News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Creationist/Flat Earth/Etc Images

Started by Pasta Chick, December 07, 2016, 03:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 11, 2016, 07:07:42 PM

I'm not going to fiddle with your post, but I think you need to take away the virgule ("slash") at the end of that address and put ".jpg" in its place.  ;)

That flat earth/sun video made me slightly nauseous.  :bleh:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

:sadnod:

The Asmo is still convinced that He's being messed with somehow.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Recusant on December 11, 2016, 07:50:53 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 11, 2016, 07:07:42 PM

I'm not going to fiddle with your post, but I think you need to take away the virgule ("slash") at the end of that address and put ".jpg" in its place.  ;)

That flat earth/sun video made me slightly nauseous.  :bleh:

I think I got it. I have a hard time with previews and editing for some reason. I think it's my server.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Pasta Chick

Oh, it's real

If you rightfully have zero desire to wade through that steaming pile of horseshit, the jist is that some dude who is off his rocker but happens to hold a PhD said some bizarre stuff and was roundly shouted down by every other scientist everywhere, but not before creationists got a hold of it and started going "SEE WE TOLD YOU IT MAKES NO SENSE!"

Arturo

For one, chimps and pigs cannot physically have offspring.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Recusant

Hmm, that meme is different than the image I found associated with the original address. Just for interest, here's the one I found:

As for McCarthy's idea, despite the fact that he's a geneticist, he's apparently been unable to produce any genetic evidence supporting it. Instead he relies exclusively on morphological similarities between pigs and humans, i.e. some physical characteristics are shared by humans and pigs. He claims that the reason there's no genetic evidence is because "humans are probably the result of multiple generations of backcrossing to chimpanzees, which in nucleotide sequence data comparisons would effectively mask any contribution from pig" (source). His, eh, outré hypothesis hasn't got any traction with scientists who study human origins, as Pasta Chick said (though not in so many words  ;)).
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MariaEvri

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 14, 2016, 01:34:40 AM
Oh, it's real

If you rightfully have zero desire to wade through that steaming pile of horseshit, the jist is that some dude who is off his rocker but happens to hold a PhD said some bizarre stuff and was roundly shouted down by every other scientist everywhere, but not before creationists got a hold of it and started going "SEE WE TOLD YOU IT MAKES NO SENSE!"

Oh my sweet cheesus, what a steaming pile of bull's manure.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

:sadshake:

Steaming. :sadnod: Probably infectious and certainly toxic too. :sadnod:

Also,
Quote from: link aboveAll I can say is that I'm beginning to get very, very tired of so-called "scientists" and their groupies thinking and talking like religious fanatics, and of existing "acceptable" scientific theories increasingly taking on the stained patina of dogma. McCarthy appears to have the credentials; why don't those who disagree with his "outlandish" conclusions answer him with scientific rigor, rather than ad hominem?

I'd answer a child with no credentials whatsoever with scientific rigor unless that child was completely full of shit.

For the vast majority (At least where I'm from) of the generally intelligent, credentials mean little - the quality of one's work means a lot. A Ph.D by itself means little more than that you were at one form of school or another for a really, really long time - if that. They give those things out to honour people too, or so I've read. Three letters and a dot don't make you a competent scientist any more than the titular M.D makes you a competent surgeon.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

I admit, I did "wade in" a bit. McCarthy's tactic of sprinkling comments from his cheerleaders in the midst of the exposition of his hypothesis was almost as unpleasant as the design of the site. I left off when he tried to use the mythical "cabbit" (cat-rabbit hybrid) as support for his idea. His attitude of "well, people give a number of reasons why it's not possible, but there are other people who swear it's happened" is disingenuous given the fact that the naysayers are scientists and some of the most vociferous pro-"cabbit" people are selling the supposed hybrids. :eyebrow:
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

By the power of The Asmo, behold The Crocoduck!

...I can see the similarities they see in the existing species, but... Common ancestry does not constitute hybridization.

Mammals do share large chunks of their genetic makeup. We even share a fair bit of it with like... Pine trees. Doesn't mean that you can stick your penis into a hole in a tree and produce an ent.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Asmodean on December 15, 2016, 01:25:52 AM
Mammals do share large chunks of their genetic makeup. We even share a fair bit of it with like... Pine trees. Doesn't mean that you can stick your penis into a hole in a tree and produce an ent.

Which is a damn shame. I feel like we could use an army of Ents about now.

Asmodean

With big rocks. Those come from sticking penises in the ground, or so I hear.  :sadnod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Arturo

Quote from: Asmodean on December 15, 2016, 02:09:01 AM
With big rocks. Those come from sticking penises in the ground, or so I hear.  :sadnod:

Fuck the world!
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