What do atheists believe about ghosts, UFOs and the paranormal (skeptics too?)

Started by jimmorrisonbabe, April 26, 2012, 06:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Possibility of there being life in other parts of our galaxy or universe? Very likely.

Possibility of it being intelligent enough to send and interpret signals? Not as likely, but if the universe is infinite, then it's bound to happen somewhere else just as it happened here.

I'm very skeptical of stories of alien abductions though.A much higher possibility that it's due to psychological reasons and flaws in perceptions, which are way more likely and common in humans. ;D  

Quote from: En_Route on April 28, 2012, 12:51:03 PM
I can verify the existence of alien abductions, having abducted several myself. They are willing workers and cheap to feed, subsisting cheerfully on a diet of custard and carrots.

LOL

As for ghosts, I would think that it's associated with a belief in the supernatural and afterlife, both of which atheists usually dont subscribe to. Anyone know of an atheist who does believe in the afterlife?  ???
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Amicale

Yes, I know more than a few atheists who believe in some form of an afterlife. They don't believe in God, and they don't believe in heaven or anything like that, but they do believe that the energy in our bodies goes on in some form... so they think that energy could very possibly continue on somehow. I know more than a few atheists who, for that reason, think that ghosts and spirits are possible. They make comments like "well, if ghosts exist that's cool, it would just be some form of energy that scientists haven't proven/discovered yet."

For me, the subject of ghosts is a highly debatable one. If scientists came up with a very good, rational explanation for ghost sightings, I'd be willing to examine it. Mostly though, I think people see and hear what they sometimes WANT to see and hear.... and I also don't discount the mind playing tricks on you due to mental illness, or lack of sleep/oxygen/water, etc.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Amicale on April 29, 2012, 07:14:48 PM
Yes, I know more than a few atheists who believe in some form of an afterlife. They don't believe in God, and they don't believe in heaven or anything like that, but they do believe that the energy in our bodies goes on in some form... so they think that energy could very possibly continue on somehow. I know more than a few atheists who, for that reason, think that ghosts and spirits are possible. They make comments like "well, if ghosts exist that's cool, it would just be some form of energy that scientists haven't proven/discovered yet."

For me, the subject of ghosts is a highly debatable one. If scientists came up with a very good, rational explanation for ghost sightings, I'd be willing to examine it. Mostly though, I think people see and hear what they sometimes WANT to see and hear.... and I also don't discount the mind playing tricks on you due to mental illness, or lack of sleep/oxygen/water, etc.

How odd, would make for some interesting conversations. ;D I've never met an atheist who also believes in ghosts...

history_geek

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 29, 2012, 06:56:34 PM
Possibility of there being life in other parts of our galaxy or universe? Very likely.

Possibility of it being intelligent enough to send and interpret signals? Not as likely, but if the universe is infinite, then it's bound to happen somewhere else just as it happened here.

I'm very skeptical of stories of alien abductions though.A much higher possibility that it's due to psychological reasons and flaws in perceptions, which are way more likely and common in humans. ;D 

I totally agree with you.

As for afterlifes and ghosts...yeah, heh, who believes in those, heh....

Well, I did believe in ghosts, and do in a way fantasize about us having a soul (along with every other living being...or maybe I should say "a repository of our accumulated experiences in life". That might be more accurate to what I mean when saying "soul", as opposed to the usual "copy -paste body in spirit form"...), and that we could be reincarnated. I'm sorry but the idea of being born again on another planet is just too much fun ;D

Those are pretty much what I consider as remnants of my old way of thinking that I have mostly sorted out. But really, it would be so cool to be born as an "alien" or something... :-\
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Amicale

History_geek, don't be hard on yourself for having a good imagination. :) I agree with you that it would be VERY cool if that were possible. There are a lot of things that would be a lot of fun, and really interesting, if only they were true or possible. There's no problem in wishing something were true, or imagining the fun you'd have. It's only when we take those possibilities and turn them into dogmatic certainties that the problems start. ;)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

history_geek

Quote from: Amicale on April 30, 2012, 12:51:23 AM
History_geek, don't be hard on yourself for having a good imagination. :) I agree with you that it would be VERY cool if that were possible. There are a lot of things that would be a lot of fun, and really interesting, if only they were true or possible. There's no problem in wishing something were true, or imagining the fun you'd have. It's only when we take those possibilities and turn them into dogmatic certainties that the problems start. ;)

Well that's certainly true. Thanks Amicale :)

And certainly it is a lot fun to imagine all different kinds of life forms that you might end up as ;D

Until you hit the bug department....or what if I were plant instead :o

I know that Asmo would most likely be a rock looking, carnivorous plant. One moment it looks like a rock, but if you get too close or sit on it, it goes "Nom!" ;D (So stole that from one of the mangas I read a while back, but still :p )
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Amicale

Quote from: history_geek on April 30, 2012, 01:17:14 AM
Quote from: Amicale on April 30, 2012, 12:51:23 AM

Well that's certainly true. Thanks Amicale :)

And certainly it is a lot fun to imagine all different kinds of life forms that you might end up as ;D

Until you hit the bug department....or what if I were plant instead :o

I know that Asmo would most likely be a rock looking, carnivorous plant. One moment it looks like a rock, but if you get too close or sit on it, it goes "Nom!" ;D (So stole that from one of the mangas I read a while back, but still :p )

:D @ "Nom!" - It's a LOLAsmo! "Om nom nom... burp."

And yes, it's REALLY fun to imagine what we could be, or do. For instance, superpowers have always fascinated me. (yes, I'm a nerdy geek, or a geeky nerd, take your pick). It's my most fervent desire to be able to fly. Just lift off the ground and sail through the air. When I was a kid, I was firmly convinced I could do so. In fact, watching the movies "Peter Pan" and "Hook" probably produced an entire generation of children who tried to jump off their porches, roofs or sheds, and fly. I know I did.  :D

xSilverPhinx

'Nom!'

*looks to the left...looks to the right*

"Chomp. Chomp."

A fertile imagination is cool, as long as you're not confusing it with what's really out there or what you think is out there.

Just too add: I do believe in UFOs. I know for a fact that Unidentified Flying Objects might be flying out there, I just find it slightly amusing that some people say they know what an unidentifed object is, and what's worse, that it's from outer space and hosts an alien crew. ;D

Amicale

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 30, 2012, 01:28:26 AM
'Nom!'

"Chomp. Chomp."

A fertile imagination is cool, as long as you're not confusing it with what's really out there or what you think is out there.

Just too add: I do believe in UFOs. I know for a fact that Unidentified Flying Objects might be flying out there, I just find it slightly amusing that some people say they know what an unidentifed object is, and what's worse, that it's from outer space and hosts an alien crew. ;D

I once was hit hard, in the right shoulder, by an unidentified flying object.

Turns out it was a baseball. It was flying, but I didn't identify it in enough time to either catch it, or get out of the way.  :D

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Amicale on April 30, 2012, 01:50:55 AM
'Nom!'

"Chomp. Chomp."

Turns out it was a baseball. It was flying, but I didn't identify it in enough time to either catch it, or get out of the way.  :D

There you go! :D

Now the only thing missing is the alien snot-nosed youngster who threw it in your general direction...

Call The History Channel. They might like to shoot a story based on this. 

Amicale

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 30, 2012, 02:18:50 AM
'Nom!'

"Chomp. Chomp."

Turns out it was a baseball. It was flying, but I didn't identify it in enough time to either catch it, or get out of the way.  :D

Now the only thing missing is the alien snot-nosed youngster who threw it in your general direction...

Funny you should say this. The last time I turned on the History channel, they were re-running a Star Trek: TNG episode. The next time I turned it on, it was Ice Road Truckers, followed by "World's Deadliest Storms" -- and all of those turned out to be recent. Apparently "History" means "our budget sucks and we have no imagination, so here's some sci-fi, some reality TV and some cheesy narration".

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Amicale on April 30, 2012, 02:53:26 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 30, 2012, 02:18:50 AM
'Nom!'

"Chomp. Chomp."

Turns out it was a baseball. It was flying, but I didn't identify it in enough time to either catch it, or get out of the way.  :D

Funny you should say this. The last time I turned on the History channel, they were re-running a Star Trek: TNG episode. The next time I turned it on, it was Ice Road Truckers, followed by "World's Deadliest Storms" -- and all of those turned out to be recent. Apparently "History" means "our budget sucks and we have no imagination, so here's some sci-fi, some reality TV and some cheesy narration".

The Discovery Channel wasn't too far behind when I would watch it, though still superior to the History Channel. To tell the truth I gave up on watching those programs, I just do a YouTube search for documentaries on subjects I like and so am not nearly as disappointed. BBC is the best. ;D

It's funny (and kind of sad maybe) to see what people are wanting to watch in general. These commercial channels usually answer to the public's whims. Evolution or devolution of  programming? ::)

Hector Valdez

What do I believe about aliens or ufo's? I used to believe that there was probably some sort of conspiracy going on with the U.S. government and all that brick-a-brack. Then I learned more about u.s. government and the intelligence level of us as a species and decided that our leaders just aren't that smart.

Same thing with the literati: How could a handful of men, about eight or nine, possibly have it together to span control over all the myriad groups of the earth, with all their diversity? Dass 'sum Buulshit, right dere...

xSilverPhinx

Angler28

I don't believe that aliens are among us or visiting. Just seems highly unlikely to me, and I agree with Stephen Hawking that if they have the technology to come all the way from wherever it is that they came from, they will see us as insects basically and either enslave us or exterminate us.

I do however believe that there is other life out there. There is no way that out of all the trillions and trillions of galaxies, our planet is the only one with life.

As for ghosts, I have a theory for you all to consider and I want to know what some thoughts are on it. I know a lot of people have seen some strange, unexplainable things in their lives, I am no exception. I see it as it hasn't been explained yet. Now my theory.

Do you think it's possible that when people visit 'haunted places' there is some sort of temporal disturbance that creates a window if you will, into the past. This allows the person to catch glimpses of the past and that sense that they are not alone. When they get the feeling that someone is watching them, or they make direct eye contact with a ghost, the disturbance is so strong that both ends can see through.

What the theory boils down to is there is a perfectly good, scientific explaination for everything and the subject of ghosts is no different. There is so much about the universe and the way things work that we don't know, that will eventually be explained.

As far as if I believe in ghosts as being dead people's spirits floating around? No way. A physical anomoly that can eventually be explained through scientific research and testing? Yes.
"The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work."