News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Atheism

Started by Bubblepot, January 01, 2011, 12:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: "Existentialist"Ok, agreed.  I'll answer your question and then you can answer mine.  What's your question?
You can start here with all the things you avoided addressing.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Existentialist

Quote from: "Davin"
Quote from: "Existentialist"Ok, agreed.  I'll answer your question and then you can answer mine.  What's your question?

As I thought, no question from you.  

Oh well it doesn't matter - as LS has intimated, I think this debate has run its course.  Many thanks for your contributions Davin.

Davin

Quote from: "Existentialist"
Quote from: "Davin"

As I thought, no question from you.  

Oh well it doesn't matter - as LS has intimated, I think this debate has run its course.  Many thanks for your contributions Davin.
There were questions from me, I spent time to address all your points, you avoided mine. As for the debate running it's course, that was a long time ago when you stopped responding to my points. I'm now thinking of continuing to respond to actually see if you just keep responding, or to just let it go because it might irritate other people.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Existentialist

Would you still say that 'absence of theism' is the only possible definition of atheism and that nobody should try and make it mean anything more than that?

hackenslash

Quote from: "Existentialist"Would you still say that 'absence of theism' is the only possible definition of atheism and that nobody should try and make it mean anything more than that?

You've wheeled out this horseshit several times now. Would you like to point out where anybody said it? I've been back through the thread and I can't find it. Please cite it or stop implying that somebody has said it.
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

Existentialist

Quote from: "hackenslash"You've wheeled out this horseshit several times now. Would you like to point out where anybody said it? I've been back through the thread and I can't find it. Please cite it or stop implying that somebody has said it.

I don't co-operate with people who use that kind of tone to me.  Ask me politely, and I'll be more than happy to engage you in conversation.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "hackenslash"You've wheeled out this horseshit several times now. Would you like to point out where anybody said it? I've been back through the thread and I can't find it. Please cite it or stop implying that somebody has said it.

I don't co-operate with people who use that kind of tone to me.  Ask me politely, and I'll be more than happy to engage you in conversation.

:pop:

hackenslash

What tone? And what has tone got to do with the question? Can you actually cite anybody saying that?
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

Existentialist

You knew perfectly well what I meant by tone.  

Just to let you know hackenslash, I won't be responding to your posts for quite a while, and before I do you will certainly need to demonstrate that you can put an argument to me without using foul language or unsavoury farmyard euphemisms.  Goodbye.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Existentialist"You knew perfectly well what I meant by tone.  

Just to let you know hackenslash, I won't be responding to your posts for quite a while, and before I do you will certainly need to demonstrate that you can put an argument to me without using foul language or unsavoury farmyard euphemisms.  Goodbye.

I already lost my cool and left the argument a long time ago however I never go off on anyone without reason so I have to ask, can you be any more of a snide ass? Hackenslash may be using "foul" language but the condescending, snide comments you make are far more foul than any language he has used.

Davin

Quote from: "hackenslash"
Quote from: "Existentialist"Would you still say that 'absence of theism' is the only possible definition of atheism and that nobody should try and make it mean anything more than that?

You've wheeled out this horseshit several times now. Would you like to point out where anybody said it? I've been back through the thread and I can't find it. Please cite it or stop implying that somebody has said it.
I've said something similar, might even be an accurate representation of a small bit of the sentence, but the intent was to show what the Greek prefix "a, an" meant and not specifically the whole word. It's yet another clear example of Existentialist taking what I said out of context. I really don't understand Existentialist except possibly as a troll, because why else would Existentialist go to great lengths to ignore points, declare victory and accuse others of making things up all while ignoring most of the points that are brought up? Further evidence that leads to my conclusion that Existentialist is a troll is that Existentialist has been using some very condescending language, while never supporting his/her/its definition with anything other than baseless speculation (even admittedly).

Because Existentialist went several posts not addressing most of the points I brought up in my posts and then several where Existentialist hadn't addressed any point in my posts while I had been addressing all of the points in Existentialists posts, I think it's only fair that Existentialist addresses at least some of my points before I respond to any question/request from Existentialist. I think it also pretty obvious that Existentialist had avoided every point brought up hackenslash.

Stevil

FFS - is this argument still going on

Here is one reference http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism
If only Existentialist were less stubborn.

McQ

Existentialist will need to address posts made to him, take care of his own "tone", and clean up his own act, or things won't go well. That much is sure.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Quote from: "Existentialist"You knew perfectly well what I meant by tone.
No he didn't, as you were using it in your own unique interpretation.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Existentialist

Quote from: "Stevil"FFS - is this argument still going on

Here is one reference http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism
If only Existentialist were less stubborn.

Thanks for the new posts Stevil, McQ and Tank.  If it's ok by you I'll address the only one that's on topic, Stevil's.  I am sorry you felt the need to call me stubborn.  I prefer 'consistent'.

The Board index description of the Philosophy Forum says that it is about, "Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods".  This description is music to the ears of someone like me who claims at least part of his view of atheism comes from existentialist thinking.  Sartre in particular was very disdainful of the supposed importance of proofs of the existence of Gods.  Even if this god's or that god's existence could be proved by empirical methods,it would really make little difference to the thinking of the existentialist.  Human beings are autonomous free thinking individuals as long as they are autonomous free thinking individuals.  The problem, therefore, for the existentialist atheist is not the nature of God nor even whether he exists or not - the problem is human beings, and how they define themselves, and what they do.  God is an irrelevance.

Thank you for posting the Dictionary.com definition of the word 'atheism'.  I have referred to it many times in my life in the internet, and have even posted links to it.  It may be I am being a purist nowadays but you can imagine, given the polite disdain (if there is such a thing - I think there probably is) with which I would treat a valid proof of the existence of God, that independent verification of the meaning of the word atheism really has such little status with me that it actually doesn't prove anything of any import.  Not to me anyway, and there really is no point in my posting something which is of no value to me.  Even if it is of value to others, it would seem rather hypocritical of me.

To a self-defined agnostic atheist, however, whose whole philosophical process is based on the importance of evidence as the primary determinant of a principled position on the existence or otherwise of god, I realise that any evidence, even that from a dictionary, would be terribly important.  However, with respect to all of you agnostic atheists out there, it really isn't that important to me, especially in a subforum that eschews empirical evidence anyway.  I recognise that this may be a source of considerable irritation, and I'm sorry about that, but it is my position.  If you'd like to ask me to elaborate on my views please feel free to do so.  I will remain polite and supportive of your right to challenge me civilly about anything I say.