News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Miss USA - Should Evolution Be Taught In Schools? Top 15 dumbest answers!

Started by Tank, February 16, 2012, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

The response that most encouraged me was the woman who said she was raised Catholic, and she thinks evolution should be taught because the Catholic church has no problem with it, and accepts evolution (although they do of course go for theistic evolution, but still). Why do I find what she said encouraging? Because out of everyone there, she was the only one who didn't necessarily throw science out the window just because of her belief system. The majority of Catholics I know have no problem with evolution. Anyone living in the Bible belt, hearing that response, might just have thought "hmmm... you mean, someone CAN be OK with evolution?" and maybe it got someone thinking.

I'd sooner see someone accept theistic evolution than outright creationism. At least that way, you've got some ground you can talk with them on.

As for any of the beauty pageants themselves... I refuse to watch them. Like BCE and Tank said... like a cattle auction.

Also, for the other responses, I think some of them were carefully calculated to be as non-committal as possible. Saying the wrong thing can get you eliminated long before the swimsuit round.  :P

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Amicale on May 09, 2012, 03:35:27 PM
The response that most encouraged me was the woman who said she was raised Catholic, and she thinks evolution should be taught because the Catholic church has no problem with it, and accepts evolution (although they do of course go for theistic evolution, but still). Why do I find what she said encouraging? Because out of everyone there, she was the only one who didn't necessarily throw science out the window just because of her belief system. The majority of Catholics I know have no problem with evolution. Anyone living in the Bible belt, hearing that response, might just have thought "hmmm... you mean, someone CAN be OK with evolution?" and maybe it got someone thinking.

I'd sooner see someone accept theistic evolution than outright creationism. At least that way, you've got some ground you can talk with them on.

Though in that sense they're a bit more "evolved" than other theists who are into creationism, it's still a bit...meh because they accpet it because their church leaders say they can (that it's been tested and deemed safe, basically ::) ), and not on its own merits.

And then you get popes saying the oddest things, such as "Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes." Major WTF?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Firebird

Maybe the other 35 states had smarter answers? Maybe? I hope?... :-[
And not to be superficial, but a lot of these women aren't even that attractive.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Angler28

They're not attractive. Most of them have so much make up on, it looks like some Crayola's gang banged their face.

I gave myself a headache rolling my eyes so hard when Miss Virginia said, "Bits and pieces should be taught... so we can figure out what we want to believe is true."

.....really?

This is one of the main problems with the religious, they cherry pick.
"The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work."