News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Saying Hello

Started by TeresaBenedicta, May 04, 2011, 04:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasonG

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Stevil on May 06, 2011, 10:40:46 AM
No need to apologize. It's great to have a bunch of Catholics on the site. It's a flavour of Christianity that I have not discussed before, but have some media based exposure. The Exorcist movies, Vampire movies and the such. Hear stuff on the news about statements from the Pope.
My perception isn't that great so I would love to discuss and clarify some of this stuff.

By the way what would you call a collection of Catholics? You know, like a murder of crows, or a gaggle of geese, or a herd of cows?

:D

Not sure, but wherever there's four Catholics, there's bound to be a Fifth!!  :D
All men by nature desire to know. -Aristotle

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

The Black Jester

You're always on here...like me!  You certainly seem to have a lot of focus towards us lost souls:  ;D
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Stevil

I was thinking a flock of Catholics, but wasn't sure if that could be seen as derogitory.
Isn't there a  phrase "the lord is my shepherd"?

I'm not sure what to call a group of Athiests?

Maybe an anarchy of Atheists?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Stevil on May 06, 2011, 08:22:12 PM
I was thinking a flock of Catholics, but wasn't sure if that could be seen as derogitory.

I was thinking that too.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

amppax

Quote from: Stevil on May 06, 2011, 08:22:12 PM

I'm not sure what to call a group of Athiests?

Maybe an anarchy of Atheists?

Flock sounds good, not derogatory at all. As for Atheists... how about an avalon of Atheists (avalon is the term for a group of albatross)? I think that sounds pretty cool ;D Hope it doesn't sound derogatory, not meant to be.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

I think "group of" is simple and effective. I don't really care what word a person chooses to use: group, flock, gaggle, herd, murder... well maybe "a murder of Catholics" or "a murder of atheists" might be too easily confused with something else.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: The Black Jester on May 06, 2011, 07:18:03 PM
You're always on here...like me!  You certainly seem to have a lot of focus towards us lost souls:  ;D

Nah, just not a lot of focus at work ;)

Sad day- nobody got my Catholic joke.  :(  A fifth... like a fifth of liquor.   :D  (Sorry, I crack myself up sometimes.)

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

The Black Jester

Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 06, 2011, 09:09:24 PM

Sad day- nobody got my Catholic joke.  :(  A fifth... like a fifth of liquor.   :D  (Sorry, I crack myself up sometimes.)

No, no...I got it!
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

Stevil

I've just done an internet search. A fifth of a gallon huh, we use metric system in NZ, much easier.

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Stevil on May 06, 2011, 09:41:06 PM

I've just done an internet search. A fifth of a gallon huh, we use metric system in NZ, much easier.

Oi.  Trust me.  It would be much easier if we bloody Americans would just switch over.  Metric makes much more sense and is much more widely used.

The Black Jester

Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 06, 2011, 09:49:12 PM
Quote from: Stevil on May 06, 2011, 09:41:06 PM

Oi.  Trust me.  It would be much easier if we bloody Americans would just switch over.  Metric makes much more sense and is much more widely used.

Agreed.  You won't remember this, because you're, like, 22 and you were barely born in the 80's but the metric system was adopted in the US for like a week in the 70's.  Wasn't terribly popular.
The Black Jester

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: The Black Jester on May 06, 2011, 09:53:35 PM
Agreed.  You won't remember this, because you're, like, 22 and you were barely born in the 80's but the metric system was adopted in the US for like a week in the 70's.  Wasn't terribly popular.

Well, there was a lot going on in the 70s, with many other popular movements that probably didn't include the metric system.  ;)

I'd be curious if it would take better these days.  Most of the sciences strictly use the metric system as it is.

Stevil

Quote from: The Black Jester on May 06, 2011, 09:53:35 PM
People are very resistent to change. We are creatures of habit.