News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

An emotinal experience

Started by Dave, April 28, 2018, 06:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

This post will let you know just how sad I am! :)

I watched ''The theory of everything" last week and got a little emotional over the path of Steven Hawkin's marriage, that film was more Hawkins's personal story.

The BBC version was rated, mostly, as ''not so good'', on amazon but I watched that this evening. Of the two the latter, though concentrating more on is academic life, actually moved me to tears, something the first did not achieve. There were inconsistencies in the versions, something one has to accept in dramatic representations but, hopefully, the core was accurate.

When Dennis Sharmer (spelling may be wrong, can't find him on google) says something like, ''We don't use the word often but Steven has made Einstein beautiful.'' that was the final moment for me. That concept of beauty in thought hit me in the very centre of my being. Again.

The beautiful human, in form or personality, the beautiful piece of writing, the beautiful object, painting - all of those move me. But beauty in thought moves me more, the final ''product'' is worthy but perhaps the process towards it has more value to me.  The moment that insight hits and all the pieces fall into place and the answer is revealed. Then comes the fight to express the concept in terms mere mortals can comprehend, for, at that moment you are a god, a creator!

Beauty, elegance - apply as much to human thought as anything else.

Of course a couple of glasses of vino had their usual effect . . .

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on April 28, 2018, 06:45:45 PM
Of course a couple of glasses of vino had their usual effect . . .
Of course they did.  :sidesmile:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Beauty in thought can indeed be very powerful. Years ago I came across a book by Shelly Kagan titled Death, which is an outline of the course he teaches on the subject at Yale. That book helped me a great deal back then and I still reread it today. That book led me to his Limits of Morality which profoundly changed the way I look at moral interactions. He's a hell of a nice guy too.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

What you say about intellectual creativity is so true.

Eddie Redmayne is an impressive actor. He also gave a very moving performance in The Danish Girl.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 29, 2018, 04:53:24 AM
What you say about intellectual creativity is so true.

Eddie Redmayne is an impressive actor. He also gave a very moving performance in The Danish Girl.

Actually the version I viewed last night was the BBC TV one. Yes, the Redmayne "Theory of everything" also moved me but not in the same way. For some reason the appreciation of Hawkin's intellectual powers had more effect on me than that of his love life, which "Theory" was heavier on. In that case my appreciation of Hawkin might have been balanced by my sorrow for his wife and her dilemma, which did not figure so much in the BBC version.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74