News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Other forums

Started by Dave, July 25, 2018, 06:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Tank mentioned another forum. Anyone got suggestions to offer?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

:grin: ;)

I don't participate in other forums, long ago I created accounts here and there, but keeping track of them all is just too time-consuming. :lol: What kind of forums are you looking for? Have you tried googling other options?

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

My Sea Kayaking forum died  :'( http://www.seakayakforum.com/

I sometimes post on Ozbargain, I'm always watching for a bargain though.

I've posted a bit on a beer making forum, in a John Snow sought of way.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

But, but . . . I only want to be friendly, I'll stay faithful to HAF - honest!

Yeah, did have a look round. I know "The Thinking Atheist" ("Thinking" is a bit of a misnomer - "The Swearing and Insulting Atheist" might be more accurate for most of its inmates). You mostly got ignored trying to start intellectual debate.

Have no experience of "The Atheist Republic" but have heard some less than good things about it. I suppose I should have asked for recommendations based on experience.

There is "The Thinking Humanist" but it is a bit of a one man band and there is one person there I had a great difficulty not being insulting to. If there is a "Well Right of Thatcher Humanist" category he is in it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on July 26, 2018, 02:51:53 PM

That's OK, steal what they have worth stealing and bring it home.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

I was using 'forum' in a general sense. I meant Facebook.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on July 26, 2018, 05:08:35 PM
I was using 'forum' in a general sense. I meant Facebook.

Ah. I suppose I should look more into that but how do you stop being bombarded with pages of potential "friends" 99% of whom don't bother to respond? I got sick of fighting through the dross to find anything that glistered.

Fb was a good idea but . . .

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on July 26, 2018, 02:51:53 PM

Just remember we'll be keeping an eye on your shirt collars from now on.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

No one

There are other forums?

Harmonie

Quote from: Dave on July 26, 2018, 02:51:53 PMYeah, did have a look round. I know "The Thinking Atheist" ("Thinking" is a bit of a misnomer - "The Swearing and Insulting Atheist" might be more accurate for most of its inmates). You mostly got ignored trying to start intellectual debate.

"The Thinking Atheist"... Like Seth Andrews' podcast? Please tell me this forum unrelated because I thought he was pretty cool and laid back. Definitely one of the YouTube atheists I am happier to listen to.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Dave

Quote from: Harmonie on July 27, 2018, 12:47:15 AM
Quote from: Dave on July 26, 2018, 02:51:53 PMYeah, did have a look round. I know "The Thinking Atheist" ("Thinking" is a bit of a misnomer - "The Swearing and Insulting Atheist" might be more accurate for most of its inmates). You mostly got ignored trying to start intellectual debate.

"The Thinking Atheist"... Like Seth Andrews' podcast? Please tell me this forum unrelated because I thought he was pretty cool and laid back. Definitely one of the YouTube atheists I am happier to listen to.

I think Seth Andrews is OK, but I found many of the members of his forum were pretty objectionable. Nothing against swearing for effect but not gratuitous or every third word just to show off. Some of the members would not last two posts here before being banned. But, I admit, it had a lot of members so that kind of behaviour is obviously popular.

Had a few rabid gun owners who got verbally aggressive at any criticism of America's gun laws. But verbal aggression was common anyway. I am probably only remembering the bits that annoyed me and there were some great people there, just certain ones tended to dominate the more interesting threads and their defence of their opinion was more by "shouting" louder than offering cogent reasoning.

Icarus

Does it count as another forum if it is not in the slightest way connected to religion, atheism, Buddha, or whatever.

I am a long time member of only one other forum.  It is; Boat Design.net forum that has thousands of members from all over the world.  Not unlike HAF we have some brilliant people who are impressively generous toward newbies and  wannabes.  There are thousands of members and it is not uncommon to have as many as 200 logged on.   I do have some credentials there and a few attaboys for which I am grateful.  Our moderators are ever vigilant and they are  not inclined to put up with any shit from trolls, imposters, or trouble makers of any stripe.  Ad Hominem will get the thread trashed in a New York minute.   We respect each other even if we disagree.  Kinda like HAF  I think.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on July 28, 2018, 05:45:00 AM
Does it count as another forum if it is not in the slightest way connected to religion, atheism, Buddha, or whatever.

I am a long time member of only one other forum.  It is; Boat Design.net forum that has thousands of members from all over the world.  Not unlike HAF we have some brilliant people who are impressively generous toward newbies and  wannabes.  There are thousands of members and it is not uncommon to have as many as 200 logged on.   I do have some credentials there and a few attaboys for which I am grateful.  Our moderators are ever vigilant and they are  not inclined to put up with any shit from trolls, imposters, or trouble makers of any stripe.  Ad Hominem will get the thread trashed in a New York minute.   We respect each other even if we disagree.  Kinda like HAF  I think.

Uh, I was thinking of more "philosophical" debate type forums - but preferably not overtly theist ones (I might be the one who gets insulting there  :grin:)

How long is a "New York minute", must be shorter than a "Just a minute, sir".

Velma

There are some atheist Facebook groups that I belong to. I rarely post, but they are decent sources of news and some laughs. I do belong to some other forums, but I've not visited most of them in ages. HAF is the only one I post on.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dark Lightning

I'm with you, Dave. I quit TTA many months ago. It gets so heavy if one doesn't go with the group think, it's just unbelievable.