News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

A potential rule modification.

Started by Tank, March 18, 2018, 11:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

The recent events with Bretheren (he declared himself a Nazi) have led to discussions among the staff. The discussion led to the consideration of adding a new rule. In essence the rule would allow the staff to circumvent the existing 'three striles and you're out' for new members that support or are members of known racist, sexist or hate groups. The staff could effectivly ban on first offence.

What are your thoughts?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Why not just treat them the same as everyone else? I know it might be a bit more work and I'm no fan if nazis, I had to bite my tongue around him for fear of getting banned myself, but the reasonable part of my brain says they should be given the same chance as everyone else. You don't want to know what the unreasonable part of my brain says...

Then again, it could attract more of their kind and end up being a lot more work for the staff and add a new level of toxicity ti the forum, driving away the old hands. Either way wouldn't bother me.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Earliest excision of cancerous material can certainly reduce the chance of disease spreading.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

Well said Dave. I agree. Unless you can enforce a fire at the firehouse rule, where said offending party gets to wake up tomorrow as of of the groups they so blindly hate, I'd suggest expediting taking out the trash.

Icarus

I suggest that our administrators generously spend enough time on our collective behalf.  They do not need the extra bother of being patient with an extremist of any stripe.

I do enjoy reading opposing points of view which might be informative or educational.  That does not include the ramblings of a far out conspiracy theorist, an ill informed knot head, or a shallow minded evangelist.   

Bluenose

I agree with Dave and Icarus.  Cut out the rotten wood as soon as it becomes apparent.  I trust the admins to use the banning stick only when appropriate.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Davin

Ideally, we should allow people to speak their minds in an open format allowing discussion. The rules we have are adequate for that purpose.

However, this is a relatively small forum and sitting on such people takes time and effort from unpaid moderators. I'm fine with it as long as even racists are still given a fair shake at civility.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Trump is the only one who wants to hear what the Nazis have to say. I say, ban those mother flowers.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Here's a proposed addition to the rules of the site, intended to address this issue. It isn't necessarily a final draft. Suggestions or discussion by the members may produce improvements to the wording.

New members who espouse support for extremist ideologies or known hate groups may not receive the full benefit of the Rule Enforcement Process, and may be summarily banned at the discretion of the staff of the site.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

jumbojak

As someone who could've rightly been called an extremist in the not so distant past, I wonder if this rule will be enforced on the basis of the, roughly, prevailing ideological leaning of the forum. This change was proposed based on the statements of a right wing ideologue, and I'm curious as to whether the same criteria would apply to someone from a far left group.

Just to be clear I don't really have a dog in this fight. My days of political activity are past. It's just something you might want to think about.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

Quote from: jumbojak on March 22, 2018, 11:58:19 PM
As someone who could've rightly been called an extremist in the not so distant past, I wonder if this rule will be enforced on the basis of the, roughly, prevailing ideological leaning of the forum. This change was proposed based on the statements of a right wing ideologue, and I'm curious as to whether the same criteria would apply to someone from a far left group.

Just to be clear I don't really have a dog in this fight. My days of political activity are past. It's just something you might want to think about.
Yes. Ban those  far left group mother flowers, as well. Any extremist.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Come on raps, that's a little extreme, don't you think?

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on March 23, 2018, 02:52:57 AM
Come on raps, that's a little extreme, don't you think?
:snicker:

But seriously, you're being extreme by insinuating that I'm being extreme.
Yes?  :notsure:

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on March 22, 2018, 11:58:19 PM

Serious question. What would a left wing extremist look like?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.