News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Words, Words And More Words!

Started by xSilverPhinx, January 04, 2017, 01:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Arturo on March 16, 2017, 01:31:59 PM
They should know if they understand English.

No, I don't think so. Not what it means physically on their planet.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 16, 2017, 01:34:20 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on March 16, 2017, 12:31:22 PM
Observe the face of an Earthling clock.
Draw out that face on the ground, including marking the centre of that face, the location where the two pointers, or "hands", obviously swivel, at a size that you can stand in and be able to see the numbers in the face by turning your head and/or twisting your body.
Stand at the centre point of that clock-face-on-the-floor such that you are facing the number 12.
Turn your head to look to the number at 90 degrees from that number 12.
If that number is 9 you are looking to your left side.
If that number is 3 then you are looking to your right side.
We would have to send instructions to draw a clock face, going back to the problem of describing what clockwise and anticlockwise mean, so that the numbers can be drawn in the correct direction.

Ah, oops, forgot that these aliens are not here (yet) and no  pictures!

I have that feeling in my water that this is one of those complex seeming probs with a simple solution.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on March 16, 2017, 01:44:52 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on March 16, 2017, 01:34:20 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on March 16, 2017, 12:31:22 PM
Observe the face of an Earthling clock.
Draw out that face on the ground, including marking the centre of that face, the location where the two pointers, or "hands", obviously swivel, at a size that you can stand in and be able to see the numbers in the face by turning your head and/or twisting your body.
Stand at the centre point of that clock-face-on-the-floor such that you are facing the number 12.
Turn your head to look to the number at 90 degrees from that number 12.
If that number is 9 you are looking to your left side.
If that number is 3 then you are looking to your right side.

We would have to send instructions to draw a clock face, going back to the problem of describing what clockwise and anticlockwise mean, so that the numbers can be drawn in the correct direction.

Ah, oops, forgot that these aliens are not here (yet) and no  pictures!

I have that feeling in my water that this is one of those complex seeming probs with a simple solution.

I think you will appreciate an engineering example: How to describe what a right-handed screw looks like.

No, if this helps, there is no simple solution.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Arturo on March 16, 2017, 02:55:19 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 16, 2017, 01:24:37 AM
More of a challenge this time:

How would you explain the verb "to fold", as in fold a piece of paper, to someone with intermediate English. Words such as "bend" are a no-no.  :sadshake:

Bend is like folds smaller weaker brother. Fold does 250 bench press at the gym all the way through while bend can't get a full report with 15 lb curls.

Ok but seriously, they would both work in that sentence but it depends on what meaning you want to get across. Fold is going all the way and putting a crease that can't be removed. Bend is to just shape the paper so it's a different shape but not to where it won't go back. Additionally, bend can be used to convey the same as fold and people will still know what you mean but fold doesn't hold that nuance.

I'm just trying to explain to some people with limited vocabulary what to fold means without using words like bend or crease. :P  In this case, fold a piece of paper. 

This is more challenging than I expected.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 17, 2017, 09:50:33 AM

How would you explain the verb "to fold", as in fold a piece of paper, to someone with intermediate English. Words such as "bend" are a no-no.  :sadshake:

Bend is like folds smaller weaker brother. Fold does 250 bench press at the gym all the way through while bend can't get a full report with 15 lb curls.

Ok but seriously, they would both work in that sentence but it depends on what meaning you want to get across. Fold is going all the way and putting a crease that can't be removed. Bend is to just shape the paper so it's a different shape but not to where it won't go back. Additionally, bend can be used to convey the same as fold and people will still know what you mean but fold doesn't hold that nuance.

I'm just trying to explain to some people with limited vocabulary what to fold means without using words like bend or crease. :P  In this case, fold a piece of paper. 

Is one allowed instructions like, "Pick up one side of a piece of paper, move this side over the piece until it touches the other side, hold it down there with one hand, press on the paper so that it becomes flat all over. This is called folding and you have made a fold. This can also be done with a piece of cloth and other things."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on March 17, 2017, 11:24:45 AM

Is one allowed instructions like, "Pick up one side of a piece of paper, move this side over the piece until it touches the other side, hold it down there with one hand, press on the paper so that it becomes flat all over. This is called folding and you have made a fold. This can also be done with a piece of cloth and other things."

I think that could work. :notsure: It could probably be made shorter, as in "Move one side of a piece of paper until it touches the other side and press on the paper until it becomes flat all over".

Paper space is lacking. :P 

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 17, 2017, 11:37:16 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on March 17, 2017, 11:24:45 AM

I think that could work. :notsure: It could probably be made shorter, as in "Move one side of a piece of paper until it touches the other side and press on the paper until it becomes flat all over".

Paper space is lacking. :P
It was just a quick first draft!

QuotePaper space is lacking. :P

O que?

xSilverPhinx

Is the word monikered as in "nicknamed" common usage? It shows up in some dictionaries but I'm not sure if this form is used often enough. :notsure:

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 23, 2017, 09:52:33 PM
Is the word monikered as in "nicknamed" common usage? It shows up in some dictionaries but I'm not sure if this form is used often enough. :notsure:
Not sure that I have ever heard it! Google offers a usage history for "moniker" but not "monikered", in fact it offers no definition either. Suggests it is a quite recent word.

xSilverPhinx

Yeah... :notsure:

Probably "had the moniker" is a better option? 

Magdalena

I have a question for Gloucester not related to the word, monikered.
Tell me, my friend, how is the Think Humanism forum:eyebrow:
Quote from: Gloucester on May 23, 2017, 10:08:27 PM

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on May 23, 2017, 11:36:47 PM

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 23, 2017, 10:17:31 PM
Yeah... :notsure:

Probably "had the moniker" is a better option?

I was mentally linking "monikered" as a synonym for "named" or "called" - "What's he monikered?"

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on May 23, 2017, 11:36:47 PM

Blimey, Mags, definitely a bit of a non-secateur, eh, what?

Much the same as ever, two characters having a continued political arguement about the same things they have been hitting heads on for years, a few playing games, odd bit of discussion on current affairs . . . No mention of Manchester yet that I have noticed.

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on May 24, 2017, 07:35:24 AM
Blimey, Mags, definitely a bit of a non-secateur, eh, what?

I find it quite difficult to prune my roses with non-secateurs.
― Charles Eames