News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Science fiction

Started by Dave, April 07, 2018, 09:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I have just been for a pee, after almost breaking both legs for over 30 minutes.

Why? I was listening to the "Archive on 4" on BBC. It was about the making of "2001: A Space Odyssey", the influences on it and its influence on those who watched it and could not bear to miss any of it. Certainly it was almist a cult movie for my group of friends in the RAF, we spent a fortune going to London to a very early public performance. The opening theme from "Also Spracht also Zarathustra" still evokes strong emotion and memory in me.

Anyway, if there are any other fans of this film out there the link is

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09y6wg3

Blimey, was it really 50 years ago . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on April 07, 2018, 09:16:30 PM
I have just been for a pee, after almost breaking both legs for over 30 minutes.

Why? I was listening to the "Archive on 4" on BBC. It was about the making of "2001: A Space Odyssey", the influences on it and its influence on those who watched it and could not bear to miss any of it. Certainly it was almist a cult movie for my group of friends in the RAF, we spent a fortune going to London to a very early public performance. The opening theme from "Also Spracht also Zarathustra" still evokes strong emotion and memory in me.

Thanks, Dave. Did they mention whether it was just chance that HAL were the letters in the alphabet just before IBM?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

No one

Bluenose

Oh YES, YES, YES!!!

My absolute favourite movie of all time, I've seen it about 7 times in Cinerama, I don't know how many times in ordinary 70 mm and countless times on video, DVD and Blu-ray. It is a testament to Stanley Kubric that the tech still looks good even 50 years after it was first released.  (My FSM, is it really 50 years?)
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 08, 2018, 04:36:16 AM
Quote from: Dave on April 07, 2018, 09:16:30 PM

Thanks, Dave. Did they mention whether it was just chance that HAL were the letters in the alphabet just before IBM?

Yup! They had to dance carefully round that after they decided HAL would go rouge! IMB were previously happy to be associated with the film and have thier logo used.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74