Main Menu

Good free software

Started by AlP, August 15, 2009, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

For those who just love to do statistics, the free alternative to SPSS:

PSPP

AlP

Quote from: "Squid"For those who just love to do statistics, the free alternative to SPSS:

PSPP
Well as it happens, I do just love to do statistics. Good Lord. Thanks Squid.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Vangelis

Ummm... No-one's mentioned operating systems? Can't believe it! Or maybe I just missed it. Why pay hundreds of dollars for something that is freely available?

Anyway, I use Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu has 6 monthly releases (yes, that's half a year - you don't need to wait 5+ years between releases) and I installed it on my netbook resulting in a 10 second startup (!!!) and 3 second shutdown. Amazing!  :brick:

Tank

Quote from: "AlP"I figured I would share some of the best free software I use regularly. Please add suggestions for excellent free software =).

Paint.net
A simplified Adobe Photoshop that doesn't suck like the gimp.
This gets my vote to. Can't comment about Gimp as I don't use it. But I do use Photoshop Elements and Paint.net has some more advanced features not found on Elements.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

Found this a little while back, seems to work very well and has a lot of useful features.
http://www.pixlr.com/editor/
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

The Magic Pudding

WordWeb is a handy dictionary, installed on your computer, not a web ap.

Karen’s Directory Printer, I use it to list the contents of external drives.
It produces a text file which can be transferred to a spreadsheet.
Particularly useful for finding movie files.

Microsoft Virtual PC, set up an alternate operating system which runs within your existing windows.
Test software, run programs that don't work in your main windows version.

Microsoft Sync Toy, synchronise files in different locations.

Creative Media Source Organizer, for music.  You can use it like a windows explorer window, with a navigation pane, folder pane and in addition a now playing pane.  Despite the programs name, I don't use it to organize files and folders, just to navigate folders and play files.

Also Zone Alarm firewall and Thunderbird email.

reed9

Quote from: "Vangelis"Ummm... No-one's mentioned operating systems? Can't believe it! Or maybe I just missed it. Why pay hundreds of dollars for something that is freely available?

Arch Linux

Free software I couldn't live without:

Bash

Openbox

Screen

Elinks

Mplayer

Snownews

MPD + Ncmpcpp

Openssh

Reasonable

have you guys used mydropbox? am not sure if it's a software, but it backs up your files online and keeps it online even when you're computer is off.  It's like having an always on gotomypc account :)

epepke

Recusant

Ah.  The revival of this thread reminds me to thank you, MariaEvri, for posting about Stellarium.  It's a very nice planetarium program, and I've been enjoying it! :banna:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Reasonable

Quote from: "Recusant"Ah.  The revival of this thread reminds me to thank you, MariaEvri, for posting about Stellarium.  It's a very nice planetarium program, and I've been enjoying it! :) )

MariaEvri

Quote from: "Reasonable"
Quote from: "Recusant"Ah.  The revival of this thread reminds me to thank you, MariaEvri, for posting about Stellarium.  It's a very nice planetarium program, and I've been enjoying it! :) )

uh? thats weird. I just downloaded directly from the website
http://www.stellarium.org/

you mean you installed but but wont run?
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

AlP

My thread lives! Sorry for my recent absence. I have become obsessed with something.

I'll add VMWare Player. It lets you run Windows and Linux and other OSes simultaneously (like all on screen at the same time) on one computer.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Recusant

Quote from: "Reasonable"I have never gotten my copy to run, what version do you have.
(note to self, avoid going to torrent sites :livelong:Good to see you back, AlP
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tom62

Does anyone know a good all-round text- and hex editor for the Mac? I'm using TextWrangler now, but that freeware editor is very limited (and not intuitive) in comparison with the PSPad Editor that I have running under Windows (on the Mac with Parallels).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein