News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Latino or Hispanic?

Started by Biggus Dickus, February 17, 2016, 08:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Hey Gringos!

Ever wonder what the difference was between someone who identifies as either Latino or Hispanic?

...Or maybe you didn't realize there is a difference between the two?

Well than, the following Public Service Announcement is for you!

I'm Latino. I'm Hispanic. And they're different, so I drew a comic to explain.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Crow

Ahh fuck that noise. He's American and nobody cares if his mum's Mexican.

"I'm Italian" - No you're not you are American.
"I'm Irish" - No you're not you are American.
"I'm African" - No you're not you are American.
"I'm Polish" - No you're not you are American.
"I'm German" - No you're not you are American.
"I'm Indian" - No you're not you are American.
"I'm American" - Oh so your ancestors were English.

That might be my biggest bugbear. But thank you for your post Bruno, my irritated tapping wasn't aimed your direction.
Retired member.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Human,  it's the only race of people I am aware of.  However, there are two distinct kinds of people.  Cool ones,  and assholes.  Simple

Ecurb Noselrub

But what about Chicano?

In my high school, a black football player came up with Beans (Hispanics, brown, frijoles), Buttermilks (white, plain), and Bullets (blacks, fast, deadly).  I thought that was original.   

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: Crow on February 18, 2016, 12:00:46 AM
Ahh fuck that noise. He's American and nobody cares if his mum's Mexican.

"I'm Italian" - No you're not you are American. - No, you are not. Unless of course you are a permanent resident of The United States.
"I'm Irish" - No you're not you are American. - No, you are not. Unless of course you are a permanent resident of The United States.
"I'm African" - No you're not you are American. - No, you are not. Unless of course you are a permanent resident of The United States.
"I'm Polish" - No you're not you are American. - No, you are not. Unless of course you are a permanent resident of The United States.
"I'm German" - No you're not you are American. - No, you are not. Unless of course you are a permanent resident of The United States.
"I'm Indian" - No you're not you are American. - No, you are not. Unless of course you are a permanent resident of The United States.
"I'm American" - Oh so your ancestors were English. - Unless they were from somewhere else, like, say, Mexico or North Korea.

That might be my biggest bugbear. But thank you for your post Bruno, my irritated tapping wasn't aimed your direction.
FYP :-)

Recusant

Taken in the most well-meaning light, that comic fails to address the fact that there are people who strenuously object to being called "Hispanic," even if it's correct, according to Mr. Blas (he needs to tell Merriam-Webster they don't know what they're talking about: "of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and Portugal").
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Crow

Retired member.

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: No one on February 18, 2016, 03:33:41 AM
Human,  it's the only race of people I am aware of.  However, there are two distinct kinds of people.  Cool ones,  and assholes.  Simple
Human is an umbrella term. I think the race you are refering to is Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

Personally, I differentiate between a lot more than cool H. Sapiens Sapienses and assholes, but then I have a distaste for broad generalizations except where obviously applicable (That is, not relating to philosophical constructs such as "coolness") And if that makes me an asshole, well, that's not my problem.

Biggus Dickus

Wether one identifies as Latino or Hispanic has nothing to do with whether they are American or not (Whether by birth or naturalization). You can be Latino and live in Canada, or England or even Botswana for that matter.

Here in the US you hear these two terms used quite frequently (Interchangebly) especially now with the Presidential election going on. For example you might hear that Ted Cruz is vying for the Latino vote among voters in Florida, even though Jeb Bush was the former Governor there,... or that Marco Rubio is expected to pole well with Hispanic voters in the southeast.

My wife is the one that actually sent me the link that I posted at the beginning of this thread (She has been discussing this issue of Latino/Hispanic lately, especially with regards to negative views of immigrants who identify as such).

She refers to herself most often as being Latino, because she was born in Honduras, but she is of course also Hispanic because she speaks Spanish (She is an American citizen by Naturalization).

Her family who all live in Honduras also refer to themselves as Latinos. Our daughter also identifies herself as Latino and Hispanic because she was born in Honduras, and speaks Spanish (She is American citizen as well)
Our son also identifies himself as Latino (When I discuss this with him briefly last night he said he prefers the term Militant Latino, because he is a strong advocate for immigrant rights, and fights against discrimination) However, he doesn't identify as Hispanic because he doesn't really speak Spanish.

