News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Did You Know?

Started by Red_Cloud, October 11, 2019, 03:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red_Cloud

DYK. . .."Casu marzu" literally means "rotten cheese," but in Sardinia, it's a glory to behold. What starts off as a regular wheel of pecorino is then visited by cheese flies that lay their eggs inside, giving the formaggio its signature zing. But, with a nickname like "the world's most dangerous cheese," you can be sure that along with the cheese comes some risky business. Still, a handful of artisans continue to produce the traditional cheese, cementing its status in Sardinian culture. :wormpeek: :wormpeek: :wormpeek: :wormpeek: :wormpeek:

[/b]   

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 11, 2019, 03:17:43 PM
..."DYN - Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system?" that's just too well known.

Yes, but did you know that if Jupiter was larger it would have been a star? It's made of the same stuff but didn't have enough mass to start nuclear reactions within the core. We could've had two suns in our solar system.

Now, with all this heat I'm glad Jupiter is just the 'vacuum cleaner' of the solar system. :watching: I couldn't handle two suns.  :nu-uh:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on October 11, 2019, 08:59:47 PM
Quote from: Tank on October 11, 2019, 08:56:11 PM
What I noticed in the Netherlands is that foreign language TV programmes are never dubbed but subtitled and there are loads of foreign language TV programmes!

That is because we are cheapskates. It is cheaper to subtitle than to dub. BTW since we are so much used to subtitles, we now hate dubbed TV-programmes and movies.

Dubbed films. Argh! :bleh:

Some movie theatres here only show dubbed movies. It's horrible.

No one

Were you aware that, if you fling enough shit, some of it will stick?

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 11, 2019, 11:39:38 PM
..."DYN - Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system?" that's just too well known.

Yes, but did you know that if Jupiter was larger it would have been a star? It's made of the same stuff but didn't have enough mass to start nuclear reactions within the core. We could've had two suns in our solar system.

Now, with all this heat I'm glad Jupiter is just the 'vacuum cleaner' of the solar system. :watching: I couldn't handle two suns.  :nu-uh:

IIRC from my Solar System Astrophysics class, it wasn't all that far off from being a temperamental bastard and "igniting". We wouldn't be here to diss the old boy!  :smileshake:

Michael1

Did you know that in Franeker, the Netherlands there is the oldest still working planetarium in the world? It was built with nails and rotating wooden discs, in the house of the creator (Eise Eisinga) about 250 years ago.

And yes I'm Dutch and I speak 3 languages: Dutch, English, half German and half Spanish  :D
I liked the earth before it was cool.

Red_Cloud

DYK. . . There are 10 times more stars in the night sky than grains of sand in the world's deserts and beaches, scientists say.
Astronomers have worked out that there are 70 thousand million million million - or seven followed by 22 zeros -
70000000000000000000000 stars visible from the Earth through telescopes. :faints:

Bad Penny II

"DID YOU KNOW?"
I have come to the realisation that the majority of members here on HAF have IQ scores which fall well below the 70s.
Now, before you all jump out of your seats waving your fists about in indignant rage, I hasten to add that I number amongst the lowest of the low. I joined this forum for enlightenment. But what do I find? . . . Yes! You are correct; I find threads like  "The Next Person... (true or false)" and "Ban The Poster Above You".

Well the thing is we've already solved all the problems in the multiverse, so now we just do inane stuff.
I bet it's similar for the gods, they're probably just hanging out playing anal hoopla.
https://www.amazon.com/Manbound-SS950-16-Anal-Ring-Toss/dp/B00163I91M
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 12, 2019, 01:47:18 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 11, 2019, 11:39:38 PM

IIRC from my Solar System Astrophysics class, it wasn't all that far off from being a temperamental bastard and "igniting". We wouldn't be here to diss the old boy!  :smileshake:

Is it true that most known solar systems have more than one star though? :chin:

Dark Lightning

Yes, which would mean that life as we know it would be incredibly unlikely there.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 12, 2019, 03:18:44 PM
Yes, which would mean that life as we know it would be incredibly unlikely there.

Why?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Red_Cloud

Quote from: Tank on October 12, 2019, 05:09:15 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 12, 2019, 03:18:44 PM

Why?
I too would ask why?
Life as we know it, is just that, life as we know it!
But look at how life has evolved and adapted here over billions of years. Life adapts and changes, many of the David Attenborough TV programs show this. How plants, marine animals and  terrestrial animals have adapted to changes even in our own lifetime.  :tellmemore:
But look at how life has evolved and adapted here over billions of years. Life adapts and changes. Many of the David Attenborough TV programs show this. How plants, marine animals and  terrestrial animals have adapted to changes even in our own lifetime.
Peregrine falcons are listed as an endangered species in New York State. They were eliminated as a nesting species in the state by the early 1960s, due mainly to pesticide (DDE) residues in their prey. The release of young captive bred birds from 1974-1988 helped lead to their return as a nesting species. At least 17 breeding pairs of peregrines live within the borders of the five boroughs, the densest known population of urban peregrines in the world. The new generation adapted to the concrete canyons, towering bridge supports and steel skyscrapers of Gotham, redefining falcon habitat.

I know this is a rather unimpressive example, but it is one I quickly picked to put up here.

Venus's day is longer than its year. It completes one rotation every 243 Earth days. It orbits the Sun every 224.65 Earth days, so a day is nearly 20 Earth days longer than its year. So there could be a distant planet in a distant solar system with a narrow Goldilocks zone which moves across the planets surface. And plants and animals would slowly migrate to follow this zone.

No one

Because jesus is particular to single star solar systems.

xSilverPhinx

The human brain has about 86 billion neurons and each "typical" neuron makes 1,000 to 10,000 synaptic contacts. If you count the number of synapses it exceeds the number of stars in our galaxy.

No one

How many of those neurons are firing on all cylinders though?