News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Atheist ban from public office.

Started by Genericguy, May 31, 2012, 07:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: RenegeReversi on June 04, 2012, 11:19:19 PM
I suddenly feel an urge to suspect the intelligence of political authority. Should I lie down?

Intelligence? Political? Pftt. Those two words just don't go well together when the overall meaning of a sentence is positive. Keep standing, it would be easier to run that way. ;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tom62

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 05, 2012, 01:37:29 AM
Quote from: RenegeReversi on June 04, 2012, 11:19:19 PM
I suddenly feel an urge to suspect the intelligence of political authority. Should I lie down?

Intelligence? Political? Pftt. Those two words just don't go well together when the overall meaning of a sentence is positive. Keep standing, it would be easier to run that way. ;)
^1+
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tanker

QuoteSo, say Asmo decided to move to Texas and run for governor.  He would not have to acknowledge the existence of God - he could simply say that he does acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being (himself), and he would qualify.  It doesn't exactly ban atheists from public office.

Isn't that kinda like saying segregation is ok as long as it's separate but equal? Or better like saying Jim Crow laws are ok as long as they aren't against minorities, just people who aren't white? (not that I'm saying you're advocating racism) It's a "heathen" filter plain and simple.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

fester30

Quote from: Tanker on June 07, 2012, 12:32:35 AM
QuoteSo, say Asmo decided to move to Texas and run for governor.  He would not have to acknowledge the existence of God - he could simply say that he does acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being (himself), and he would qualify.  It doesn't exactly ban atheists from public office.

Isn't that kinda like saying segregation is ok as long as it's separate but equal? Or better like saying Jim Crow laws are ok as long as they aren't against minorities, just people who aren't white? (not that I'm saying you're advocating racism) It's a "heathen" filter plain and simple.

I think it's more like when Asmo becomes President, and decides to say "so help me Asmo" during the oath.

Firebird

Quote from: fester30 on June 07, 2012, 07:28:11 AM
I think it's more like when Asmo becomes President, and decides to say "so help me Asmo" during the oath.

On the plus side, money with his lumpy image on it will look a lot more amusing than what we have now.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Firebird on June 07, 2012, 08:34:13 PM
Quote from: fester30 on June 07, 2012, 07:28:11 AM

On the plus side, money with his lumpy image on it will look a lot more amusing than what we have now.

This.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.