News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Agnostic Atheist Here!

Started by Snufkin, April 15, 2011, 02:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snufkin

Hello, here's my introduction and a little of my background.

I was born into a Christian family, and I was baptised at a young age. I went to a Church Of England school which was literally right next to a church. Every morning we would have to sing in the assembly hall, I didn't really mind singing but I never really understood why we were singing. I would also go to Sunday school on occasion. As time went on and I learnt more about the bible and more about science it became more difficult to accept, and at some point I just realised I was an atheist.

I went to University, graduated and now I work as a Software Engineer for a large software company. I'm scientific and analytic but I also have a passionate artistic side.

I have a girlfriend who is an atheist and a microbiologist (when you're a microbiologist it's very hard not to 'believe' in evolution since that's how bacteria become become resistant to certain treatments).

I do enjoy friendly debate and discussion so I think I'll get on fine here :)

If you have any questions on my views etc, I'd be happy to answer here.

Hobbit

Hey Snufkin, great to have you at the forum!

McQ

Hello, and welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here. Love to know there are others who combine and easily reconcile passion for art with science. Always reminds me of the great Richard Feynman.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Hi Snufkin

I used to know a 'snufkin' on RDF, would you be he?

Welcome to HAF

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Cecilie

I went to school right next to a mall.

Welcome to HAF!
The world's what you create.

Maria

Hello Snufkin.

Welcome to HAF. Nice to have another Brit here.

Maria

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

MasonG

The Black Jester

Quote from: McQ on April 15, 2011, 04:59:03 PM
Hello, and welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here. Love to know there are others who combine and easily reconcile passion for art with science. Always reminds me of the great Richard Feynman.

Ditto.  I began life as an actor, and am now pursuing the sciences.  Hoping to apply to a science writing program in the near future, as a way to combine both.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Snufkin on April 15, 2011, 02:46:44 PMIf you have any questions on my views etc, I'd be happy to answer here.

Star Wars Episode I, the Jah Jah Binks one, was it as crap as so many say?

amppax

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 06, 2011, 04:35:05 PM

yes  ;)

TeresaBenedicta

All men by nature desire to know. -Aristotle

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

Stevil

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 06, 2011, 04:35:05 PM
Quote from: Snufkin on April 15, 2011, 02:46:44 PMIf you have any questions on my views etc, I'd be happy to answer here.

Star Wars III was the best of the new ones, but I struggle to understand how he went from a slightly angry nice guy to chopping up little children.

thedport

welcome to HAF this place is uber fantasico. I am having a blast on here and hopefully so will you.
"An honest person can never surrender an honest doubt. Who doubts nothing knows nothing. The wise are prone to doubt."-The good book;Proverbs;Chapter 55