News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 05, 2016, 03:48:16 PM
QuoteGeorge Osborne has pledged to cut corporation tax to encourage businesses to continue investing in the UK following the EU referendum vote.

In an interview with the Financial Times, the chancellor said he would reduce the rate to below 15% - some 5% lower than its current 20% rate.

That would give the UK the lowest corporation tax of any major economy.

We'n all 'll lower our rates to match.
Soon we'll be paying 'em to fuck us.

There's a long list of us paying them

No complaints about that here. That's £000s more in my pocket... if, indeed my company can survive the reduction in workflow that we've already noticed. Yes, as surveyors (or Architects Bitches as we're affectionately known) we are always the litmus paper for the economy in general. The first to feel the pinch, yet the first to recover. I'm certainly more than a little worried right now... Application papers for French citizenship on tomorrows to-do list!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Dave

Quote from: Velma on July 04, 2016, 01:17:33 AM
Quote from: MariaEvri on June 28, 2016, 12:05:18 PM
Quotetendonitis

one of the few words that make me go hisss
i too suffered from that ad even after therapy i still have to be extremely careful X(
About three years ago I developed tendinitis. At the time, I was working in the Controlled Substances Room at work, filling 500 + vials in a 10 hours shift. Opening all those manufacturer bottles caused tendinitis. It was weeks before I could work in that area again.
If twas in the wrist from a twisting action might have been De Quervain's Tenosynovitis, inflamation of the wrist tendons. I got it unscrewing and rescrewing 200 screws in the roof linings of twenty ambulances, 8000 actions  in 10 hours, had to do them fast. This was before the days of electric screwdrivers.

Problems recurred for a year, despite therapy, until a new GP injected a steroid into the tendon. Hurt a bit but fixed problem!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Velma

Quote from: Gloucester on July 05, 2016, 10:22:10 PM
Quote from: Velma on July 04, 2016, 01:17:33 AM
Quote from: MariaEvri on June 28, 2016, 12:05:18 PM
Quotetendonitis

one of the few words that make me go hisss
i too suffered from that ad even after therapy i still have to be extremely careful X(
About three years ago I developed tendinitis. At the time, I was working in the Controlled Substances Room at work, filling 500 + vials in a 10 hours shift. Opening all those manufacturer bottles caused tendinitis. It was weeks before I could work in that area again.
If twas in the wrist from a twisting action might have been De Quervain's Tenosynovitis, inflamation of the wrist tendons. I got it unscrewing and rescrewing 200 screws in the roof linings of twenty ambulances, 8000 actions  in 10 hours, had to do them fast. This was before the days of electric screwdrivers.

Problems recurred for a year, despite therapy, until a new GP injected a steroid into the tendon. Hurt a bit but fixed problem!
That's good. After a few weeks of wearing a brace and a bit of physical therapy, I managed not to have a recurrence by monitoring how I opened the bottles so that I wasn't making the exact same movement every time. After a bit, that got to be a habit.

Repetitive motion injuries are fairly common in a lot of work places. Few of us realize how often we are repeating the same motions during the day. Although for most, the damage takes months to show.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Guardian85

Got something like that in the leg during boot camp. Probably from marching everywhere in new boots.
It passed in time, but in the meantime I had written permission from the camp medical officer to wear my running shoes with my day uniform.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Arturo

I have no reason to be grumpy. I'm just glad to see you all. I know that doesn't fit the thread. Are you going to ban me now? That would make me grumpy. If it makes me grumpy, I can post in this thread. If I'm banned, I cannot post in this thread. Your choice.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Quote from: Apathy on July 07, 2016, 05:25:06 AM
I have no reason to be grumpy. I'm just glad to see you all. I know that doesn't fit the thread. Are you going to ban me now? That would make me grumpy. If it makes me grumpy, I can post in this thread. If I'm banned, I cannot post in this thread. Your choice.
Eye's ban hammer.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Apathy on July 07, 2016, 05:25:06 AM

I'd call on Dvorak, our drug detecting beagle to check you out, but he is a partaker and I don't know where the fuck he is.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Siz on July 05, 2016, 05:00:21 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 05, 2016, 03:48:16 PM
QuoteGeorge Osborne has pledged to cut corporation tax to encourage businesses to continue investing in the UK following the EU referendum vote.

In an interview with the Financial Times, the chancellor said he would reduce the rate to below 15% - some 5% lower than its current 20% rate.

That would give the UK the lowest corporation tax of any major economy.

We'n all 'll lower our rates to match.
Soon we'll be paying 'em to fuck us.

There's a long list of us paying them

No complaints about that here. That's £000s more in my pocket... if, indeed my company can survive the reduction in workflow that we've already noticed. Yes, as surveyors (or Architects Bitches as we're affectionately known) we are always the litmus paper for the economy in general. The first to feel the pinch, yet the first to recover. I'm certainly more than a little worried right now... Application papers for French citizenship on tomorrows to-do list!

Really?
Around here that sort of thing wouldn't favour a local human.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Guardian85

Suddenly, out of the blue: blue screen of death.

Good thing I just got paid. Going to have to take my computer in to get serviced.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on July 10, 2016, 11:55:58 PM

Good thing I just got paid. Going to have to take my computer in to get serviced.
God saw you had too much money  :snicker:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on July 11, 2016, 12:58:45 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on July 10, 2016, 11:55:58 PM

God saw you had too much money  :snicker:
What a cunt!  >:(

-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Can you not service it yourself? What's the error code?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

Quote from: Asmodean on July 11, 2016, 01:32:51 PM
Can you not service it yourself? What's the error code?
Wouldn't know where to begin (not an IT guy) and don't really have time for that right now.

Just got word back from the computer fixing dude. Apparently the entire OS collapsed and will need to be reset. They will throw in a file recovery for me which is nice.

-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Well, I AM an IT guy and that there is something you could probably have fixed free of charge with relative ease by booting the PC from recovery partition and letting it walk the talk.

Windows would give you some recovery options too. The files are normally not damaged. Software-generated bluescreen-crashes are usually due to a critical failure in a specific file. The operating system's internal mechanisms for dealing with such are usually good enough.

If the problem persists, send me the make/model of your computer and the OS it runs and I can walk you through troubleshooting and recovery. In most cases, it really doesn't take much.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Hooray for Asmo to the rescue.  G85 is the beneficiary of informed council.

I am the least IT savvy guy in the free world. It is painfully apparent that I can not find my ass with either hand when the computer is involved. That is definitely not a brag, it is a shame that I have as little facility with the magic box as a six year old. When I grow up I will get a better handle on it......maybe.