News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

am I an athiest-really?

Started by beatty, May 10, 2012, 02:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 11, 2012, 03:26:20 AMSlowly accumulating legitimate posts to one day wake up and start posting useless dribble.

I resent that, it infers we are disingenuous.
I for one started posting useless dribble and have continued to consistently do so.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 11, 2012, 02:43:53 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 11, 2012, 01:39:06 AM
I hope so (had to ask ;) ). It's just what Egor himself said about signing into forums as if he was an atheist ::)

I'm 66.6% sure one of you are Egor, just trying to narrow it down... >.<

If you want to be fallaciously certain, I can tell you that it isn't me and you'll be 100% sure that it's BooksCatsEtc ;)

I've reached an epiphany. I'm going to assume that any trollish person posting is Egor. :-\
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx link=topic=9991.msg170561#msg170561If you want to be fallaciously certain, I can tell you that it isn't me and you'll be 100% sure that it's BooksCatsEtc ;)

Damn!  Now I have to learn how to cross my legs with inconvenient plumbing.

QuoteI've reached an epiphany. I'm going to assume that any trollish person posting is Egor. :-\

Or an Egor.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 11, 2012, 04:41:33 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx link=topic=9991.msg170561#msg170561 If you want to be fallaciously certain, I can tell you that it isn't me and you'll be 100% sure that it's BooksCatsEtc ;)/quote]

Damn!  Now I have to learn how to cross my legs with inconvenient plumbing.

QuoteI've reached an epiphany. I'm going to assume that any trollish person posting is Egor. :-\

Or an Egor.

Yes, more like. My detection abilities have become rather unrefined these days, I can't even tell a Poe from a non-Poe anymore. ::)

The Magic Pudding

The experienced investigator knows when his quarry fears imminent exposure.
The subject starts making silly mistakes, stuffing up quote tags for instance.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 11, 2012, 05:34:16 AM
The experienced investigator knows when his quarry fears imminent exposure.
The subject starts making silly mistakes, stuffing up quote tags for instance.
:P
Sandy

Tank

Back on topic please folks.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on May 11, 2012, 07:28:18 AM

I'm not really sure what the topic is. 

Was the OP's father an atheist?  Only the OP's father knew that and he's dead so he can no longer be asked. 

Is the OP an atheist?  Only the OP knows that and it seems a rather simple question for him to answer -- believes in gods, then no; doesn't believe in gods, then yes.

Are there death-bed conversions from atheism to theism/deism?  Possibly, but none of us have had any experience of it second-hand (and obviously not first-hand).

Assuming the OP is not a drive-by poster, I'd really like to have those poll choices explained because I don't know what in the world they're supposed to mean. 
Sandy

Crow

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 11, 2012, 03:49:42 PM
Was the OP's father an atheist?  Only the OP's father knew that and he's dead so he can no longer be asked. 

Exactly, and there is no point in guessing.
Retired member.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 11, 2012, 03:49:42 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 11, 2012, 07:28:18 AM

Assuming the OP is not a drive-by poster, I'd really like to have those poll choices explained because I don't know what in the world they're supposed to mean. 

I'm thinking OP is in fact a drive-by-poster. He hasn't logged in since the day he posted this. I imagine if this question was burning at him for three years, and he finally got the courage to ask it, he would have checked in on this thread by now and clarified his poll answers.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Ali

Does that mean we can go back to posting dribble?  Or are we required to keep sussing out whether or not the OP's father was an atheist?  I say we hold a seance and ask him.  Oh Ghost of OP's Father....hear me from beyond the veil of the grave (I'm talking in a spooky voice now, hold hands if you're frightened.)  Ghost of OP's Father (henceforth to be known as GOPF, because I'm tired of typing that phrase) please reveal to us your secrets!  Knock once for yes if you were an atheist!  Knock twice for no, if you were not an atheist.  Do not knock at all if it turns out that this poster has no intention of ever returning to the forum.  We await your answer with bated breath, oh GOPF. 

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on May 11, 2012, 09:46:21 PM
Does that mean we can go back to posting dribble?  Or are we required to keep sussing out whether or not the OP's father was an atheist?  I say we hold a seance and ask him.  Oh Ghost of OP's Father....hear me from beyond the veil of the grave (I'm talking in a spooky voice now, hold hands if you're frightened.)  Ghost of OP's Father (henceforth to be known as GOPF, because I'm tired of typing that phrase) please reveal to us your secrets!  Knock once for yes if you were an atheist!  Knock twice for no, if you were not an atheist.  Do not knock at all if it turns out that this poster has no intention of ever returning to the forum.  We await your answer with bated breath, oh GOPF. 

I think you answered your own question.  :D

If he was an atheist, it's not like he'd have a soul that would turn him into a ghost we could consult with.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Yeah, I may be judging prematurely, but it looks like this poster is a troll, just stopping by quick enough to post a question we can't answer and not logging in again to answer our posts. ???

Amicale

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 11, 2012, 10:11:08 PM
Yeah, I may be judging prematurely, but it looks like this poster is a troll, just stopping by quick enough to post a question we can't answer and not logging in again to answer our posts. ???

Eh, it's been less than 48 hours. I think we have to remember that not everyone's as addicted to HAF as they OUGHT to be. Like us.  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Amicale on May 11, 2012, 10:53:44 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 11, 2012, 10:11:08 PM

Eh, it's been less than 48 hours. I think we have to remember that not everyone's as addicted to HAF as they OUGHT to be. Like us.  :D

Right. :-\ That's reality hiting me smack in the face.

Okay, I'll wait and see.