News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Dealing with religious co-workers

Started by Sweetdeath, April 21, 2012, 01:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Hey guys, i kind of felt the need to post here because i just started a new job this week. It's nothing glamourus; i just survey people for their opinions on French colonges.

My boss is pretty cool. She's Buddhist, which is okay...but she also strongly believes in Zodiac signs and other crap i could care less about. One of the first things she asked me was when my birthday was, and then went "oooh, i see, you are a Sagittarius."
Wtf..
And my other coworker is Catholic, married to a Muslim, constantly has been asking me why i dont believe in god or zodiac signs...

I just want to work and get paid!! Leave me alone. I hate feeling like an outcast, but all week, we ate lunch together, and all six coworkers are excitedly learning about their special zodiac signs/tarot readings, etc. i feel so annoyed, but i'm also new worker.

I dont know what to do. I often want to slink away and eat lunch alone, but we have to in constant contact. Our boss monitors us as we worl every 40 mins or so. She's really nice, but why must she belive in such bogus stuff? :(
She's like "as an atheist, you have no faith. I cant imagine that. "X_x...ugh...
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Firebird

Besides the one co-worker, does everyone take the zodiac sign/tarot card stuff seriously? Or is it more of a fun diversion for everyone? If it was just the latter, I would say just smile, nod, and joke about it, or just leave it alone.
However, it sounds like it goes beyond that based on your description. It's your first week, so maybe the questions will just die down, or they'll notice you're uncomfortable with it after a while. You could take your boss aside and explain nicely that you're uncomfortable talking about your personal beliefs at work if it becomes a real issue, but I'd recommend waiting longer before doing that.
Curious to see what happens.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Firebird on April 21, 2012, 02:22:19 AM
Besides the one co-worker, does everyone take the zodiac sign/tarot card stuff seriously? Or is it more of a fun diversion for everyone? If it was just the latter, I would say just smile, nod, and joke about it, or just leave it alone.
However, it sounds like it goes beyond that based on your description. It's your first week, so maybe the questions will just die down, or they'll notice you're uncomfortable with it after a while. You could take your boss aside and explain nicely that you're uncomfortable talking about your personal beliefs at work if it becomes a real issue, but I'd recommend waiting longer before doing that.
Curious to see what happens.

Yeah, i feel like if it becomes an issue next week, i may say something, but i have only worked 5 days. I go back Monday.
I just dont understand why some people are so interested in my personal life. So irritating.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Whitney

You can't really do it now since you already discussed religion with coworkers...but I have a "i don't discuss religion at work" policy.  I never bring it up myself and if someone else does (unless they happen to agree with me) I quickly kill the topic by pointing out that that sort of discussion tends to be difficult in a working environment so I'd rather not talk about it.  The same goes for politics...if it comes up I stay away from any hot button topics or comments; usually light politics conversations are okay but you have to be careful.  In my current working situation the purpose of avoiding the topics is to avoid making the person working under me uncomfortable as I don't think she'd feel comfortable voicing disagreement even though her disagreeing civilly wouldn't bother me at all.  It's too bad your boss doesn't understand how her talking about her beliefs so much could make others feel uncomfortable...you may even have coworkers who are playing along because they feel they have to.

Sweetdeath

Yeah, i really wished i would have shut it down before the religion window opened.
But for now, i can attempt to politely decline any further involvment in such discussions.
Because let's be honest, i'm here to  work/make money...not make friends.

xSilverPhinx

Hats off to you if you can get through those moments without breaking into a bout of serious sarcasm. I just couldn't do it. ;D

Astrology? Seriously?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Take The God Delusion to work and read it during your lunch  ;)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MariaEvri

I am in a work where they believe in god srongly, zodiac signs, even witches!!!
They are the kind of people that will talk behind your back, so even though I hear something said that I know the corerct answer to, I just shut up and grind my teeth. There is no reason to argue and have them hate me, they already feel uncomfortable already.
Just try to ignore it and make your paycheck
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Sweetdeath

Yeah, Astrology! I mean, what a joke. Why would it seriously matter when i was born?
My japanese coworker even asked my bloodtype (cuz they do judge you by that in Japan!! What the crap?!) I wanted to scream, but i actually dont know my bloodtype, so i said so. X_x

I appreciate everyone's responses. :)

ThinkAnarchy

I don't really have any advise since I have never had any problems with my bosses or co-workers caring about my atheism. I have always been just another employee. The few that were agressive towards me were always put in their place by my bosses or other co-workers shunning them instead.

If you would like to have some fun after you have been their long enough to miss a day. You may want to call in sick by saying, "I can't make it into work today, my horoscope says I have been working to hard lately." See if the manager accepts that as a valid excuse. I'm still curious if they actually believe it, or just use it as a fun diversion as another member has suggested.

Hopefully your newness will wear off soon and people will go about acting normal with you.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Whitney on April 21, 2012, 03:06:38 AM
You can't really do it now since you already discussed religion with coworkers...but I have a "i don't discuss religion at work" policy.  I never bring it up myself and if someone else does (unless they happen to agree with me) I quickly kill the topic by pointing out that that sort of discussion tends to be difficult in a working environment so I'd rather not talk about it.  The same goes for politics...if it comes up I stay away from any hot button topics or comments; usually light politics conversations are okay but you have to be careful.  In my current working situation the purpose of avoiding the topics is to avoid making the person working under me uncomfortable as I don't think she'd feel comfortable voicing disagreement even though her disagreeing civilly wouldn't bother me at all.  It's too bad your boss doesn't understand how her talking about her beliefs so much could make others feel uncomfortable...you may even have coworkers who are playing along because they feel they have to.

This is a very wise approach.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stevil

I've been in the workforce for about 15 years or so and I've never really discussed religion with anyone at work.
Besides a quick chat with an Indian colleague at the pub, which was just me wanting to know some details about what Hindu is, why some people drink alcohol, why others don't etc, why one guy we knew drinks alcohol sometimes but not at other times.

Religion is just not something that is spoken about at work, we all respect each other's beliefs and just don't need to know what they are, it has nothing to do with work.

This horoscope stuff, it seems to me to be a teenage girl thing, you know, trying to work out love compatibilities, my wife was into it in her teenage years with her two BFFs, but she grew out of it. I don't think I would consider it fun, its just a bore. I wouldn't even be able to fake interest in order to participate with the group. Surely your workmates must see that you are not interested in the topic.

If they keep asking you about your lack of faith, maybe just politely ask them to respect your position, and that you don't want to explain or justify this to anyone.
If they continue then have a word with your manager/boss that it bothers you and creates tension between you and the others and that you simply want to do the best job you can.
Your boss has the power to stop this harassment.

Sweetdeath

Haha, stevil. I like your teenager /bbf statement. That's exactly what it reminds me of!! 
Everyone i work with is at least 35. I'm the youngest, which is why this whole situation purplexes me. :\

Hector Valdez

Arg. Gurgle. I should have shut my mouth at work, but I was so excited about being an atheist that I told everyone at work. Even the customers. Not the wisest decision. >Xo

Tank

Quote from: The Semaestro on April 22, 2012, 08:40:25 AM
Arg. Gurgle. I should have shut my mouth at work, but I was so excited about being an atheist that I told everyone at work. Even the customers. Not the wisest decision. >Xo
Ooops!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.