News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

Losing a beloved pet is sad. Sorry for your loss, Icarus.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

Sincerest thanks to all of you for your compassion.

I will survive but will never ever forget my dedicated canine friends.  There have been many of them over my many years.  I am grief stricken every time I lose one.   I am not supposed to react this way because of the loss of a "mere animal".  My canine companions have been far more than mere animals.

Thank you all.

Bluenose

Anyone who says you should not react that way over a "mere animal" needs to take a good hard look at themselves.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: Bluenose on March 16, 2019, 08:33:17 AM
Anyone who says you should not react that way over a "mere animal" needs to take a good hard look at themselves.

Seconded!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Icarus on March 14, 2019, 11:33:26 PM
Today was a a painfully bad day for me and my wife Elaine.  Our beloved little Austrailian Shepherd had come to the end of his 18 year life.  He was in great pain and had become immobile. We had to do what we had to do this morning.  He died peacefully with an overload of anasthetic before the fatal injection.  I am writing this with tears, a flood of tears, in my eyes because I loved him dearly and he returned that deep affection many times over.  I desperately want to believe in the Rainbow Bridge but I know that it is not really there.

I'm so sorry Icarus, I know how terribly painful this is.  How lucky he was tho, to have such a long, happy life with you.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Icarus on March 16, 2019, 12:51:37 AM
Sincerest thanks to all of you for your compassion.

I will survive but will never ever forget my dedicated canine friends.  There have been many of them over my many years.  I am grief stricken every time I lose one.   I am not supposed to react this way because of the loss of a "mere animal".  My canine companions have been far more than mere animals.

Thank you all.

Very sorry for your loss.

xSilverPhinx

...I am not supposed to react this way because of the loss of a "mere animal"...

Says who? Of course it's totally normal for anyone to be grief-stricken at the loss of a pet. We form strong and lasting emotional attachments and treat them as family. They are not "mere animals".
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

My daughter got some pink unicorn slippers last week, I warned her they may become invisible and be impossible to find.
Now she's walking around, calling out where are my slippers?  I told her so.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 19, 2019, 08:41:52 AM
My daughter got some pink unicorn slippers last week, I warned her they may become invisible and be impossible to find.
Now she's walking around, calling out where are my slippers?  I told her so.

:rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

;D Tell her that they are inside her camouflage style socks.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 17, 2019, 11:17:26 PM
...I am not supposed to react this way because of the loss of a "mere animal"...

Says who? Of course it's totally normal for anyone to be grief-stricken at the loss of a pet. We form strong and lasting emotional attachments and treat them as family. They are not "mere animals".

Alternatively, we're nothing but "mere animals" ourselves and what difference does it make whether someone we love has four legs or two? 
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 20, 2019, 09:28:57 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 17, 2019, 11:17:26 PM

Alternatively, we're nothing but "mere animals" ourselves and what difference does it make whether someone we love has four legs or two?

Yes, that is true.

Icarus, don't let anyone lessen your feelings for your beloved pet. Mine had to be euthanised last year and to this day I have a gaping hole in my heart. If anyone came to me and told me that I was weak for feeling that way I would've told them to shove their head up their ass.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 20, 2019, 10:54:45 PM
Icarus, don't let anyone lessen your feelings for your beloved pet. Mine had to be euthanised last year and to this day I have a gaping hole in my heart.

This.  I'm still mourning DeeDee, who died three years ago.  We were together some thirteen years and if I believed in souls, I'd say we were soul mates. 
Sandy

Magdalena

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 21, 2019, 02:06:36 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 20, 2019, 10:54:45 PM
Icarus, don't let anyone lessen your feelings for your beloved pet. Mine had to be euthanised last year and to this day I have a gaping hole in my heart.

This.  I'm still mourning DeeDee, who died three years ago.  We were together some thirteen years and if I believed in souls, I'd say we were soul mates.
Awwwww... :tellmemore:
What a sweet thing to say!  :hanky:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx