News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No one

What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Velma

Quote from: Fireball on September 10, 2018, 03:51:22 AM
Quote from: Velma on September 09, 2018, 07:15:38 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on September 09, 2018, 04:03:42 PM
Quote from: No one on September 09, 2018, 09:56:42 AM
Asshat drivers who are not aware that their neck works both ways!
Maybe it doesn't. Still, I agree. People who insist on ignoring their blind spots cost people who don't their doors and mirrors.
True...as do people who refuse to use their indicator lights. I was nearly hit yesterday by someone who didn't. I needed to switch lanes so I signaled, looked, didn't see anyone in the way or indicating that they were about to move into that lane, so I started moving over - as did the BMW that I had seen, but had not shown any indication that he was thinking of switching lanes. It is a good thing I was was paying attention!

He has a BMW. He doesn't have to pay attention to what the common folk are doing. :point&giggle: They have to pay attention to what he is doing. Could have been a woman driving it; they are all equally entitled.
It does seem that drivers of luxury cars are less able to politely share the road. Their driving does seem to be a big :f you:
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dave

Quote from: Velma on September 10, 2018, 07:23:51 AM
Maybe it doesn't. Still, I agree. People who insist on ignoring their blind spots cost people who don't their doors and mirrors.
True...as do people who refuse to use their indicator lights. I was nearly hit yesterday by someone who didn't. I needed to switch lanes so I signaled, looked, didn't see anyone in the way or indicating that they were about to move into that lane, so I started moving over - as did the BMW that I had seen, but had not shown any indication that he was thinking of switching lanes. It is a good thing I was was paying attention!

He has a BMW. He doesn't have to pay attention to what the common folk are doing. :point&giggle: They have to pay attention to what he is doing. Could have been a woman driving it; they are all equally entitled.
It does seem that drivers of luxury cars are less able to politely share the road. Their driving does seem to be a big :f you:

And the shitheads can't park properly either!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Buddy

Quote from: Dave on September 10, 2018, 07:28:46 AM

If my car is between the lines, I'd count that as okay parking
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dave

Quote from: Buddy on September 10, 2018, 02:29:45 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 10, 2018, 07:28:46 AM

If my car is between the lines, I'd count that as okay parking
Yip, mostly it is - providing both you and your passengers can get out without the doors hitting adjacent cars! Or risking those adjcent car foors putting dints in your paintwork.

Its the 4x4s withh bull bars that park at an angle, effectively taking up two spaces in a busy store car park. Not quite so bad if they are working vehicles  but most of them do little more than take the kids to school and pick up the groceries. And act as an advert as to the shitheadness of their owners when parked inconsiderately.

The other category is the young up-and-coming business person or senior manager type in their BMW that thinks the "Disabled Only Parking" sign does not apply to them - unless it also includes "Socially Disabled" of course.

We have a few of them on my road.

Guardian85

That's why I miss my old ambulance. It looked just like a regular van, but was tuned and kitted out to where it could surprise a lot of people.
Loved it when I was out and about and the typical yuppie kids in daddy's BMW were out for fun. Of course they had to overtake the stupid working class van.

Imagine the look in their faces when the lowly van not just kept up with them, but pulled away.  ;D 

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

I feel like I shouldn't rip on BMWs as much as I do because I drive a BMW Liteā„¢, they just make it so easy.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dave

Quote from: Guardian85 on September 10, 2018, 04:15:19 PM
That's why I miss my old ambulance. It looked just like a regular van, but was tuned and kitted out to where it could surprise a lot of people.
Loved it when I was out and about and the typical yuppie kids in daddy's BMW were out for fun. Of course they had to overtake the stupid working class van.

Imagine the look in their faces when the lowly van not just kept up with them, but pulled away.  ;D

Yeah, you have to be wary of some vsns.

Decades ago a friend was coming back from ftom a racing car show in London, he claims doing over 100mph on the motorway in his supertuned 1250 Mini Cooper S (the real thing, not one of these foreign jobs . . .) when this long wheelbase van overtakes him. He gives chase . . .