These distinctions matter for them a lot, especially when you have someone like Trump making horrible, disgusting comments about murdering, raping immigrants coming from Mexico (Latinos)...and he is currently the front runner for the GOP.

Another point is this also has nothing to do with race or ethnicity.

Quote from: Recusant on February 18, 2016, 09:54:46 AM
Taken in the most well-meaning light, that comic fails to address the fact that there are people who strenuously object to being called "Hispanic," even if it's correct, according to Mr. Blas (he needs to tell Merriam-Webster they don't know what they're talking about: "of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and Portugal").

Very true, there are some who do not like being referred to as Latino. Some well known actors, writers and athletes come to mind, who for example don't like being referred to as "A Latino Baseball" player.

When my son played soccer in High School the front line of his team referred to themselves sometimes as the "Latino Front" because they were all of Latin heritage.

Quote from: Magdalena on February 18, 2016, 03:28:27 AM

You might want to keep the door closed Mags, and sorry for bringing this thread up.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Crow

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on February 18, 2016, 02:07:04 PM
Wether one identifies as Latino or Hispanic has nothing to do with whether they are American or not (Whether by birth or naturalization). You can be Latino and live in Canada, or England or even Botswana for that matter.

Here in the US you hear these two terms used quite frequently (Interchangebly) especially now with the Presidential election going on. For example you might hear that Ted Cruz is vying for the Latino vote among voters in Florida, even though Jeb Bush was the former Governor there,... or that Marco Rubio is expected to pole well with Hispanic voters in the southeast.

My wife is the one that actually sent me the link that I posted at the beginning of this thread (She has been discussing this issue of Latino/Hispanic lately, especially with regards to negative views of immigrants who identify as such).

She refers to herself most often as being Latino, because she was born in Honduras, but she is of course also Hispanic because she speaks Spanish (She is an American citizen by Naturalization).

Her family who all live in Honduras also refer to themselves as Latinos. Our daughter also identifies herself as Latino and Hispanic because she was born in Honduras, and speaks Spanish (She is American citizen as well)
Our son also identifies himself as Latino (When I discuss this with him briefly last night he said he prefers the term Militant Latino, because he is a strong advocate for immigrant rights, and fights against discrimination) However, he doesn't identify as Hispanic because he doesn't really speak Spanish.

These distinctions matter for them a lot, especially when you have someone like Trump making horrible, disgusting comments about murdering, raping immigrants coming from Mexico (Latinos)...and he is currently the front runner for the GOP.

Another point is this also has nothing to do with race or ethnicity.

My problem isn't whether people have cultural pride but rather using that as a method of creating a self imposed form of cultural segregation in a country where people are all mongrel (like pretty much every other country unless you happen to be inbred) and all have a shared heritage of a diverse cultural background. The self identification to such groups often seems they like the idea of belong to one group or another when in reality they have little real ties to a country beyond a parent, a holiday or a few summers living with relatives.

Not only is it a self imposed form of segregation it is used by individuals such as Trump as an us verses them attitude, he comes with his self-righteous pomp about being an American and uses such terms to segregate them from other Americans whilst failing to identify that is what makes them American just like everybody else.

Maybe it is just a cultural distaste on my part. Throughout my life I have known many people who have a recent heritage from other nations such as China, Pakistan, India, Spain, France, Africa nations, various Caribbean islands and many others they always associate with being English and find it offensive in the most part when heritage is brought up though they will be proud of it. The only exceptions I see more frequent than any others would be Pakistani and Irish. Usually it is similar to how Scissorlegs brings up his French/American background from time to time, he is English and nobody really cares about the other stuff beyond small talk.
Retired member.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

This is what this conversation looks like from my angle.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on February 18, 2016, 06:02:12 PM

This is what this conversation looks like from my angle.

You mean from a broomstick?  Bruja!

Crow

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 18, 2016, 11:51:17 PM
You mean from a broomstick?  Bruja!

Careful Mags and Bruno are up to something.

Retired member.