News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

The future of the forum

Started by Claireliontamer, June 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Do we have a consensus on the .gif issue?  No?
Well never mind the bothersome dialogue, I'll unilaterally declare one.
Some people like .gifs and they are free to post them, preferably in their quarantine zone.
Other members, aesthetes and lumps don't like .gifs and are free to complain about them.
I don't like Gifs but I do enjoy whingeing about them, it doesn't compensate entirely for the assault to my senses, yet it is a small recompense.  And no I don't think anti .gif posts should be quarantined, a dedicated denunciation thread in the philosophy section would be appropriate though.  Probably one in science as well,,,, probably a thread in all the sections, they're just so wrong in so many ways.

Social issue: I think they are a gateway to gateway drugs,
Science: myopia is a growing problem - gifs
Philosophy: .gifism is a particularly ugly bastard child of hedonism and the stoic, combining the worst of both.   Followers eschew natural colour music and self movement whilst embracing a pitifully diminished pallet, simpleton captioning and repetition, and repetition and repetition and it is a waste, such a waste.
A .jpg with millions of colours is so frugal with its bytes, the wastrel .gifest won't appreciate it though.
.png is a virtuous thing, the stationary .gif an anachronism, a shim at best.
Perhaps rehabilitation is possible but that would be for more patient souls than mine.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 21, 2016, 10:59:16 AM
Do we have a consensus on the .gif issue?  No?
Some people like .gifs and they are free to post them, preferably in their quarantine zone.
Other members, aesthetes and lumps don't like .gifs and are free to complain about them.
I don't like Gifs but I do enjoy whingeing about them, it doesn't compensate entirely for the assault to my senses, yet it is a small recompense.  And no I don't think anti .gif posts should be quarantined, a dedicated denunciation thread in the philosophy section would be appropriate though.  Probably one in science as well,,,, probably a thread in all the sections, they're just so wrong in so many ways.

Social issue: I think they are a gateway to gateway drugs,
Science: myopia is a growing problem - gifs
Philosophy: .gifism is a particularly ugly bastard child of hedonism and the stoic, combining the worst of both.   Followers eschew natural colour music and self movement whilst embracing a pitifully diminished pallet, simpleton captioning and repetition, and repetition and repetition and it is a waste, such a waste.
A .jpg with millions of colours is so frugal with its bytes, the wastrel .gifest won't appreciate it though.
.png is a virtuous thing, the stationary .gif an anachronism, a shim at best.
Perhaps rehabilitation is possible but that would be for more patient souls than mine.
There's no need to do this, anymore. I'll just take my shit somewhere else.
Our mission statement begins with: "...It is our goal to help dissolve negative stereotypes currently held towards atheists and facilitate productive dialogue with those of differing viewpoints..." and it ends with something like this: "...The complete freedom to simply be the person you want to be..." I just don't feel that, right now, here.

I've been lurking the "hippie" forums. Maybe it's time I join my kind.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on June 21, 2016, 09:53:27 PM
Our mission statement begins with: "...It is our goal to help dissolve negative stereotypes currently held towards atheists and facilitate productive dialogue with those of differing viewpoints..." and it ends with something like this: "...The complete freedom to simply be the person you want to be..." I just don't feel that, right now, here.

You have complete freedom here.  You be yourself by posting .gifs and casting spells, and others are themselves by being grumpy about stuff.  Watch out for them there hippies.  They were cool in the 60's but now they are all cultists.

Jimmy

This is the Happy Atheist forum, other atheists will be persecuted for trespassing.  ;)
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 21, 2016, 10:25:32 PM
Watch out for them there hippies.  They were cool in the 60's but now they are all cultists.
Ha!  ;D

...although I can't see how this was ever cool:

It was an abomination from the moment it rolled out of the factory that made it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Well,  it's got Jimi on it, so that makes it awesome!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on June 21, 2016, 10:38:42 PM
Watch out for them there hippies.  They were cool in the 60's but now they are all cultists.
Ha!  ;D

...although I can't see how this was ever cool:

It was an abomination from the moment it rolled out of the factory that made it.

It's... :chin:...I don't know...kind of cute.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

You have complete freedom here.  You be yourself by posting .gifs and casting spells, and others are themselves by being grumpy about stuff.  Watch out for them there hippies.  They were cool in the 60's but now they are all cultists.
Yeah, well...those of us who post gifs and cast spells are not constantly harassing those who are grumpy about stuff. We don't write paragraphs after paragraphs about how much we dislike their grumpiness. Heck! We haven't even turned them into a newt!  >:( They're not even thankful about that! ...So ungrateful!  >:(

Anyways, when I saw "cultists" I thought you meant, "culturists" or "horticulturists." I thought, and what's wrong with that!?
NOTHING!  >:(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 21, 2016, 10:59:16 AM
Probably one in science as well,,,,

Hmm... :thoughtful:

QuoteDo we have a consensus on the .gif issue?  No?
I don't like Gifs but I do enjoy whingeing about them, it doesn't compensate entirely for the assault to my senses, yet it is a small recompense.  And no I don't think anti .gif posts should be quarantined, a dedicated denunciation thread in the philosophy section would be appropriate though.

