News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

"We're praying for you!"

Started by Dobermonster, April 17, 2012, 09:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on April 18, 2012, 07:16:18 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on April 18, 2012, 12:07:11 PM
Precisely. Then The Asmo can put on an even more Asmo-like expression than usual, take a long pause and say "NO.  >:( "

Or not even bother.

There's power in the not even bothering.
Yes. Great power. But there is also great satisfaction in "... ... NO.  >:( "
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

history_geek

Or someone could try what Hitchens apparently did.

Religious person: "I'll pray for you"
Hitchens: "And I'll think for you"

That might confuse a few for a moment or two to give you time to slip away...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

keithpenrod

Quote from: history_geek on April 18, 2012, 09:13:42 PM

I am definitely using that.

AnimatedDirt

If you sneezed in public and some random person said, "Bless you." and didn't give you a second look; does this also raise feelings of scorn towards them for forcing their Theism on *you?

Dobermonster

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 18, 2012, 11:07:28 PM

If you sneezed in public and some random person said, "Bless you." and didn't give you a second look; does this also raise feelings of scorn towards them for forcing their Theism on *you?

Interesting that you equate a polite expression with a desire to intermediate between and individual and God. If there are still people out there who say "Bless you" and mean "I instill a blessing upon you to prevent evil spirits from entering your nostrils", I haven't met them.

Sweetdeath

I am so using this! :D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sandra Craft

That's a great comeback but I couldn't use it -- I can barely think for myself, never mind other people.  And anyway I don't really care if anyone is praying for me and says so, so my response is usually "thank you" (because 9 times out of 10 it's kindly meant) or if I'm in a flippant mood, "couldn't hurt!" (because it couldn't, and might do them some good).
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

The Magic Pudding

I don't think there is a god.
If there is I've said things it wouldn't like.
Maybe god isn't omni everything.
Those ancient wise guys thinking up their gods,
they remind of children, oh ye well my robot has laser eyes.
Oh ye well mine has anti laser eyes and a big hammer that pops out of its ear!
My robot is infinitely powerful so nerrr.
Mines double infinitely powerful (blows raspberry).
Anyway leave me out of your prayers.
On the off chance there is a god maybe he won't notice me.

hismikeness

I've pointed out to people, when they say they'll pray for something on my behalf, that I'd prefer they not attempt to sway the natural order of things in my favor.

I will use an exaggerated bow, martial arts style, with my hands clasped as a thanks to them.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

history_geek

Quote from: Dobermonster on April 19, 2012, 12:30:49 AM

Interesting that you equate a polite expression with a desire to intermediate between and individual and God. If there are still people out there who say "Bless you" and mean "I instill a blessing upon you to prevent evil spirits from entering your nostrils", I haven't met them.

In Finnish we never "bless" anyone for sneezing. Or at least not many that I have heard of. Instead we say "Terveydeksi" ("For health" or "To health").

And I definitely have to use hismikeness' idea. ;D Sounds fun, even if there might be a small possibility that people would think that I'm Buddhist or something... :-\
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

OldGit

As in German, where one says Gesundheit (health).

Dobermonster is right, I think - "Bless you!" after a sneeze is merely an empty formulaic tradition, whereas when they say they'll pray for you, it actually announces an unwelcome act.

Asmodean

Depends. If the person is a total stranger who has never spoken to me prior to giving that useless sneeze response, (s)he would get some minor scorn for responding to an act that demands no response at all. It's like commenting me on scratching my beard - WHY?!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

I didn't equate it.  I asked if it was equally scorned.

Dobermonster

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 19, 2012, 03:51:23 PM

I didn't equate it.  I asked if it was equally scorned.

Oh ok. Then no, because it's in no way equally comparable.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Dobermonster on April 19, 2012, 06:16:43 PM
Oh ok. Then no, because it's in no way equally comparable.

Now I know what I can say and not offend the Atheist.