News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Discussão em português

Started by Tank, May 06, 2019, 01:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on June 25, 2019, 10:00:29 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 25, 2019, 03:46:53 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on June 25, 2019, 01:31:47 PM
You should talk to some Southerners. Men sounds normal enough, most of the time, but we tend to add a 'y' and an extra 'a' to man. It becomes... mayan...

Just like in the movies... :tellmemore:

Honestly, most depictions of Southerners in film get it very, very wrong. There's a tendency in Hollywood to give leading characters deeper voices than you find in the wild, so to speak. Most southern accents are fairly highly pitched.

Some hill folk have a low and slow way of speaking, as a group, but down in the flats you find people who speak in the upper registers. I can usually peg people by their state and in Virginia I can usually get the region, if not the county.

Robert Deniro, George Clooney, and Nicholas Cage were absolutely AWFUL at southern accents. Comically bad to someone who knows what to listen for.

Heh, Nicholas Cage is an A-lister, triple A to be exact: Absolutely Awful Actor. It wouldn't surprise anyone he couldn't get it right.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

The only movie I liked Nicholas Cage in was Peggy Sue Got Married.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 27, 2019, 04:35:02 AM
The only movie I liked Nicholas Cage in was Peggy Sue Got Married.

Never watched that one. :notsure:

jumbojak

I'm starting to nail down the adjectives. They go with the gender of the noun, correct?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on June 29, 2019, 07:14:05 PM
I'm starting to nail down the adjectives. They go with the gender of the noun, correct?

Correct.  :thumbsup:

jumbojak

Possessives are very troubling for me. Tua teu sua seu. I can't keep them straight. I wind up guessing my way through the excersises and not really picking up the patterns.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on July 12, 2019, 02:29:23 AM
Possessives are very troubling for me. Tua teu sua seu. I can't keep them straight. I wind up guessing my way through the excersises and not really picking up the patterns.

Which possessive you use depends on the noun gender.

Tua and teu are not very frequently used in most of Brazil (more common in European Portuguese) and when it is used, it's more informal. Instead, the alternate version (see below) is more commonly found.

Sua and seu mean the exact same thing as tua and teu. They mean your/yours.

There is also meu and minha (my/mine).

When the noun is masculine, people use seu ou meu, depending on what they want to say.

When feminine, it's sua or minha.

For instance:

Eu e meu amigo. (o amigo) -- Me and my (male) friend.

Você e sua amiga. (a amiga) -- You and your (female) friend.

Este copo é meu. (o copo) -- This cup is mine.

Esta é a minha caneta. (a caneta) -- That is my pen.

Sometimes the noun gender isn't so clear, however. For example: meu bilhete (my ticket). Seu bilhete (your ticket). O bilhete.

The possessive can also be singular or plural. Seus, suas, meus and minhas are all plural when the noun is too.

Meus amigos. Minhas amigas. Suas canetas. Seus copos.

jumbojak

Thank you again Fernanda. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on July 13, 2019, 08:51:27 PM
Thank you again Fernanda. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this!

No problem! It's interesting to see your progress. :grin:

jumbojak

I think I've got it now. Duolingo should really have a short explanation at the beginning of each lesson. Maybe they could hire you for it. ;)

xSilverPhinx

jumbojak

Could you recommend some Portuguese language newscasts or podcasts? Hearing the language spoken in a natural way might help.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on July 29, 2019, 12:19:35 AM
Could you recommend some Portuguese language newscasts or podcasts? Hearing the language spoken in a natural way might help.

Sure! I generally only listen to podcasts in English so I don't know of that many in Portuguese but here's one that my supervisor does, called Fronteiras da Ciência (Frontiers of Science):

http://www.ufrgs.br/frontdaciencia/

However, IMO just hearing the spoken language without seeing any nonverbal communication might make it more difficult to understand. Give it a try and tell me what you think.  ;) 

There is, of course, Youtube. What sort of things do you like to watch?

jumbojak

I watch ALL SORTS of weird stuff. Everything from an explanation of Mike Tyson's peek-a-boo style to stories about a researcher who lived with a male dolphin and used sex to aid in communication... YouTube was weird today!

Generally it's nature and diy projects. Owls being rescued from fishing line and refinishing pianos. Normal stuff.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on July 29, 2019, 02:58:18 AM
I watch ALL SORTS of weird stuff. Everything from an explanation of Mike Tyson's peek-a-boo style to stories about a researcher who lived with a male dolphin and used sex to aid in communication... YouTube was weird today!

:lol: Ok, so you've been to that part of Youtube! Sometimes I find myself there as well.  ::)

QuoteGenerally it's nature and diy projects. Owls being rescued from fishing line and refinishing pianos. Normal stuff.

I'll see if I can find something both interesting and that is spoken clearly. :smilenod: