News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

who is your favorite philosopher?

Started by jduster, September 18, 2010, 05:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jduster

my choice is socrates.  the poll limit is 10 so i wasnt able to include as many choices as i wanted to.

Sophus

Nietzsche. Hands down. Love him, love him, love him!  :yay:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Mistermischief

Ayn Rand...and I find it incredible that you didn't list her on your list.

tymygy

Quote from: "Sophus"Nietzsche. Hands down. Love him, love him, love him!  :bananacolor:  :bananacolor:  :bananacolor:
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

AreEl

Quote from: "Mistermischief"Ayn Rand...and I find it incredible that you didn't list her on your list.

Ditto for me, Ayn Rand. I also find it incredible that an atheist would not list Rand.
''I believe in God...it's his ground crew I have a problem with!''  -a former coworker

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

jduster

realize i only had ten options, so i couldn't include rand.  even if i had 25 options, i could have found 15 philosophers more significant and historical than her.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Asmodean"Mick Jagger.  :pop:

I look inside myself and see my heart is black
I see my red door and it has been painted black
Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts
It's not easy facin' up when your whole world is black

Wadin' through the waste stormy winter,
And there's not a friend to help you through.
Tryin' to stop the waves behind your eyeballs,
Drop your reds, drop your greens and blues.

Bleakness you can tap your foot to, that's philosophisen.

What happens when the existentialists see no Satre on the list?
There's gonna be trouble.

PoopShoot

Philosophy is mental masturbation and Rand was a hypocrite, a liar and a moron.  None of the above, thanks.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Roganthis72

I voted other as you don't have me listed on there. (not even a joke, I'm in one of my rare, serious posting moods this morning)  I don't need some old guy sitting around talking with some other old guy to tell me how to live my life thank you.

Quote from: "Asmodean"Mick Jagger. :headbang:

AS for you Raynd fans, how?  she was preachy to a fault, so much so that a large portion of her books weren't even in situ, but just here explaining her philosophys and why everyone else is a moron for thinking other wise.  I'll assume you've heard of the game BIOSHOCK?  THe hellish Dystopian City that the game presents is based off of the philosophys of "Atlas Shrugged" and "the Fountainhead" and the main villan in the game is actually an allegory for Ayn Raynd herself.  She is a horrible person, and her ideas go too far for my tastes.
BBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Asmodean

Quote from: "Roganthis72"
Quote from: "Asmodean"Mick Jagger. :headbang:
You know, I only like the series because Greg House reminds me of me to such a degree that it's fun.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

notself

The philosophy of Siddhattha Gotama appeals to me.  The following is from the Dhammapada

1. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.

2. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow...

5. Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal.

6. There are those who do not realize that one day we all must die. But those who do realize this settle their quarrels...

145. Irrigators regulate the waters, fletchers straighten arrow shafts, carpenters shape wood, and the good control themselves.

McQ

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

humblesmurph

Quote from: "PoopShoot"Philosophy is mental masturbation and Rand was a hypocrite, a liar and a moron.  None of the above, thanks.

Why are you so hard on philosophy?  Wouldn't it be more correct to refer to it as mental calisthenics?

It seems to me that philosophy has been integral to the forming of society.  Aren't the laws we obey shaped in large part by philosophy?

Will

I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.