News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

am I an athiest-really?

Started by beatty, May 10, 2012, 02:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: applesauce on May 12, 2012, 06:53:50 PM
When I was new to message boards, my writing style was all exclamation points - I was afraid people wouldn't see my post or respond, and I was just over eager. I also started random polls that weren't necessary just *because* there was a poll function and I wanted to use the hell out of it, cuz I thought it was cool it even existed. I've also joined websites that I couldn't find later on, because I couldn't remember the name and couldn't figure out how to use the bookmarks, and couldn't remember the phrase I googled which led me to the website in the first place.

All of these are good points and well worth keeping in mind generally when dealing with new members -- I can remember having the same problems when I was new to the online world.  Your sympathy does you credit tho I frankly feel it's wasted on the OP, for reasons I won't get into in the interests of civility.

Quote from: Amicale on May 12, 2012, 07:07:05 PM
Beatty, if you're still around, I'd appreciate clarification of your poll, but I'd be happy to just chat about the issue, too. I'm truly sorry you lost your dad.

That goes for me too.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

En_Route

Quote from: applesauce on May 12, 2012, 06:53:50 PM
QuoteJust look at the poll, it's an obvious exercise in urine extraction, with its restatement of the first two options with exclamation marks and the fifth option a smartarse non-sequitur plus  the question itself is both ludicrous (how is anyone supposed to be able to form any kind of judgement in the absence of any background information) and is clearly designed to take a rise out of atheists by replaying the the old deathbed conversion shtick.

I don't think it's obviously or clearly anything. I would've thought the posters here would be more inclined to wait for harder evidence, instead of jumping the gun. Even in nyc, there are some families that never had computers in the household and some people have never even touched a computer. Then there are families where they've always had computers, but no one is allowed to be on the internet, or they simply never had an internet connection and just use word processing.

When I was new to message boards, my writing style was all exclamation points - I was afraid people wouldn't see my post or respond, and I was just over eager. I also started random polls that weren't necessary just *because* there was a poll function and I wanted to use the hell out of it, cuz I thought it was cool it even existed. I've also joined websites that I couldn't find later on, because I couldn't remember the name and couldn't figure out how to use the bookmarks, and couldn't remember the phrase I googled which led me to the website in the first place.

Now that I've actually had years of experience with message boards and I've actually worked in my school's IT department and took basic computer programming classes - it still took me a while to adjust to HAF. The tiny reply font in the blue boxes, and the replies within the replies are sometimes indistinguishable to my eyes.

As for the poll, Beatty could've been joking and serious at the same time. It's no different than if you were talking to someone in person offline, and they were all "OMG hi!! Should I get cheese fries?? I want them...but I don't knowww!" It doesn't mean we should pre-emptively take the piss out of someone that just needs someone to talk to, when we don't know what their situation it -___- Even on yahoo answers, I see a lot of people post questions like "Help!! Idk what to do??? How do I know if [insert problem here]!!" Usually, people are just scared and are eager for replies.

I admire your generosity of spirit if not your acuity.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).