News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on July 18, 2018, 02:01:53 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 18, 2018, 02:50:40 AM
I think I'm going to have to find a new job. I don't know who in their right mind would hire me though.

JJ, I got the impression you have a day job in addition to fixing the farm gear?

I do. I found a few openings. One is a finger jointer operator Monday through Thursday and the other is a CNC saw operator. I'm not "qualified" for either but recon I can apply and then try to follow up. I can try.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on July 18, 2018, 03:55:40 PM
I think I'm going to have to find a new job. I don't know who in their right mind would hire me though.

JJ, I got the impression you have a day job in addition to fixing the farm gear?

I do. I found a few openings. One is a finger jointer operator Monday through Thursday and the other is a CNC saw operator. I'm not "qualified" for either but recon I can apply and then try to follow up. I can try.

Yeah, go for it! You have the practical mind to do that and better - but bread today is better than cake tomorrow . . . possibly!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

I've been thinking about this for a while and now that I've finally told a few people the anxiety I've been feeling has subsided a lot. Like, I think I might be able to sleep tonight.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 18, 2018, 01:51:08 PM

You'll be OK, it's my experience that right mindedness is an ephemeral state rarely attained often pretended/acted/faked.

Quite so.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on July 18, 2018, 03:55:40 PM

Go for it, JJ!  :thumbsup:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Today's Wednesday...and here I was thinking it was Tuesday. :notsure:

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 18, 2018, 09:42:33 PM

Ah, shucks! 'Tis better when it's Wednesday and you are thinking it's Tuesdsy - one less day to the weekend.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on July 18, 2018, 09:45:29 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 18, 2018, 09:42:33 PM

Ah, shucks! 'Tis better when it's Wednesday and you are thinking it's Tuesdsy - one less day to the weekend.

My thoughts exactly! :grin:

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Essie Mae

For the three weeks I am here in Oz I never seem to know what day it is; it's just wall to wall granddaughters. I'm relying on Mr M back in the UK to remind me when to get on the plane home.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

At 1.50am, during a trip to the loo, whether or not that was gunfire I heard through the open window.

I am not unfamiliar with the sound of distant small arms fire and there are no military training areas within 20 or 30 miles of here. There were about ten erratically spaced reports over 30 seconds or less, my memory of military training is that it went on for a lot longer.

Around here such noises are normally only heard during the day in the game shooting season when the wind is right.

Will check the news tomorrow,

jumbojak

Could it have been firecrackers or something similar?

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on July 21, 2018, 02:14:16 AM

Could have been, there has been nothing in the news. But they must have been pretty big firecrackers. With a gunshot at distance the sound gets "smeared" out, deeper components travel slowly than high frequency ones so it is almost like a very short echo. Never heard that effect from a firework and have heard plenty of those!

A shotgun has fewer high frequency and more lower components.

Tank

Quote from: Dave on July 21, 2018, 07:15:27 PM

Could have been, there has been nothing in the news. But they must have been pretty big firecrackers. With a gunshot at distance the sound gets "smeared" out, deeper components travel slowly than high frequency ones so it is almost like a very short echo. Never heard that effect from a firework and have heard plenty of those!

Interesting.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on July 21, 2018, 07:29:15 PM
Quote from: Dave on July 21, 2018, 07:15:27 PM

Interesting.

Ideally guns should produce little more than a pop. All the work of the propellant oudhing the bullet is done in the bsrrel, once the bullet leaves the muzzle it effectively coasts then starts to decelerate. The bang is surplus gas being disipated, plays little part in adding impetus to the bullet. But, as these things go, better to give the biggest shove you can and waste a little energy to ensure the bullet gets as far as fast as it can.

This does not apply to a system, made in the 60s, where the propellant was in the bullet, no cartridge case, it was still accelerating yards after leaving the muzzle! But it had to be a long bullet to get the range and therefore heavier - bit contradictory. But at short range it was, in effect, a mini explosive rocket with an almost flat trajectory.

Note: in my RAF days I was keen on guns, used to buy "Guns & Ammo" regularly,  and we had to learn a bit about the sound/distance/type thing in combat training (such as it was, we were only expected to be the very last line of defence. But I did ride "shotgun" and stand armed guard a few times in Cyprus and Bahrein.)