News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Um...

Started by Nam, February 19, 2016, 07:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Crow on February 23, 2016, 12:35:17 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on February 23, 2016, 05:25:37 AM
Tank, please, ban me right now.
Help me stop doing these sort of things.

Tank did ban somebody for that once.
Who?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on February 23, 2016, 05:52:54 PM

Who?
Somebody who asked and needed to concentrate on their work. It was only fora week.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on February 23, 2016, 06:27:47 PM
Somebody who asked and needed to concentrate on their work. It was only fora week.

Also En Route. He dared you and you did.

I'd have banned Mags just for fun... Then unban a day later.
Retired member.

Magdalena

Who?
I remember now.  ;D
I would like to take advantage of the opportunity to be banned so that I can get some work done, I'm very undisciplined.  ::)
Let me come back when Nam starts his first debate. That should be in another week or two?
Anyways, I'm serious, could you please ban me, I really need to get some work done.  :(
I have your email in case of an emergency. Sometimes I want to stay quiet, but I feel as if I'm gonna explode. If I can't handle the withdrawal symptoms, I'll email you.
Thank you.
I'll see you guys soon.  :computerwave:
:cryandrun:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Crow on February 23, 2016, 06:44:31 PM
I'd have banned Mags just for fun... Then unban a day later.

I really hate being a witch!  >:(
You see, Crow? I read your mind.  ::)
I was typing my post when you posted yours.

Nam

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 23, 2016, 08:24:34 AM
Quote from: Nam on February 23, 2016, 06:13:05 AM
I could probably get a JW here if you'd like?

Would he like being here, and post without preaching?  Preaching's the biggest problem we have with religious types, only a few seem capable of discussing religion without preaching.

No. That's all he'd do. That's all they mainly all  do.. That's their point. Really, I don't see the problem with them preaching; it's a given. As long as they answer questions posed to them, I don't get the problem.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Tank

I have banned Mags for 2 days.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Nam

Who?

I asked that once on a website I've been since 2001. Needed a vacation.

Admin's are usually happy to oblige.

-Nam

Nam

Quote from: Magdalena on February 23, 2016, 06:51:05 PM
I remember now.  ;D
I would like to take advantage of the opportunity to be banned so that I can get some work done, I'm very undisciplined.  ::)
Let me come back when Nam starts his first debate. That should be in another week or two?
Anyways, I'm serious, could you please ban me, I really need to get some work done.  :(
I have your email in case of an emergency. Sometimes I want to stay quiet, but I feel as if I'm gonna explode. If I can't handle the withdrawal symptoms, I'll email you.
Thank you.
I'll see you guys soon.  :computerwave:
:cryandrun:

What's the subject you want to debate me on? I've read 14½ versions of the Bible. The Quran. The Book of Mormon. I know a lot about poetry. Literature pre-1900 (mainly authors little known today but famous in their day) Astronomy. Movies. You choose.

-Nam

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Nam on February 23, 2016, 07:19:44 PM

No. That's all he'd do. That's all they mainly all  do.. That's their point. Really, I don't see the problem with them preaching; it's a given. As long as they answer questions posed to them, I don't get the problem.

We've got a strict no-preaching policy and we do enforce it.   Or rather, Tank does.  We'd probably lose atheist regulars if they had to put up with preaching here, of all places.  It is our place, after all.

I figured it would probably be a bit much asking a Witness not to witness, but if you know a religious who might actually be able to discuss without preaching invite them to give the place a look.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Nam

Yes, but talking to just your own kind gets boring. And, the more inviting to those not your kind creates conversation and perhaps deconversions.

I only know fundies.

-Nam

Bluenose

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 24, 2016, 12:11:08 AM
We've got a strict no-preaching policy and we do enforce it.   Or rather, Tank does.  We'd probably lose atheist regulars if they had to put up with preaching here, of all places.  It is our place, after all.

Yes. I for one react very negatively to any "preachy" posts in an atheists' forum.  Firstly, it's not as if there aren't any number of sites on the Interwebz they can preach on, doing it on an atheist forum is just rude. Secondly, if they actually came up with something novel every now and then maybe I would entertain it a bit, but they don't. I get tired of running into the same old non-arguments, logical fallacies and gross misrepresentations of science that I've seen countless times before.

As for the OP in this thread, I reserve my judgement for now, but my troll detector had been flickering,..
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Nam on February 24, 2016, 12:31:07 AM
Yes, but talking to just your own kind gets boring. And, the more inviting to those not your kind creates conversation and perhaps deconversions.

I only know fundies.

I know a large number of moderate and progressive Xtians (related to many of them), but none of them does forums. 
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bluenose on February 24, 2016, 12:35:18 AM
Secondly, if they actually came up with something novel every now and then maybe I would entertain it a bit, but they don't. I get tired of running into the same old non-arguments, logical fallacies and gross misrepresentations of science that I've seen countless times before.

Exactly this.  I find religion fascinating and, altho I can become snappish about it at times (really am working on fixing that), it is one of those things I enjoy picking apart and examining.  Which isn't a hostile thing as many religious seem to believe, it's just how my mind processes information.  I do that with every juicy tidbit that falls into it.  But I look forward to hearing something new, or at least an old thought presented in a new way, given a different slant to think about, and not just the same old yada-yada I've heard literally all my life.
Sandy

Nam

Quote from: Bluenose on February 24, 2016, 12:35:18 AM
As for the OP in this thread, I reserve my judgement for now, but my troll detector had been flickering,..

You're an idiot.

Wait...is that a troll response?

-Nam