News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Forums

Started by Lark, April 16, 2019, 12:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lark

Apparently forums , such as this one, are losing their appeal in favour of Facebook, Twitter etc  and forum membership is small. Do you think this is a generation thing or maybe forums are more complicated .... finding right spot for an entry rather than just putting it in ? I have no idea, just interested to see what others think.

Tank

It's a good question. I find this format more conducive to detailed debate. But I spend time on Facebook on more flippant stuff.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I think forums, especially small forums, have been losing space to larger platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and such, though I'm not sure as to why exactly that is happening. There are pros and cons to each, and maybe the pros tilt in favour of large social media platforms these days for most people.

Speaking for myself, I prefer this little forum and its small community to Facebook. I only joined FB to keep up with friends, some family and other social groups of interest, not because I feel the need to broadcast a positive self-image to other people, like many people do it seems. Facebook has become a place where a lot of people who are not well broadcast to the world they are living the dream life. It's a weird phenomenon. 

While I don't post there, there are large forums such as Reddit that seem alive and well, though.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

How old is facebook? 15? A teenager. I'm still not sure what to do with it.  :worried:

Some people there inform me about world events. I like that. Others, it seems as if the more likes they get, the more skin they show, eventually they end up showing their boobs and thong.  :fingertap:

Most show pictures of what they're up to, places they go, what they eat, things they like, etc.
--Some like to show their versatility:

:picard facepalm:

I prefer the forum.  :tellmemore:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

I quit Facebook.  Too much crap and nastiness.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 16, 2019, 10:00:53 PM

Yeah, I'm almost there as well.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 16, 2019, 10:55:59 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 16, 2019, 10:00:53 PM

Yeah, I'm almost there as well.
I cut back my friends list and then set their statuses so I only saw what I needed to. But I did keep a couple fully open so I could with their theistic friends :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Facebook seems very limited, just continual linear comments.

Forums are a much better organised ... forum I think, with their sub forums and many threads.
I have spent very little time on facebook though, maybe I'm missing something.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.