News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

You Lost One - Atheist Converts

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, June 25, 2012, 01:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

I am disinclined to correct people who attempt to put words in my mouth and/or thoughts in my central nervous system beyond a "no" today.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on June 26, 2012, 09:15:50 PM
I am disinclined to correct people who attempt to put words in my mouth and/or thoughts in my central nervous system beyond a "no" today.

No words were put in your mouth.  But this is a great excuse to not to clarify your words.

Asmodean

Isn't it? Have you asked to clarify, rather than re-write what I wrote to suit whatever meaning you wanted to impose on it, I would have.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on June 26, 2012, 09:54:55 PM
Isn't it? Have you asked to clarify, rather than re-write what I wrote to suit whatever meaning you wanted to impose on it, I would have.

I said it's a great excuse not to clarify...now who's putting words in who's mouth?

Asmodean

I am not.

I said "Isn't it?" in reply to your comment and expanded with "Have you asked to clarify (Which you did not), rather than re-write what I wrote to suit whatever meaning you wanted to impose on it (Which you did), I would have (Which I would)"
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on June 26, 2012, 10:14:34 PM
I am not.

I said "Isn't it?" in reply to your comment and expanded with "Have you asked to clarify (Which you did not), rather than re-write what I wrote to suit whatever meaning you wanted to impose on it (Which you did), I would have (Which I would)"

It isn't what?  I never actually asked for clarification as I thought you put your thoughts exactly as intended in your words.

Are you saying that your words need further enlightenment and do not really mean exactly as they state?

If so, then please clarify as I'd hate to misinterpret your original words.

Asmodean

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on June 26, 2012, 10:29:01 PM
It isn't what?

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on June 26, 2012, 09:30:28 PM
But this is a great excuse to not to clarify your words.

QuoteAre you saying that your words need further enlightenment and do not really mean exactly as they state?
No. I did not mean anything I did not write, and I wrote:

Quote from: Asmodean on June 25, 2012, 02:35:06 AM
What exactly do "we" lose that "we" shouldn't be glad to see the back of?

Frankly, I consider adult atheists who "find" some form of "god" so far beneath me intellectually that I lose all interest in them if I had any to begin with.

Being raised to believe in fairy tales and holding on to it is one thing, giving up the magic and then re-integrating it into one's life is quite another (As for never-theists, I do not know of any converts from that group who stayed converted for any prolonged period of time)

QuoteIf so, then please clarify as I'd hate to misinterpret your original words.
...Meaning that if I had any interest in the person to begin with, that interest would go out of the window due to previously un-known or un-assessed levels of personal stupidity, therein self-delusion.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on June 26, 2012, 11:12:40 PM
...Meaning that if I had any interest in the person to begin with, that interest would go out of the window due to previously un-known or un-assessed levels of personal stupidity, therein self-delusion.

Not to mention they're so far beneath you intellectually...

Sweetdeath

I don't understand conversion because i have never converted from anything before.

Also, i have never heard of this person.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

My best guess is it's some random near-do-well blogger who some people are attempting to make larger than life for their own reasons. May be wrong, however - didn't recognise the name, dind't read the links
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on June 26, 2012, 11:33:26 PM
My best guess is it's some random near-do-well blogger who some people are attempting to make larger than life for their own reasons. May be wrong, however - didn't recognise the name, dind't read the links

Same.  :-\

If she became religious.. Not my issue. Probably wasn't really an atheist to begin with. Just someone looking for a religion to belong to.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

She says that she was swayed by the arguments for objective morality. I don't know why she chose Catholicism in particular though as the best expression for her new found Truth. Comes with the package, I'd like just for curiosity's sake see how she can justify the objective moral truths behind things like intolerance towards homosexuality, abortion or not distributing anti-contraception or condoms in Africa where AIDS runs rampant assuming her views were contrary to the Church's position before she converted.

I think that it's difficult for a person to have come from a more skeptical mindset and just accept whole package like that, when you're been arguing against what you see as ridiculous for so long. She was an atheist blogger (who I also never heard of before now)  so I'd assume that she did.

If I were to guess, this conversion even if sincere won't last very long, especially if she doesn't surround herself with people of the same religious mindset who reinforce her new beliefs.

Might just because a self proclaimed "spiritual" person though, not affiliated with any church.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

I guess the Crusades were a stepping stone to her.  :-\

xSilverPhinx

If she starts to accept the dehumanization of others who aren't an "us" (i.e Catholic in her case), then it will be. :-\ That and other atrocities.

Muslims are an inferior race and don't have a soul, they worship the wrong god so they're just as good as animals. They were given a choice but they chose to continue to worship their false god. They deserved it.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Stevil

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 27, 2012, 02:16:09 AM
If she became religious.. Not my issue. Probably wasn't really an atheist to begin with.

LOL, I presume she was a true Atheist lacking a belief in gods.
I laugh because I've heard the saying "Probably wasn't a real Christian to begin with"