News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

All things brain...

Started by Claireliontamer, July 12, 2017, 08:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on December 31, 2017, 07:57:36 AM
One young lad could hear a piece of music once, play it "straight" immediately then play any number of variations - straight out of his head.

Mozart could do it as child.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Icarus on December 30, 2017, 11:07:41 PM
NPR (National Public Radio) today had an interview with a most interesting man who had some sort of brain damage as a youth.  He had never been musically inclined and had no particular interest in music although his grandmother was an accomplished organist.  He had a swimming pool accident...diving into the shallow end of the pool and busting his head severely.  After a few weeks of recovery, he found that he could play the piano and play classical music without knowing how or why he could do so. He became a music savant. apparently as a result of a head injury.

Has anyone ever heard of similar phenomena as applied to brain function?  Is there a mutant musical gene, math gene, writing gene,  or something?

It'd be interesting to know if he lost anything when his head hit pool bottom.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 31, 2017, 02:06:46 PM
Quote from: Icarus on December 30, 2017, 11:07:41 PM
NPR (National Public Radio) today had an interview with a most interesting man who had some sort of brain damage as a youth.  He had never been musically inclined and had no particular interest in music although his grandmother was an accomplished organist.  He had a swimming pool accident...diving into the shallow end of the pool and busting his head severely.  After a few weeks of recovery, he found that he could play the piano and play classical music without knowing how or why he could do so. He became a music savant. apparently as a result of a head injury.

Has anyone ever heard of similar phenomena as applied to brain function?  Is there a mutant musical gene, math gene, writing gene,  or something?

It'd be interesting to know if he lost anything when his head hit pool bottom.

Yeah, probably "deactivated" or lessened the brain activity of a particular region for a savant ability to suddenly appear.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

This is a strange area, like the woman who, after a head injury, spoke with what sounded like an Italian accent. Seems it is a recognised syndrome.
https://youtu.be/RbYXXyMb8I0

Watching her face it was obviously still a painful mrmory.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

^ That is very odd indeed.

Must mess with her sense of identity, it must be tough being seen as an outsider/foreigner in your own country. 

joeactor

Quote from: Dave on December 31, 2017, 09:56:33 PM
This is a strange area, like the woman who, after a head injury, spoke with what sounded like an Italian accent. Seems it is a recognised syndrome.
https://youtu.be/RbYXXyMb8I0

Watching her face it was obviously still a painful mrmory.

Wow. It looks difficult to say the least.

I can hear a number of different accents in her speech. Her brain must be producing different vowel/consonant sounds than she intends.

Dave

xSilverPhinx

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 24, 2018, 05:33:51 PM
^ Bookmarked for later. :popcorn:

How long is your bookmark backlog now then, Silver?  :news:

:grin:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on January 24, 2018, 06:22:18 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 24, 2018, 05:33:51 PM
^ Bookmarked for later. :popcorn:

How long is your bookmark backlog now then, Silver?  :news:

:grin:

Just the bookmark backlog? Too long! :P That's not counting the videos I added to my "Watch Later" playlist on Youtube or my reading list! 

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

A list of short "Your brain on ___________" series.

Davin

I watched those last night, I think they were great.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I found this PBS Nova documentary on Memory:

Before watching it, maybe think a little and try to answer the question, "What is memory?":grin: I think you'll find that the answer isn't as simple as the question!

Dave

This is an oldish (as things brain go) Ted talk, but I found it interesting. There msy be hope for me yet . . .

https://youtu.be/LNHBMFCzznE