News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Parents pride thread

Started by Siz, January 27, 2012, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willow

My five year old wants to be a scientist.  He talks about gravity and quantum physics and things at bedtime.  He says he's going to build a perpetual motion machine.  We home educate, so he doesn't have a bunch of other kids telling him being booksmart is uncool.
x
Willow.

Siz

Quote from: Willow on February 12, 2012, 07:50:56 AM
My five year old wants to be a scientist.  He talks about gravity and quantum physics and things at bedtime.  He says he's going to build a perpetual motion machine.  We home educate, so he doesn't have a bunch of other kids telling him being booksmart is uncool.
x
Willow.

Great stuff. Obviously a decent thinking brain being developed. Hope he fulfills his dreams!

I'm interested to know why you chose home schooling and how it works. Do you follow a curriculum? How often does he 'work'? What happens when he doesn't want to work? Is it a very structured routine?

I can't say I'd have the patience for it personally - I certainly admire the skill and professionalism of my kid's school teachers - and anyone who can make a success of home schooling.

It must be very liberating and satisfying.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali

Quote from: Scissorlegs on February 11, 2012, 08:57:08 PM
What a week!

DS (7.5) got his 'Pen license' at school.
Got to show off his tornado model in front of the whole school at assembly.
Recently moved up to his rebuilt 24" cyclocross bike at cycling club and is kicking ass on it. Is now representing club at British Schools MTB National Championship (U9 category) in April.
Skipping two belts in Karate for his first grading next week (not sure how big a deal this is, but I'm still proud).

He sounds like he's got a ton of interests and hobbies.  That's awesome!

My son has been asking me for a watch lately, so I got him one yesterday and I'm teaching him how to tell time (well, working on it anyway.)  He is sooo proud of his new watch.  He asks me what time it is about every 20 minutes. 

DeterminedJuliet

x
Willow.

That is so cute!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

I took T to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science this afternoon.

This is an actual conversation from today, in the Dinosaur exhibit.

Me: Look!  There's a T Rex skeleton!  He's biting a Stegosaurus!
T:  Mooooooom.  That's not a T Rex!  That's an Allosaurus.
Me: How can you tell?
T:  He's got 3 claws (*makes a 3 clawed hand*.)  T Rex has 2 claws (*makes a 2 clawed hand*.)
A museum docent standing next to us: He's right, you know.

It's both a shameful and proud day when your 3 year old schools you in science.

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on February 13, 2012, 01:05:54 AM

T:  He's got 3 claws (*makes a 3 clawed hand*.)  T Rex has 2 claws (*makes a 2 clawed hand*.)

Awesome!  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Asmodean

My five year old wants to be a scientist.
At five, so did The Asmo.

QuoteHe talks about gravity and quantum physics and things at bedtime.
Yes, did that.

QuoteHe says he's going to build a perpetual motion machine.
The Asmo's first and rather uninformed theoretical machine consisted of a hydrogen fuel tank, an oxygen oxidiser tank, a sealed burner unit, an electrolyser and a sealed boiler with turbine and a condensation unit. The system was supposed to be sealed to prevent gas/water leaks. The used fuel would be electrolysed back into O2 and H2 (Powered by the on board turbine) and sent back to burner. A perfect eternity drive.

...What? I was eight...  ::)

In any case, give him the idea, see what he comes up with. A weapon, perhaps... ;D

QuoteWe home educate, so he doesn't have a bunch of other kids telling him being booksmart is uncool.
Maybe he should have some of those... Will need a thick skin if there is to be hope for Asmolegacy in future generations  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Ali on February 13, 2012, 01:05:54 AM

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

I used to quiz my youngest daughter when she was little with how many legs questions.
2 spiders, a grasshopper, 3 pelicans.
It got quite complicated at times.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 13, 2012, 09:17:49 AM
I used to quiz my youngest daughter when she was little with how many legs questions.
2 spiders, a grasshopper, 3 pelicans.
It got quite complicated at times.
<2 legs.

First, the spiders eat the grasshopper. Then, the birds eat spiders. Then, the hungry birds turn on each other. One remains victorious.

<2 beause in the fight, it may well have lost one or both.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

At Tank's suggestion, I'm copying this over to here.  :D

My almost-4 year old daughter drew this for me, on the computer today. The 'A' is the first letter of her name, the 'M' is for Mama.  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Siz

Quote from: Amicale on February 14, 2012, 07:11:56 PM

My almost-4 year old daughter drew this for me, on the computer today. The 'A' is the first letter of her name, the 'M' is for Mama.  ;D

Awww. Brilliant writing. Makes being a parent worthwhile!

We often get 'love notes' from my DD (4). It's always the nicest present when I get home from work.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Quote from: Amicale on February 14, 2012, 07:11:56 PM

Oh my!  Best..Valentine...Evar.  *Love shooting out of my eyes at the computer*  Your daughter is so smart and so sweet.  Looks like somebody (*cough, cough, AMICALE, cough, cough*) is doing something right!

Amicale

;D Thanks peoples. She's my adorable little munchkin. We went to a 'Valentines Day tea' at the library today, they had cookies and juice for the kids, and she kept trying to give everyone another cookie.  :D