It's not a gif invasion, they're basically (mostly  :P) restricted to their threads.

I started another gif thread, this time in the Science section, because some things are better as gifs.  ;)

You're very welcome to post there! :grin:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: Jimmy on June 21, 2016, 10:25:56 PM

This is the Happy Atheist forum, other atheists will be persecuted for trespassing.  ;)
Hello, Jimmy, I don't think we've met. It's nice to meet you.  :)
I think I figured out I was a hippie AFTER I realized I was an atheist, by the time I figured it out, it was too late, I was addicted to this place, I couldn't leave....but now.  :sad sigh: I don't know, I don't like this gif-ers persecution.  >:( Six...yes! Six years fighting "the man" about it! I AM TIRED!  >:(

Jimmy

Quote from: Magdalena on June 21, 2016, 11:24:24 PM

Hello, Jimmy, I don't think we've met. It's nice to meet you.  :)
I think I figured out I was a hippie AFTER I realized I was an atheist, by the time I figured it out, it was too late, I was addicted to this place, I couldn't leave....but now.  :sad sigh: I don't know, I don't like this gif-ers persecution.  >:( Six...yes! Six years fighting "the man" about it! I AM TIRED!  >:(

Nice to meet you too!   :hug: 

I think I've missed out on the gif war. I've only recently begun to poke my head in here again, but I do enjoy me a good gif. :)
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Asmodean

Quote from: Magdalena on June 21, 2016, 11:20:03 PM
We don't write paragraphs after paragraphs about how much we dislike their grumpiness.
Some people write paragraphs while others post .gifs. Some people prefer words, others prefer pictures. As long as it is at all relevant to the discussion (or the derail, for that matter) at hand, I'm pretty "oh, whatever" about it. Huge images to substitute or emphasize two-three written words though...

To illustrate my point; earlier, I used a photo of a nasty VW-bus in relation to the percieved coolness of the sixties' hippies. Yes, I could have written "a 1950s VW bus, badly painted in flowers and rainbow colors and singers and featuring the word 'dick.'" In this case, however, a picture was more descriptive.

This here though, is just space filler:

At least, that's the way I see it. Maybe there is more to that stuff, but if it requires an explanation rather than aiding the audience's understanding, then it sort of fails in a discussion/debate/argument setting, does it not?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on June 22, 2016, 12:21:40 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on June 21, 2016, 11:20:03 PM
We don't write paragraphs after paragraphs about how much we dislike their grumpiness.
Some people write paragraphs while others post .gifs. Some people prefer words, others prefer pictures. As long as it is at all relevant to the discussion (or the derail, for that matter) at hand, I'm pretty "oh, whatever" about it. Huge images to substitute or emphasize two-three written words though...

To illustrate my point; earlier, I used a photo of a nasty VW-bus in relation to the percieved coolness of the sixties' hippies. Yes, I could have written "a 1950s VW bus, badly painted in flowers and rainbow colors and singers and featuring the word 'dick.'" In this case, however, a picture was more descriptive.

This here though, is just space filler:

At least, that's the way I see it. Maybe there is more to that stuff, but if it requires an explanation rather than aiding the audience's understanding, then it sort of fails in a discussion/debate/argument setting, does it not?
What the hell are you talking about, Asmo?
Everyone here knows you're grumpy and no one has a problem with that! ---I don't mean No one, I mean, no one!

Quote from: Asmodean
Huge images to substitute or emphasize two-three written words though...
It's not the size that matters! No one is looking at how many "pixels" it takes to say something, we are looking at the "feeling" behind the image. Yes, you posted a photo of a nasty VW-bus, it said more than you ever could about that time, my point..."a picture is worth a thousand words." And what's wrong with that? Maybe the gif is irrelevant to the conversation, but only to some, not to all.

Maybe it requires an explanation from your side to understand how gifs becomes a problem when it comes to "computer stuff" that most of us don't understand. I understand it creates a problem to those with slow internet, but that's not my problem, it was for a while when I had dial-up internet, but I didn't resort to "aiding the audience's understanding," to solve it. I simply got faster internet, problem solved.

...Also, I don't want to debate you.
I don't want to see you cry.  >:(

:grin:

Ali

I'm sorry I started the .gif thing again, Mags. I genuinely wasn't trying to complain about .gifs, I thought I was being a little cheeky and funny, but as sometimes happens, when I think I'm giving someone an affectionate poke in the ribs, I may be blacking their eyes instead. I apologize.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on June 22, 2016, 12:21:40 AM

To illustrate my point; earlier, I used a photo of a nasty VW-bus in relation to the percieved coolness of the sixties' hippies. Yes, I could have written "a 1950s VW bus, badly painted in flowers and rainbow colors and singers and featuring the word 'dick.'"
I didn't read properly and missed that it was the word "dick." Then I zoomed in really close and stuck my face all close to my phone looking for the dick. I don't know what this adds to the conversation, but stop promising dick and not delivering.  ;D