News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Glad to be here

Started by Curt, June 29, 2017, 06:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curt

My name is Curt. I grew up in Kansas in the heart of the bible belt.  Lived on the east coast for the last 5 yrs (Maryland).  I do enjoy the much more secular environment on the coast then in the south or Midwest. Both my parents are religious.  But I can say I never bought into it myself.  Just don't understand how people can believe something that there is no credible evidence for.  I am 39 years old.  I love Science. That's all for now. Nice to be here.

hermes2015

Hi Curt, welcome to this collection of godless freaks. Be prepared for lots of pearls of wisdom and insight wrapped in sarcasm and wise-assery.

Please tell us more about your life and interests - you don't have to be curt, Curt.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Curt on June 29, 2017, 06:08:50 AM
My name is Curt. I grew up in Kansas in the heart of the bible belt.  Lived on the east coast for the last 5 yrs (Maryland).  I do enjoy the much more secular environment on the coast then in the south or Midwest. Both my parents are religious.  But I can say I never bought into it myself.  Just don't understand how people can believe something that there is no credible evidence for.  I am 39 years old.  I love Science. That's all for now. Nice to be here.

Hello Curt

I think you'll fit in just fine :)

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Greetings, Curt. We are not all freaks, despite Hermes opinion, some of us are only a bit weird. But most rationally weird of course.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 29, 2017, 06:21:35 AM
Hi Curt, welcome to this collection of godless freaks. Be prepared for lots of pearls of wisdom and insight wrapped in sarcasm and wise-assery.

Please tell us more about your life and interests - you don't have to be curt, Curt.
I resisted that. How many times do you think he's heard that? I wonder if he rustles when he walks?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on June 29, 2017, 06:37:57 AM
Greetings, Curt. We are not all freaks, despite Hermes opinion, some of us are only a bit weird. But most rationally weird of course.
Says the freakiest of freaks!

OldGit

Greetings and welcome, Curt!  As Tank says, I'd say you''ll be at home here.

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on June 29, 2017, 06:43:02 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on June 29, 2017, 06:21:35 AM

I resisted that. How many times do you think he's heard that? I wonder if he rustles when he walks?
He probably only rustles in spring.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Welcome to the forum, Curt!  :spagwelcome:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Biggus Dickus

Welcome to the Forum my son, now please ask god to forgive thy trespasses, and say three Hail Mary's in repentance. 8)

What type of Christians is your family if you don't mind me axing?

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

joeactor

Quote from: Gloucester on June 29, 2017, 06:37:57 AM

We're not all godless either. Ok, now I'm confused...

Welcome!

Claireliontamer

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Curt. Sounds like you made the right decision moving to Maryland! I hope that you enjoy your time reading and posting here.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken