News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

am I an athiest-really?

Started by beatty, May 10, 2012, 02:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beatty

when my father was alive he declared his atheism loud and clear, on his death bed he called for the priest. Was he just hedging his bets or was he really a believer in a god????

applesauce

I don't understand...are you asking if you're an atheist, or are you asking if your father was one?

beatty

sorry for confusion, was just wondering if anyone knows someone who suddenly decided they needed a god before they died if they were an athiest, it's taken me 4 years to ask this question...

xSilverPhinx

I don't know anybody personally who did.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

beatty

I'm new to this-or, any forum and can;t figure out how to read replies, tho i've gotten this one, it's by fluke, anychance anyone could give me a quick tutorial, if i can get it that is...ta

Recusant

Quote from: beatty on May 10, 2012, 03:33:22 AM
I'm new to this-or, any forum and can;t figure out how to read replies, tho i've gotten this one, it's by fluke, anychance anyone could give me a quick tutorial, if i can get it that is...ta

Hello and welcome to HAF, beatty. First let me address this question. There are at least a couple of ways that you can check on any replies to this thread (thread being a term describing a conversation such as this one). When you log in, you can look on the top of the page, and click on either "Show new replies to your posts" or "Show unread posts since last visit." For now, "new replies to your posts" will give you a page which will only have this thread on it, assuming that somebody has replied to it since the last time you logged in. "Unread posts" will bring you to a page in which all threads that have a reply since your last visit (up to a certain time limit; not sure exactly what that limit is) will be displayed. You will of course be able to recognize your thread, and you can click on it to see the new replies. Also, the main forum page with all the various sections shown is another way to find this thread. Click on "Laid Back Lounge" and your thread will be shown there, whether it has had an answer or not. I hope this wasn't confusing; feel free to ask if you would like any clarifications.

The main topic discussion of this thread doesn't really belong in this section of the forum, which is not intended for serious topics. It will likely be moved to a more appropriate section, and you won't have access to it until you've made ten posts: I suggest you let it rest until you've made an introduction post, and have got to know us a wee bit better, and we, you.

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: beatty on May 10, 2012, 03:33:22 AM

There are topics addressing the basics here - http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?board=39.0
If you have the thread open your browser refresh button will cause new posts to be displayed.

Why would a life long atheist call for a priest on their deathbed?
Fear of death, fear in general can lead to crappy decisions.
Dying people are often doped up, not a state conducive to rational decisions.
I don't think he would have gained access to some higher plane of knowing, you could get him to fill out a lotto form just in case though.
Most atheists think god's existence is very unlikely but if you're breathing your last it wouldn't hurt to attempt to please god.  Which one though?

DeterminedJuliet

nope - never heard of it, personally.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 10, 2012, 05:21:31 AM
nope - never heard of it, personally.

I once heard of a woman who, after a lifetime of ignoring religion, was confronted on her death bed by a priest she hadn't asked for.  She threw a book at him and died with a smile on her face.  I've always hoped this wasn't an urban legend.

I think the OP's instance is one of those atheists in foxholes things -- you have to figure it happens sometimes if not as often as theists believe or wish.  As to what the true motivation was in his dad's case, unfortunately only the dad could answer that question and he's dead.  It's just going to have to be one of life's many mysteries.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

ThinkAnarchy

I don't fully understand the answers to the poll. But I have never personally known any atheists who did that, but I have also never personally known any atheists who have died. I don't think anyone knows the answer to that question other than him though.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 10, 2012, 05:47:46 AM
I don't fully understand the answers to the poll.

I also don't understand what the dad's possible atheism has to do with the OP beliefs or lack thereof.  My dad's deism certainly did not make me religious, and if anybody could have swayed me by personal example, it would have been him.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

applesauce

Hi, beatty. I want to give a detailed answer to your question, but I need time to think about it. I usually like to type out what I have to say on MS Word, then re-read and edit before posting. But welcome to the forum! A lot of the new posters here are young and only recently turned atheist, or are questioning. We're all figuring this out together :)

Tank

Hi beatty

Firstly, welcome to the forum, new members are always welcome. When you are a little bit more forum nettiquette you'll get to know that reading the rules is always a good idea as forums have little individual quirks. Ours is that we like to get to know new members a little before we get into deep discussions. In part this is to dissuade that group of people who just like to shit disturb on forums. So we have a 10 post requirement before a member gets let lose across the forum.

It's for this reason that I'm moving this thread to Life as an Atheist where you will be able to see it but not comment until your 11th post. Please don't take this to heart, it's just our way of working.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

We can't hide from the possibility (though everyone here seems to have given it a good try) that he just lacked the courage of his convictions. More reason to conscienciously reinforce your own - either way - perhaps.

If he died having reassured himself then who are we to say he was wrong?

Who knows how we'll all react on our deathbeds, but given the time to accept the end is near, I like to think I'll be staring oblivion in the eye and saying "bite-me!". I'll just be wholly gutted to leave the party.

The closest I've come to emotionally facing my mortality was when I'd come a cropper on my bike at the top of a pretty steep and high drop-off. As I flew through the air staring at the trees, rocks and roots into which I was to imminently smash, it was thoughts of my (then) g/f and unborn child that dominated. I'm pleased with that!

epilogue: DS was already a week overdue at the time - he was born a week later. The proud Father/baby photos bare witness to the 14 stitches in my head, 9 on my nose, concussion, broken nose and broken wrist. I've never been forgiven for ruining the photos  ;D

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 10, 2012, 02:48:52 PM
We can't hide from the possibility (though everyone here seems to have given it a good try) that he just lacked the courage of his convictions. More reason to conscienciously reinforce your own - either way - perhaps.

If he died having reassured himself then who are we to say he was wrong?

I agree with this.  I think that theists love the story of the deathbed conversion (which honestly makes me a little wary of the poster since this is the very first thing they want to talk about.) But regardless, when someone is facing immenent death and perhaps feeling desperate to believe that they will "live on" somehow, I certainly don't begrudge them whatever comfort they scrape together.