He lost it but stopping in a service station spotted the van, grabbed a quick coffee and waited for the driver to return. Three people came back to the van and he had a word with them. After they stopped laughing at his complaint about being overtaken they opened the bonnet - to reveal a 7ltr Ford V8 engine instead of the standard 3ltr V6 in that model! In the back was one of the cars from the show. They ran a company making and modifying racing specials.

Dark Lightning

Had a regular checkup today. Developed some spots during the night. Four spider bites!  :-[ I'll have to spray poison on the webs before I sweep the webs off the coach lights on either side of the garage door...or kill them with fire! :lynch:

Buddy

Quote from: Fireball on September 10, 2018, 06:57:57 PM
Had a regular checkup today. Developed some spots during the night. Four spider bites!  :-[ I'll have to spray poison on the webs before I sweep the webs off the coach lights on either side of the garage door...or kill them with fire! :lynch:

That's horrifying.

jumbojak

In my experience, poison on the webs is innefective. They don't absorb it through their feet. Brake cleaner, chlorinated if you can get it, pretty much means instant death if you score a direct hit. Wasps fall silently from the air without any of the death throes actual wasp spray causes.

The chlorinated cleaner makes an excellent stain remover too. Apparently it's pretty close to what dry cleaners use on garments. Dries quickly without leaving a residue either.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

Quote from: jumbojak on September 10, 2018, 10:14:19 PM

In my experience, poison on the webs is innefective. They don't absorb it through their feet. Brake cleaner, chlorinated if you can get it, pretty much means instant death if you score a direct hit. Wasps fall silently from the air without any of the death throes actual wasp spray causes.

The chlorinated cleaner makes an excellent stain remover too. Apparently it's pretty close to what dry cleaners use on garments. Dries quickly without leaving a residue either.

Good idea! Brake cleaner would work, for sure. I'll try some on an area that won't show on the roll up door or the wall where the webs are. I usually just use whatever color spray paint I have handy, but I don't want weird ass graffiti on there. I used to find spiders all the time when I worked as a mechanic (mostly black widows, :o here in sunny southern California), and always had paint for painting parts during the replacement thereof.  I used to be able to buy some wasp and hornet killer that, when the nest was sprayed, they just dropped straight to the ground and didn't even twitch. Can't get that anymore, it would seem.

Best black widow spider story ever, from when I was about 10. Dad discovered one in a box of nuts and bolts, and broke out the "Flit Gun"- a pump sprayer made by Black Flag. I vaguely recall that the poison was either nicotine or nicotenic acid (Vitamin B-6). He sprayed the thing; it stopped, wiped itself off and began walking away. That's when it got the boot; animal to vegetable right there- it ended up, squash:P Ever since, it has been paint or carb cleaner for a quick kill. Since I mostly worked on Chevrolets, they generally became "Orange Widows", after the moly orange that Chevrolet engines were painted, back in the day.

jumbojak

If you're in lovely California then your selection of toxic chemicals is a bit more limited. They stop shipments of the good chlorinated brake cleaner at the border. 3N high power - mostly acetone and benzene - works fairly well but DO NOT use it on bell hornets if you're unlucky enough to have those evil bastards where you live. Hit them and they just get maaaaaaad... On bad one land on my crotch a few weeks ago. My heart stopped for the duration of its visit.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Bluenose

Quote from: jumbojak on September 11, 2018, 01:37:05 AM
If you're in lovely California then your selection of toxic chemicals is a bit more limited. They stop shipments of the good chlorinated brake cleaner at the border. 3N high power - mostly acetone and benzene - works fairly well but DO NOT use it on bell hornets if you're unlucky enough to have those evil bastards where you live. Hit them and they just get maaaaaaad... On bad one land on my crotch a few weeks ago. My heart stopped for the duration of its visit.

See? And all you guys think we Aussies have a mortgage on nasty critters! 
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Quote from: jumbojak on September 11, 2018, 01:37:05 AM

:-\ Can't even buy MEK in this state anymore. You can still buy acetone, since it is not a producer of photochemical smog. In fact, if one wants to buy paint thinner, it's going to be some soup that is mostly comprised of acetone. Go figure.