News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

rightwing forums drove me here

Started by Hakuna, February 06, 2008, 09:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakuna

Hi all
On the political spectrum I tend to be pretty conservative and had been lurking for some time on a Canadian political forum (Free Dominion).  While I can agree on a lot of stuff there, the social conservatives had me totally pissed.  The homophobe, antiabortionist, bible thumping social conservatives are giving financial conservatives a bad name.

Anyway, One brave atheist that practically got railroaded off that site led me to check out the atheist forums.  The first site was a little too serious and was taking the religion beating a little too extreme.  When I found this site I found the attitude much more relaxing and to my liking.

My other interest is in miatas (hence the name) don't make me explain it.

I'll try to jump into and add my 2 cents whenever possible despite my "lurking" nature.

Smarmy Of One

Glad to see another liberal Canuck on the boards. I too was sick of bible beating rednecks that hijack many of the other forums I frequent.

Not everyone here is left leaning though or surprisingly even atheist. But people here, for the most part, seem to be more articulate intelligent than a lot of forumsâ€" whatever their views happen to be.

Welcome aboard.

tacoma_kyle

You know what I learned in chemistry class today?

Balloons were made solely to show the different electron orbital shapes...by god. In a similar way in which our hands were made to grip banana's.

Yep...Meaning not at all. For some reason that crossed my mind in class today lol. If you dont know, I am referring to some dumb-shit god spokesman that claims what I stated about the banana.

So yeah...Hi!
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

rickymooston

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"You know what I learned in chemistry class today?

Balloons were made solely to show the different electron orbital shapes...by god. In a similar way in which our hands were made to grip banana's.

Yep...Meaning not at all. For some reason that crossed my mind in class today lol. If you dont know, I am referring to some dumb-shit god spokesman that claims what I stated about the banana.

So yeah...Hi!

Cool, When I was in university, once a week our chemistry class was at 8:30 in the morning. I hated getting up early. So I missed most those classes.

The teacher tried to encourage people to come to class by doing cool experiments like blowing things up and stuff. While I exagerate but he had fun. I went to 3 very fascinating lectures that year. Sadly, the other lectures were spent dreaming of girls.

That proof was cool. He would tell us point blank he did not care if we had the wrong answer and did something minor wrong.

What he did care was we had some ballpark figure of what a right answer SHOULD be.
He told us, if we had the wrong answer and told the proof, a reasonable estimate using simple estimation techniques, we'd get more marks.

If we calculated the radius of an atom to be say 25,000 km and said nothing tho, ..,, we would fail.

He had cool stories about life as a grad student. He had some easy chemical reaction that would make better steel (forgot details). Anyway, he presented his idea to a guy working there.

Very nice said the guy, do you have any idea who volumes we are talking about and how much that would cost?

I thought that was cool. A prof who'se head was not in the clouds.

Orbits are cool.

tacoma_kyle

Yeah I was kinda hoping the balloons were filled with H2 yet to be ignited...but it wasnt so.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

rickymooston

Quote from: "Hakuna"Hi all
On the political spectrum I tend to be pretty conservative and had been lurking for some time on a Canadian political forum (Free Dominion).  While I can agree on a lot of stuff there, the social conservatives had me totally pissed.  The homophobe, antiabortionist, bible thumping social conservatives are giving financial conservatives a bad name.

Anyway, One brave atheist that practically got railroaded off that site led me to check out the atheist forums.  The first site was a little too serious and was taking the religion beating a little too extreme.  When I found this site I found the attitude much more relaxing and to my liking.

I'll try to jump into and add my 2 cents whenever possible despite my "lurking" nature.

Welcome here. I'm refugees from a forum that appeared to be a safe haven for the great people from another atheist forum. However, I got banned. Funny thing is most people seemed to disagree with that. Sort of atheist right wing thinking.

My friends brought me here. They are nice.

In Canada? Amazing?

Alberta or rural Ontario?

The rest of Canada is pretty left swinging? Some left wing religious people in praries outside alberta perhaps but Canada is not very right wing over all.

Still some try. They wish they had a voice like in USA. We have talk tadio tho and they
do seem to rule that.

McQ

Welcome to the forum. I don't think of this forum as a political one per se, but we discuss all kinds of things. Have fun!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

McQ

Quote from: "rickymooston"
Quote from: "Hakuna"Hi all

Welcome here. I'm refugees from a forum that appeared to be a safe haven for the great people from another atheist forum. However, I got banned. Funny thing is most people seemed to disagree with that. Sort of atheist right wing thinking.

In Canada? Amazing?

The rest of Canada is pretty left swinging? Some left wing religious people in praries outside alberta perhaps but Canada is not very right wing over all.

Still some try. They wish they had a voice like in USA. We have talk tadio tho and they
do seem to rule that.

And welcome to you as well, ricky. So....why were you banned from the other forum?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

SteveS

Hi Hakuna - welcome on board!

Quote from: "Hakuna"The homophobe, antiabortionist, bible thumping social conservatives are giving financial conservatives a bad name.
Sigh....  ain't it the truth, though?  I feel much the same way.  Cheers!

Hakuna

Quote from: "rickymooston"Welcome here. I'm refugees from a forum that appeared to be a safe haven for the great people from another atheist forum. However, I got banned. Funny thing is most people seemed to disagree with that. Sort of atheist right wing thinking.

In Canada? Amazing?

do seem to rule that.

Hi Ricky
I was born near Toronto but have spent the last 30 years in Calgary.
The conservatives rule out here but I think they aren't managing the way they should.  I  lurk on both the right and left wing sites.  The liberals blow me away because they won't tolerate any dissenting opinions and bannish people with little warning.  The conservatives tend to "play" with them a bit and bully them away rather than outright banning.  Most of the conservatives that are not social conservatives (like me) would be branded "Red Tories".
Unfortunately, the majority of Canadians seem to be the "cradle to grave social assistance" types that favor the liberals whereas I'm more the "hand up" rather than "hand out" type.

Anyone up for debate?
I suppose I should move it to the proper area.

Hakuna