them confused then!  :D
Yup!  I think they are probably qualified to clean gook off the equipment...lol.

Biomedical Engineering graduate degrees here run up to PhD level.

Dunno about the UK

edit: Ah, quick Google reveals that you folks call us medical technologists

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

markmcdaniel

How well I remember my Navy days. Remember its not just a job its an adventure. Translation 99% boredom 1% stark terror. Welcome. And by the way moving frequently is just one of the perks of Air Force life. Just so you know.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tank

Quote from: markmcdaniel on July 18, 2012, 09:41:07 PM
How well I remember my Navy days. Remember its not just a job its an adventure. Translation 99% boredom 1% stark terror. Welcome. And by the way moving frequently is just one of the perks of Air Force life. Just so you know.
Could you start a thread about the 1% stark terror please!  ;D

Non Quixote

Quote from: markmcdaniel on July 18, 2012, 09:41:07 PM
Hi, and thanks!

This is her 28th year in, so we're used to the moving around part.

Asmodean

edit: The job I just left (to pack up and move) was in a birthing hospital.  To give you some idea I had about 1700 pieces of equipment that I was responsible for.
Yes, you see, on the first day, The Asmo created time, space, nine other dimensions, hell and, as an afterthought, that place.

What did you do to deserve being surrounded by such an armada of uncooked babies?  :o
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

Nice to have you here. Been enjoying your posts thus far.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Non Quixote

Quote from: Asmodean on July 18, 2012, 11:57:49 PM
Yes, you see, on the first day, The Asmo created time, space, nine other dimensions, hell and, as an afterthought, that place.

What did you do to deserve being surrounded by such an armada of uncooked babies?  :o
Heh.  Actually the departments came open and I dogged my supervisor's heels until he agreed to give me the departments.  I really wasn't interested in the "uncooked babies" (although a walk through the NICU can break your heart), I was really interested in the massive OB TraceVue system that was already partially mine.  A huge blend of network hardware, PCs and biomedical equipment, every bionerd's wet dream.

But yeah, working in the nurseries with gaggles of crying babies could be...um...challenging.

Asmodean

Quote from: Non Quixote on July 19, 2012, 09:29:19 PM
(although a walk through the NICU can break your heart)
I highly doubt it would have enough impact to even slightly crack mine. Babies, you see, are on my despised-list, and my compassion towards them is limited thereafter.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

Quote from: Non Quixote on July 18, 2012, 08:17:52 PM
lol...not at all.

Wouldn't those tasks be for nurses?