News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Objects of Desire

Started by hermes2015, April 04, 2018, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Does that chair rock hermes?

And to dragonia, all you have to do is plan and plant. Your garden wouldn't be the same but it would be yours.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: Dragonia on April 11, 2018, 12:31:35 PM
Hermes, is the above chair comfortable? It's very sleek and distinctive, but it doesn't look very comfortable!

The whole  things rotates so one can use it almost sitting up to a position where the feet are above one's head. One pregnant woman told me that was her favourite position. I find it comdortable after a busy day to just relax and de-stress for perhaps 20 minutes. The rest of the time it just looks so damn beautiful, almost as a piece of sculpture, so to me that is also an important function. For long periods I find the Eames chairs more suitable for TV watching or reading. I find the Eames Aluminium Group armchair, of which I have 2, also very comfortable. This one:

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Dragonia on April 11, 2018, 01:14:50 PM
There aren't many objects that I deeply desire, I guess. I mean, I want things of course, and I find things beautiful, but not enough to pay for them.
What I deeply desire, what feeds my soul, isn't really objects, it's nature. There is a perfect example of what I aspire to surround myself with, fairly close to my home. I shall leave this tiny little minute-long video that gives a very brief glimpse of this 12-acre wonderland.

I have a rare opportunity to go tour this place in a couple of weeks, but what I really want is to go alone. But that's not allowed :'(

I agree 100% about gardens, specifically, the Japanese Zen gardens in Kyoto.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on April 11, 2018, 01:34:35 PM

And to dragonia, all you have to do is plan and plant. Your garden wouldn't be the same but it would be yours.

No, it doesn't rock as such, but you can position it any way you want, because those big circular tubes just rest on the base, on big rubber-covered rollers.
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 11, 2018, 01:45:21 PM

No, it doesn't rock as such, but you can position it any way you want, because those big circular tubes just rest on the base, on big rubber-covered rollers.

That's actually really cool!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

hermes2015

Quote from: Dragonia on April 11, 2018, 02:45:33 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 11, 2018, 01:45:21 PM

That's actually really cool!

I was just now looking for a book I know I have that shows different positions, but can't find it. Perhaps I should take a photo of it in a different position.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

What I want right now is a brain stress toy:

I have a tiny one but it's not the same as a larger squishy toy you can wrap your fingers around...not the same... :headshake:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 12, 2018, 12:10:48 AM
What I want right now is a brain stress toy:

I have a tiny one but it's not the same as a larger squishy toy you can wrap your fingers around...not the same... :headshake:

You think your brain is tiny? You should see mine.
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Dragonia, that beautiful place makes me think of some lines from Omar Khayam.........A jug of wine, a loaf of bread, and thou beside me in the wilderness, is paradise enow.

Who could imagine such a place in Alabama the bastion of the redneck culture.  That is actually no fair.  There are magnificent places in our small world that we often fail to appreciate. Almost....well not quite, make me want to believe in god and his glory.

Dragonia

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Davin on April 12, 2018, 08:39:44 PM

That's a good desk toy.

I've always wanted a Crookes radiometer.

― Charles Eames

Icarus

Me too, I have always wanted a radiometer...and several other remarkable science toys.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on April 13, 2018, 04:55:07 AM
Me too, I have always wanted a radiometer...and several other remarkable science toys.

When I was a boy I had one of those drinking birds. I don't know what they are called, perhaps "drinking birds"?
― Charles Eames

Dave

Got a radiometer but so old now it rarely works unless you give it a nudge to break the "stiction". When new it would work in almost darknes just by wrapping your hands round it without actually touching it - had one kid semi-convinced that was mind over matter! Still want to know how they are made.

And a so-called "Gallileo" thermometer, a "Newton's cradle", a "solar motor" (six cells each with a coil that spin on a "magnetic suspension spindle" in sunlight) and other sciency toys.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74