News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

I just told my mom I'm atheist

Started by musicality, April 28, 2012, 07:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Quote from: musicality on April 29, 2012, 07:44:05 AM
Thanks so much for the support everyone.
I hope one day I can actually be completely open with her without having to tip-toe around it. I know she'll never really agree with me. But after that night, I think she realized how important it was to me. When looking for a house to rent today, she actually took into account my opinion on an email sent by a potential landlord who seemed to be a little too over-zealous by repeating God throughout the email. It made me feel really good that at least some of the things I said sunk in.

This is certainly a very good sign. Despite her misgivings, she ultimately cares most about you and what will make you happy. Baby steps.
Best of luck, you took a very brave step.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

applesauce

I haven't been to this forum in ages. I meant to reply to your other thread "because people with faith have better hearts" but I never got around to it,   and now I'm not sure where that thread went. You're a lot braver than I am! I don't think I could ever tell my mom. When I refused to go to church one time, I got kicked out of the car. It wasn't that big of a deal because in nyc, you can take public transportation easily, so it's not like I was left stranded. My mom felt really bad afterwards. She didn't exactly apologize, but later, she just tried talking to me as if nothing had ever happened. It was her own way of showing she was sorry...The actual words aren't that important. Anyway, did you check out the link I gave you last time (the freethinkers website)?

kitty

Quote from: musicality on April 28, 2012, 07:26:56 AM
She thought I still believed in a higher power/god.
And I told her no.
And she looked away from me and I felt that aching pain in my chest.
I felt her disappointment in me.
I told her (and our family friend) about how I became atheist...educating myself, taking religion & philosophy classes, realizing contradictions, etc.
And all she could do was look at her phone and play a game.
I mentioned how lonely I was because of it and that I joined this forum & how I'm still a good person.
She couldn't even look at me. Our family friend just smiled at me and kept looking at my mom to see her reaction...or non-reaction.
And then she changed the subject.

thats pretty much how i reckon my mum will react when i'm brave enought o tell her. she'll probably cry coz she'll think i'll go to hell, or she'll just change the subject.
tonight she asked me about going to church and about whether or not i would be doing the christian aid envelopes this year. i simply said no to both, but i should've been braver and told her why.
one day...

i suppose i could be ballsy and just say it, but she's my ma and i love her, i dont want to hurt her feelings.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)