News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

An Open Letter to Persons of Faith

Started by MadBomr101, July 04, 2012, 04:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

Quote from: OldGit on July 06, 2012, 12:54:04 PM
Quote from: E_RTo cast religion as the big bad wolf which is the perpetrator of all our ills ...

I don't think anyone's being quite so simplistic.  But (to put it in the fairest possible words), Religion is and very often has been associated with and a channel for
mankind's worst instincts.

Thus it seems reasonable to hope that if we can sideline religion, such unpleasantness will be reduced.

I don't think this necessarily follows. The point is that religiious belief of some kind has been pretty well universal in every society since time immemorial. so that it would almost have been impossible for it not to be implicated in much of the nastiness that has occurred. However, the fact that human beings can inflict all manner of horrors each other without reference to religion, suggests to me that your optimism may be misplaced. I think that the more benign forms of Christianity and the original, non- theistic philosophy of Buddhism are potentially in fact quite civilising influences.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

xSilverPhinx

Let's not forget just how powerful religion can be as a shepard of scared people and for oppression. What better way to get people to shut up and follow you than saying that you have the infinitely powerful creator of the whole universe on your side?

It's all very problematic, some countries are filled with people who are too religious and scared to think for themselves because their religious leaders keep filling their heads with night-time monster story nonsense. Religions win people over and own them.

It's a very sophisticated manipulation tool because it uses the human psyche as its landscape.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Black Jester

Quote from: En_Route on July 06, 2012, 01:14:14 PM
Quote from: OldGit on July 06, 2012, 12:54:04 PM
Quote from: E_RTo cast religion as the big bad wolf which is the perpetrator of all our ills ...

I don't think anyone's being quite so simplistic.  But (to put it in the fairest possible words), Religion is and very often has been associated with and a channel for
mankind's worst instincts.

Thus it seems reasonable to hope that if we can sideline religion, such unpleasantness will be reduced.

I don't think this necessarily follows. The point is that religiious belief of some kind has been pretty well universal in every society since time immemorial. so that it would almost have been impossible for it not to be implicated in much of the nastiness that has occurred. However, the fact that human beings can inflict all manner of horrors each other without reference to religion, suggests to me that your optimism may be misplaced. I think that the more benign forms of Christianity and the original, non- theistic philosophy of Buddhism are potentially in fact quite civilising influences.

I agree with the spirit of E_R's suggestions here.  It may be true that divesting humankind of its religious superstitions would remove one manner in which atrocities were rationalized, but to assume that the atrocities themselves would be removed seems to me another kind of wishful thinking.  It could perfectly well be that other ideologies would simply take religion's place as the prime mover in such tragedies.  It seems to me we have deep instincts for conflict, and easily rationalize brutality in myriad ways.  My instinct is that humanity has some distance to go before eradicating such horrors.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

OldGit

Quote from: meThus it seems reasonable to hope that if we can sideline religion, such unpleasantness will be reduced.

The Black Jester

Quote from: OldGit on July 06, 2012, 08:02:32 PM
Quote from: meThus it seems reasonable to hope that if we can sideline religion, such unpleasantness will be reduced.

I did notice that nuance, but still respectfully disagree.  I'm still not convinced that eliminating religious thinking will necessarily lead directly to even reduced human suffering.  I'm thinking it's just as likely we'd find another reason to kill and torture one another.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: The Black Jester on July 06, 2012, 08:09:08 PM

I did notice that nuance, but still respectfully disagree.  I'm still not convinced that eliminating religious thinking will necessarily lead directly to even reduced human suffering.  I'm thinking it's just as likely we'd find another reason to kill and torture one another.

This. There will still be territory, money, drugs, gangs, etc... There would always be something to fill that void.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

En_Route

I think human beings need to become much more self- aware, less locked in their own egos,  more empathetic and compassionate, better- informed, and readier to question what they are told before the long roll call of man's inhumanity to man tapers off. Will it happen? I'm not betting on it, personally. I tend to see aggressive religiosity as more of a symptom than a cause. As I've said before, all freethinkers are atheists but not all atheists are freethinkers.

markmcdaniel

Quote from: En_Route on July 06, 2012, 08:35:14 PM

I think human beings need to become much more self- aware, less locked in their own egos,  more empathetic and compassionate, better- informed, and readier to question what they are told before the long roll call of man's inhumanity to man tapers off. Will it happen? I'm not betting on it, personally. I tend to see aggressive religiosity as more of a symptom than a cause. As I've said before, all freethinkers are atheists but not all atheists are freethinkers.

It may be true that eliminating religious thinking will not lead directly to reducing atrocities, but it will remove the because God want it this way barrier to decent and debate.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

En_Route

Quote from: markmcdaniel on July 06, 2012, 08:41:12 PM
Quote from: En_Route on July 06, 2012, 08:35:14 PM

I think human beings need to become much more self- aware, less locked in their own egos,  more empathetic and compassionate, better- informed, and readier to question what they are told before the long roll call of man's inhumanity to man tapers off. Will it happen? I'm not betting on it, personally. I tend to see aggressive religiosity as more of a symptom than a cause. As I've said before, all freethinkers are atheists but not all atheists are freethinkers.

It may be true that eliminating religious thinking will not lead directly to reducing atrocities, but it will remove the because God want it this way barrier to decent and debate.

People who believe in purported facts or concepts which are manifestly unfounded don't engage in debate , whatever their persuasion, religious or otherwise.