News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Greetings from Nowhere!

Started by maninorange, June 15, 2010, 12:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maninorange

Nowhere is actually a very pleasant place in southwest Missouri, south of Joplin, and not large enough to be on a map.  (sad face)  It seems that places such as this have a higher population of Christian people, so I'm a drowning minority.  I don't know of a single other unfaithful person in the town other than my sister, so I go to the internet to talk about this.  As of late, I've been needing to soak up some more information to talk about it in the real world, as I'll explain.
   I'm pretty sure I've been an atheist my whole life, but I told people I was a Christian to make things easier.  I'm 17 now, and my mom found out just 5 days ago that I don't believe as she does.  She probably should have known when I was 6 years old and asked where God came from and, upon being told that He was always there, asked her how she knew.  Regardless, there is a meeting with our pastor for me in the near future, so I'm rapidly trying to collect pocket-sized copies of the Bible and The Origin of Species and an audio recording device so he can at least find out why it's so hard to convert me.
   I look forward to enriching conversation!

Joseph
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
- Gene Roddenberry

kelltrill

Hi there ^_^ Welcome aboard. There's a creationist in my household so I can at least partially relate to the insanity you're dealing with, as I'm sure most of the people here can. I'm lucky to have one or two atheist friends, and my boyfriend's an atheist. *phew*
Sounds like you've got quite an intense time ahead of you. Stay awesome, you're obviously on the right track and know what you're doing. That pastor isn't going to know what hit him. If you have any questions beforehand or concerns about how to answer some things he might throw at you, if you think it might be that sort of interview, let us know. We'll all be more than willing to help you out ^_^
Good luck, and have fun!
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

elliebean

Hello and welcome, ManinOrange!  :)
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

KebertX

Don't let it get to you. When Theists are all living together, surrounded by fellow believers, they feel more certain in their beliefs. And with this certainty comes vanity.

Vain theists who know they're right have NO problem trying to convert everyone else. They're like zombies, they will mob you with the intention to either destroy you or turn you into one of them.

The only way to avoid it is to closet yourself. When atheists propogate their common sense, many religious people feel that they need to "fix" you. If you aren't certain about atheism, you may find yourself easily converted.

It is a struggle being an atheist in places like Nowhere Missouri. When you know that you are the only one using common sense, and other people still act as if YOU are the ignorant one.  Stay strong.

MOST IMPORTANT: Educate yourself. Make sure you understand Evolution, The Big Bang Theory, and anything that disproves biblical dogma.  You will be questioned about your ignorant rejection of God: make us look intelligent for the Nowherons.  Remember, they are making the claim, burden of proof is on them.
"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.

Tank

Welcome aboard.

Do you need atheist aid packages sending? They contain anti-holy water (Jack Danials) and a copy of The God Delusion, Why Evolution is True and a passport so you can come and live in the UK!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "maninorange"I'm 17 now

Quote from: "Tank"Do you need atheist aid packages sending? They contain anti-holy water (Jack Danials) and a copy of The God Delusion, Why Evolution is True and a passport so you can come and live in the UK!

...and that's when Tank was arrested on 'to catch a predator'...  :)
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Cecilie

Hey. Welcome. Nice to meet you.  :D
The world's what you create.