News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Newly registered on HAF

Started by Non Quixote, July 18, 2012, 03:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Non Quixote

Greetings!

I am a 49 year old biomedical engineer (with a BA in English as well) currently living in Central Florida but in the midst of moving to Middle Georgia.  I was a member of the SBC for the first 15 years or so of my life, but gradually fell away from theism when I was unable to reconcile my Judeo/Christian beliefs with my increasingly scientific worldview.

I class myself a "soft" atheist since I am only about 99.9% sure that nothing supernatural exists.  To put that into perspective, I am only about 99.9% sure that the sun will "rise" tomorrow morning.

I have been a contributing member of atheist.net for several years, but sadly the site has become increasingly inactive of late.  I am looking foward to reading the posts here and say thanks for inviting me to join the HAF forum!
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

Crow

Retired member.

The Black Jester

The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Buddy

Hi there! Welcome to the forum!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Non Quixote. Are you going to miss Florida? I've only spent a short time there, but aside from the Miami area, it seemed pleasant enough.
Here are the —

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

En_Route

Quote from: Non Quixote on July 18, 2012, 03:39:28 PM
Greetings!

I am a 49 year old biomedical engineer (with a BA in English as well) currently living in Central Florida but in the midst of moving to Middle Georgia.  I was a member of the SBC for the first 15 years or so of my life, but gradually fell away from theism when I was unable to reconcile my Judeo/Christian beliefs with my increasingly scientific worldview.

I class myself a "soft" atheist since I am only about 99.9% sure that nothing supernatural exists.  To put that into perspective, I am only about 99.9% sure that the sun will "rise" tomorrow morning.

I have been a contributing member of atheist.net for several years, but sadly the site has become increasingly inactive of late.  I am looking foward to reading the posts here and say thanks for inviting me to join the HAF forum!

Excellent screen name. I share your graduate qualification in English and defection to another discipline thereafter  and also soft, though not very soft, atheism in general , but  count myself as a hard atheist in relation to Christianity. I have found this a highly enjoyable and lively forum in between being banned.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on July 18, 2012, 04:37:44 PM
I have found this a highly enjoyable and lively forum in between being banned.

*Snort*

Hi and welcome Non Quixote!  Hope you enjoy it here, and looking forward to getting to know you.   :D

Non Quixote

Quote from: Recusant on July 18, 2012, 04:26:53 PM
Hello and welcome to HAF, Non Quixote. Are you going to miss Florida? I've only spent a short time there, but aside from the Miami area, it seemed pleasant enough.
I am a Florida native and yes, I'm sure I will miss my home here.  My current home is on a large lake in Central Florida that connects ultimately to the Atlantic Ocean (although it would be a helluva trek) and I hate to let it go. 

My wife is still military and has been stationed at Robins AFB in GA.  Apparently I am expected to move there as well if I want to remain married. :D

The townhouse that I purchased in Warner Robins is on a 50 acre lake (duck pond really), but it's landlocked and my really big pontoon boat would look a little silly puttering around in it I think. 

It's not forever though and I look forward to retiring to north Florida.
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

Asmodean

Ooh! Biomed! Sweet.  :D

Welcome.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Non Quixote

Quote from: Asmodean on July 18, 2012, 05:13:47 PM
Ooh! Biomed! Sweet.  :D

Welcome.
Yeah, but don't tell my mom.

She thinks that I'm a piano player in a whorehouse.

OldGit

Welcome, NQ! Sounds like you'll fit in here.

Tank

Hi NQ

What did you do in the military?

Welcome to HAF  ;D

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Non Quixote

Quote from: Tank on July 18, 2012, 06:26:24 PM
Hi NQ

What did you do in the military?

Welcome to HAF  ;D

Regards
Chris
Thanks for all of the welcomes everyone!

I was a Storekeeper in the Navy, and a 4A-2 (Biomed) in the USAFR.

(Navy was more fun)

Amicale

Non Quixote, welcome!! :) Glad to meet you!

Here, have a pin for your shirt  :D :

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Non Quixote

Quote from: Amicale on July 18, 2012, 07:34:56 PM
Non Quixote, welcome!! :) Glad to meet you!

Here, have a pin for your shirt  :D :

Oh man, is it ever. 

Yeah, I started to type out a list of some of the adventures, but stopped when I realized how disgusting they were...lol.